77 Beetle V6

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
WidgetBean
Drip
What model do you have?: 1977

77 Beetle V6

Post by WidgetBean »

Hi all. Ok so i am going back and forth with the gearbox thing. i have a kombi box with side shafts and kombi trailing arms but it just seems like a huge amount of extra unnecessary work and then still making the rear wheel brake system work with disks. What is you comments on mounting the 3L V6 onto the beetle original box to avoid having to physically make a suspension and also the disk brake conversion kits are widely available, now my Question will the beetle box be strong enough for the v6? Bare in mind that i'm not going for a crazy fast car or anything, just like the idea of a V6 Beetle so its just a normal dead standard 3L V6 out of a Ford Cortina. I know a few of you wont and don't agree with me hacking up a beetle to fit the V6 but again, i just like the idea of it 8)

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: 77 Beetle V6

Post by sean »

Hello

I don’t want to be evil or badmouth your idea, but I’m giving you an honest answer. Your idea will not work, forget about it. Besides it making a beetle just look ugly with that engine hanging out the back, you will not be able to get it into a drivable state.

A beetle gearbox is designed for a maximum of 37kw, and even that power breaks them. Now you want to put a 100kw into it..... let’s not also forget the extra weight of the V6 that will probably just break the bellhousing apart.

What do you intent to do about the cooling?

You really should become more familiar with aircooled vw’s before you carry on trying to do this.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

and not to mention the added weight will make the car horrible to drive.
Remember, you are putting the weight behind the rear wheels, so the ass is going to sag and wonder all over the road, plus the weight where it is will try to lift the front tyres (see-saw) and you'll end up with an unstable front end.

You have to ask yourself.... why dont you see more V6 beatles on the road?
I'll guarantee you that its been done before and I'll bet you they either scrapped the car or sold it very shortly after

And no, your gearbox will not survive.
And you'll have to fabricate extra mounting points for the front of the gearbox to keep the nosecone where it is supposed to be, again, you'll be pivoting the gearbox around the axles and the nosecone will be what is trying to lift the front of the car - now by moving the nosecone up, your gear shift linkage will get stuck or jam and you will have plenty fun trying to change gears.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

When young, we fitted a Porsche 6 cylinder twin turbo to a Beetle and ran it up the then un-opened N1 highway.

We had so much wight in the nose, with cement bags, and still the nose lifted on every rise in the road.

Needles to say the engine came out and a Beetle 1600 went back.

Nice to say you done it, but sad as its not a daily driver at all.

omo

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Post by Haans »

My late dad always said,......gaan le tot die lus oorgaan!!!!

My advice to you ,.....listen to the ghurus,........

Haans