Vasek polak Splitty

No not Dalmations, pictures of ACVW's you spotted!
Boolseye
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Vasek polak Splitty

Post by Boolseye »

Hey guys. Does anyone know the owner of this bus and perhaps have contact details?
Thanks guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: Vasek polak Splitty

Post by acpaterson »

wow, that is cool..
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

I think that bus used to belong to East Coast Classics, the sliding door rings a bell - perhaps they will know who the current owner is ...
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
kombiman
Drip
What model do you have?: 1962

Post by kombiman »

very rare splitty, that, sliding doors on both sides

it is sleeping in my garage in Somerset west
JC Rousseau
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 69,75split,75,79scab

Post by JC Rousseau »

nice nice nice kombi man
61 Beetle aka klapperkiste
68 Squareback viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34408
69 Kombi
72 Crew cab viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32846&hilit=1972+custom
75 Fleetline panel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32485&p=309053#p309053
79 Single cab
Boolseye
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Post by Boolseye »

kombiman wrote:very rare splitty, that, sliding doors on both sides

it is sleeping in my garage in Somerset west
PLEASE CHECK YOUR INBOX :D
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Never mind your inbox, PLEASE introduce yourself, and tell us more about you and that AWESOME Bus.. Welcome to the group pal.. VERY nice..

Alan
kombiman
Drip

Post by kombiman »

I have been under the radar on this site for many years, and have owned the Rat bus some time, I bought it from East Coast Classics, and then had the paint job done by Burt Upton RIP, we decided to honour Vasek Polak, the main man behind Brunos Racing in the USA. He had a bus and he towed his race car with it, so i thought it would be cool to base my Rat Bus on his transporter . all the graphics were painted on and then aged.

now I am let to believe this bus is part of three in the world with sliding doors both sides, as they were build to test the doors for the Bay window busses which were arriving as a replacement for the splitties. I am let to believe the other two van's are one in London, and the other is in a yard in Zim waiting to be restored.

we are having great fun with the bus, its not everybody cup of tea, and the majority question is which colour are you going to paint it, to which I reply , that to have the rust painted on cost a fortune , and anyway rust is a colour

hope to see all of you splitty fans soon
Kombiman
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

kombiman wrote:I have been under the radar on this site for many years, and have owned the Rat bus some time, I bought it from East Coast Classics, and then had the paint job done by Burt Upton RIP, we decided to honour Vasek Polak, the main man behind Brunos Racing in the USA. He had a bus and he towed his race car with it, so i thought it would be cool to base my Rat Bus on his transporter . all the graphics were painted on and then aged.

now I am let to believe this bus is part of three in the world with sliding doors both sides, as they were build to test the doors for the Bay window busses which were arriving as a replacement for the splitties. I am let to believe the other two van's are one in London, and the other is in a yard in Zim waiting to be restored.

we are having great fun with the bus, its not everybody cup of tea, and the majority question is which colour are you going to paint it, to which I reply , that to have the rust painted on cost a fortune , and anyway rust is a colour

hope to see all of you splitty fans soon
Kombiman
Welcome.

VW started playing around with sliding doors in '64.

They are rare, but there are definitely more than 3 remaining.

Nifty bus. :)
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

kombiman wrote:now I am let to believe this bus is part of three in the world with sliding doors both sides, as they were build to test the doors for the Bay window busses which were arriving as a replacement for the splitties. I am let to believe the other two van's are one in London, and the other is in a yard in Zim waiting to be restored.
As Merlin said, you have been misinformed. In fact, VW first offered sliding doors as a special order on split buses as early as 1951. They were on the standard options list from 1963. Sliding door split buses are unusual, rather than rare, and double sliders obviously more so. But there are many more than three of them in the world.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

Hi Kombiman...

We have been trying to track you down for a while, so Im sure Boolseye is glad to see you surfaced here.

I remember sitting in this a few years ago at the George Old car Show with Oliver and Jacques, nice bus.

But as Fig and Merlin have said, there are quite a few of these around in Europe as they could be Special Ordered. An option that was taken up more in Europe than anywhere else. I remember seeing German Bundes Post splitties with dual sliding doors, as well as newspaper and Milk delivery buses using the same option. It amongst others, allowed for delivery from the bus on both sides of the narrow roads, with out the delivery guy having to get out and walk around the bus to drop off the item on the 'other side' pavement.

I see a very cool, photo-shoot in your immediate future.... LOL!

Muds
Cape Town

Old School or Bust!
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Wonder how many Australian spec splits- (high air intakes), had dual sliding doors?
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Dawie wrote:Wonder how many Australian spec splits- (high air intakes), had dual sliding doors?
I suspect those vents were not Oz only, as I have seen them on many buses that came out of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, including this one. I've heard of several dual slider panels from Zim.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
kombiman
Drip

Post by kombiman »

thankyou for the feed back, what I didn't mention was that to the best of my info three was right hand drive , I am aware of more in Europe with sliding doors, but they are left hand drives.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Awesome bus.