SPorsche

No not Dalmations, pictures of ACVW's you spotted!
Herbie
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle SP 1600
South Africa

SPorsche

Post by Herbie »

There is a bit of SP (OK there is the steering wheel), a bit of Porsche and a lot of Frankenstein :D

Blood Type: VW+
1978 Beetle SP 1600
1963 Beetle
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: SPorsche

Post by Tony Z »

I'd roll in that
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Think it would look better with a beetle rear bodywork. Fits better in a Ghia or type 3 fastback body. Fits even better in a 411/412 sedan if used with Porsche transmission. (Gearshift linkage in same position at bottom). (Nordstadt express).

Around the 80's i seriously considered fitting a 911 engine into a beetle. Did the measurements and calculations. Engine and transmission would be moved forward, axles/cv joints running at an angle. Like VW did in 1968 with the 411, and Porsche changed the 911 in 1969 to also have the axles at an angle. Again VW did this in 1980 with the square transporter-3 (T25). Helps with handling by transferring weight from rear axle towards front.
Conversion been done before in mid-engine, but i find mid-engine layout so unpractical and boring. Plus it hurts acceleration- less traction.

So beetle's rear firewall would be moved forward. Torsion tubes moved outwards to make space for gearbox to move forwards, chassis modified and strengthened. Using 930 CV's, (designed to constantly run at higher angles), moving engine forward at least 110mm would be possible if i remember correctly. Actually "930 CV's", or any cv's, are not car-specific, but used on other cars as well.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Herbie
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle SP 1600
South Africa

Post by Herbie »

And then you get the guys who do the Boxster conversion where they basically just use the Beetle shell and everything below is Boxster. There was one for sale recently that came from the UK.
Blood Type: VW+
1978 Beetle SP 1600
1963 Beetle