Golf parts in a beetle

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Re: Golf parts in a beetle

Post by bugspray »

:drunks: Im gonna go back for the lights this weekend, i didnt buy em thinking they not gonna fit. The velo rims i sold haha. Still got the weel caps for now. Im looking for an engineer to make me adapters. I'll post a pic of the rims im going to use till i get cash to score Gti ones.
Being an part time employed students not the best.

More than meets the eye!
Matt
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '78 1600

Post by Matt »

dude, u dont need an engineer. anyone who can operate a lathe would be able to help. ive seen people offering adapters for R200/R250 each.
dont think u could get it for much cheaper...unless u got a contact for cheap steel, and u got a turner who will do the job for peanuts.

if u in umgeni road again, up that little alley on the left of volkspares. theres some performance/tuning place that deals specifically with golfs.
those guys recently built a killer buggy-and they were putting a set of mags on....speak to the owner, maybe they can make a plan for a good
price. im not sure where he got them from, but maybe he had them made up.
bugspray
Floorpan
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Aaawesome man. Yeah shot. I'll give em a looksie. Yeah i have been quoted 250ea. Some other dude told me 2k for a set, so i thought thats the going price.
Whats new with the Yella monsta?
More than meets the eye!
dubster
Valve
What model do you have?: buggy and '74 beetle

Post by dubster »

Dude speak to calooker on the site im sure he can also hook you up...when you updating the pics of your ride in my ride?
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

''BLOOD AND TEARS WILL FLOW FOR ACVW'S,FOR LIFE''
bugspray
Floorpan
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Wsup man. Hws GP treating you? My Pc was virused so im using my phone at the mo. But wil update asap.
More than meets the eye!
Matt
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '78 1600

Post by Matt »

no plans for now...need more cash
OD_1
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1976 1600S

Post by OD_1 »

:zhelp:

Hi everyone! :lol:

I'm seriously interested in buying a beetle! I stay in Cape Town, but i wanna get a beetle from the inland to avoid the rust issue.

I am totally non-technical, but I was wondering does any other VW engines fit into the beetle?

Reason. I seriously love beetles, but like i said before, i'm not technically minded so I thought having a more modern engine might make it easier to maintain. Hopefully wanted to keep it VW. Other reasons, I'm a nature conservation student and a serious nature & outdoor lover! It disturbs me a bit that the beetle engine is so eco-unfriendly, or so i've heard.

Thirdly, I love traveling, and would like to do some long-distance trips with the beetle. Is this possible? Any tips? I woud assume it would be more possible with a differenct engine it it?

So ya, if anyone can answer any of the above questions... that would rock :hangloose: :drunks:
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

OD_1 wrote:Other reasons, I'm a nature conservation student and a serious nature & outdoor lover! It disturbs me a bit that the beetle engine is so eco-unfriendly, or so i've heard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

If this relates to the 'carbon footprint' debate, I think we should keep in mind that all Beetles in South Africa are AT LEAST 31 years old. They were manufactured in an era that only the most basics of construction materials were used - like steel, glass, rubber and a little bit of plastic. The impact it had on the earth 31 or more years ago during the construction was, IMHO, minimal.

What does it take to construct a modern car? Yes, they are more economical and have less harmful emmisions than simple Beetles - but doesn't the manufacturing process of a modern car (and the potential recycling process the day it comes to an end) outweighs the old smoky, oil-leaking but reliable Beetle?

Remember, if you buy a Beetle, it is potentially one less 'new' car on the planet..
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much... :oops:

I hear you... Valid points... :)

Just to clear things up. I have no intention of starting a carbon footprint debate. :bn:

What of the other VW engines. Do any of them fit into a beetle? :zhelp:

With minimal effort i mean... I'm sure none of them fit straight in.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Water cooled (read: more eco-'efficient') engines like those from a Golf or a Nissan 1400 are a popular conversion, but it is a bit more complicated than just a straight fit. The biggest setback is the fact that you have to cut the nose of the Beetle for the radiator, and run plumbing under the chassis for the water pipes. Most of the Forum members here (including myself), are rather opposed against it...
JamesD
Carburettor
What model do you have?: SP 1600

Post by JamesD »

Pick me, pick me, I wanna add my 5 cents!!!!!!

All you Prius driving earth killing prats! Yes, you heard right! your Prius kills the earth more when its manufactured than it saves being fuel economical! its more earth friendly driving an RS4...

nuff said :wink:
From fastest to slowest:

Birkin race car, not much is standard
Lotus Elise 111R, almost everything is standard
'75 SP 1600 with a few mods
B8 A4 Avant tdi, towing made easy
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

I can understand why you'd be aposed. Its like a wolf in sheeps clothes!

What kind of "conversions" or "customisations" can be done to a standard classic beetle engine to make it better equiped for lond distance travel aswell as more eco-efficient!

I'm sure theres gotta be something!

I would prefer to bring a dying beetle back to life, without turning it into a mutant... but I need people with technical know how to tell me if my day dreams have any ground in reality!

Lemi know...
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

OD_1 wrote:I'm sure theres gotta be something!
:roll:

JamesD
Carburettor
What model do you have?: SP 1600

Post by JamesD »

I might come under a bit of criticism here but, I guess you could jet your carbs to run slightly leaner than required, that will give you a more complete combustion and hence more environmentally friendly? though your engine will run hotter and you might lose some reliability.

But lets look at it from a different perspective. If you have a well maintained beetle, carb in working order, ignition working properly, exhaust is in good condition with no holes, no leaks on your inlets and the engine is set up perfectly. so everything works well, you will have a very reliable vehicle, point one! the car weights less than most modern cars hence you have less weight to lug around = fuel saving. If the engine is sound then you wont have terrible emissions to start with, point two. if you drive nicely then you can get a very decent fuel economy, point three.

now add those three points together and you will be using less fuel than a lot of modern cars at more emissions per liter fuel burnt, so what, they kind of average out in my mind. i mean, i respect you for wanting to save the earth, but the better way is to save what nature we have left instead of changing engine to something that will most probably put out as many emissions as a beetle engine.

BTW, certain Subaru engine also work...
From fastest to slowest:

Birkin race car, not much is standard
Lotus Elise 111R, almost everything is standard
'75 SP 1600 with a few mods
B8 A4 Avant tdi, towing made easy