Early Bay Panel

No not Dalmations, pictures of ACVW's you spotted!
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Early Bay Panel

Post by Donovan D »

Went for a cruise the other day. While driving through Fish Hoek someone yelled my name and I pulled over. It was Glenn Bouwer who Ive never met. We started kombi chatting and within 5min this beautiful Bay panel stopped across the road. The owner is also a kombi lover and uses the Bay at every opportunity.

Yesterday while building some much needed storage space and my van parked in the road, a guy stopped and gave me his sons details.
I got in contact and was sent this pic of his very clean 1979 Bay

---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Re: Early Bay Panel

Post by jolas »

Lovely looking '79 bus :)

A few weeks ago Sean and I helped the same Glen salvage a bus and we went passed that panel van going up Ou Kaapse Weg - also a nice looking bus
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

It is a nice looking Bus. I think there are still a few around Cape Town which are "under wraps" and don't come out often. I've been around all over and have only see 2 I don't know about.. But like the Speedy, get a lot of people coming up and chatting about Winston and how cool he is, etc etc..
josh_sher
Drip
What model do you have?: N/a

Post by josh_sher »

Hi all I live in Cape Town , new to this forum I am 18 at the end of March and I really want a Kombi for my first car , I don't know if that's a smart decision or not but I absolutely love them being my first car of coarse I can't spend a lot on it my budget would max at about 80k but the thing is I am not too mechanically minded as I havnt had a car yet, I realise that being an old car it will break down but I am hoping for a bay panel or normal window in good nick inside and out and engine wise I don't really know what's best but I'm basically looking for a Kombi that is as reliable as they come , my plan is to put a bed in the back my dad will work on it with me as a father son project and decorate the inside, the perfect car for an 18 year old guy :wink: Any advice would help and be appreciated and @donovan d that image of the Kombi that was sent to you, is he looking to sell it looks really nice ?
Wyntand5900
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '64 Beetle
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1964Toktokkie/

Post by Wyntand5900 »

I absolutely love that Bay panel.
Love the colour as well.
Wynand
1964 Beetle
Stoffel die Beach Buggy
1969 Double Cab
1970 Single Cab
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

josh_sher wrote:Hi all I live in Cape Town , new to this forum I am 18 at the end of March and I really want a Kombi for my first car , I don't know if that's a smart decision or not but I absolutely love them being my first car of coarse I can't spend a lot on it my budget would max at about 80k but the thing is I am not too mechanically minded as I havnt had a car yet, I realise that being an old car it will break down but I am hoping for a bay panel or normal window in good nick inside and out and engine wise I don't really know what's best but I'm basically looking for a Kombi that is as reliable as they come , my plan is to put a bed in the back my dad will work on it with me as a father son project and decorate the inside, the perfect car for an 18 year old guy :wink: Any advice would help and be appreciated and @donovan d that image of the Kombi that was sent to you, is he looking to sell it looks really nice ?
I doubt its for sale, I have not spoken to the owner again.

Having a kombi as a first car is not ideal imo. Its bulky and not a quick run around sort of car.
Saying that I sold my first car for my kombi, almost 10 years ago, and had to drive around with it as a daily for quite a while before getting another car.
It was lekker and we did do a couple of trips with all the friends, but I would get lifts where I could as driving it everyday did not turn out to be so lekker , especially if you just want to quickly go somewhere.
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
josh_sher
Drip
What model do you have?: N/a

Post by josh_sher »

Donovan D wrote:
josh_sher wrote:Hi all I live in Cape Town , new to this forum I am 18 at the end of March and I really want a Kombi for my first car , I don't know if that's a smart decision or not but I absolutely love them being my first car of coarse I can't spend a lot on it my budget would max at about 80k but the thing is I am not too mechanically minded as I havnt had a car yet, I realise that being an old car it will break down but I am hoping for a bay panel or normal window in good nick inside and out and engine wise I don't really know what's best but I'm basically looking for a Kombi that is as reliable as they come , my plan is to put a bed in the back my dad will work on it with me as a father son project and decorate the inside, the perfect car for an 18 year old guy :wink: Any advice would help and be appreciated and @donovan d that image of the Kombi that was sent to you, is he looking to sell it looks really nice ?
I doubt its for sale, I have not spoken to the owner again.

Having a kombi as a first car is not ideal imo. Its bulky and not a quick run around sort of car.
Saying that I sold my first car for my kombi, almost 10 years ago, and had to drive around with it as a daily for quite a while before getting another car.
It was lekker and we did do a couple of trips with all the friends, but I would get lifts where I could as driving it everyday did not turn out to be so lekker , especially if you just want to quickly go somewhere.
Understood the thing is my dad has two cars so if I needed to get somewhere quickly I would use that but I will try drive the Kombi as much as possible as a daily runner and they are getting rarer and rarer and I just really love them the trouble I have is the right one I do not know what exactly I am looking for I know I want a bay either panel or with Windows either way the seats will be removed and put a bed in the back and decorate it lekka but I'm not sure engine wise like air cooled or water cooled I don't know that stuff and also not sure where to even begin to look for one on good nick both inside and out and I've tried telling myself that it is impractical but the thought of having my own Kombi overrides any of those thoughts I just can't get myself to not want one in sure you guys will understand being Kombi lovers there's no other car that can substitute it , it's a special vehicle