G-Tech Electronic igntion conversion for beetles and other points based distributors

Get your parts here
Forum rules
Post only parts for sale here, no vehicles.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

G-Tech Electronic igntion conversion for beetles and other points based distributors

Post by Tony Z »

I have teamed up with Giga-Tech to market and distribute their electronic ignition conversion system for any points based distributor system with a 3ohm or higher coil (stock VW).

G-Tech Ignition systems now available in Cape Town

R850 each.
Installation can be arranged.
Contact Tony on 083 341 8937

Tired of unreliable points and condenser ignition systems? Always wanted the reliability of electronic ignition.
The G-Tech system solves all these issues. The condenser is no longer used and is discarded when installing G-Tech.
The points are kept and their lifespan is extended from approximately 5000km to the life of the rubbing block, essentially 40000km to 60000km. Yes, up to sixty thousand kilometers.

The Giga-Tech Electronic Ignition module is an inexpensive, easy to install, instant performance upgrade for older vehicles 4, 6 and 8 cylinder where the points & condenser ignition system is used.

By replacing only the condenser, the Giga-Tech ignition module combines the mechanical reliability of points and the performance of electronic ignition. Because the points now act as a “pulse trigger” having an extremely low trigger current, the points will function for many millions of cycles without any appreciable wear.

The electronic nature of the Giga-Tech ignition module ensures that optimum spark is delivered throughout the rev range, thus creating more efficient ignition system, resulting in improved all round performance and economy.
The Giga-Tech ignition module is an attractive bit of kit that most users are happy to mount where it can be seen, thus enhancing the under bonnet view. With the addition of the built in timing LED, engine setup is now made pleasurable where after a few easy steps, immediate indication from the LED illuminating will ensure suitable ignition timing.

Installing the G-Tech ignition module is quick and easy...
Cost of the module is R850. Bosch coil supplied separately if required. Please private message me directly for further information.

spicydave
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1973
South Africa

Re: Electronic igntion conversion for beetles and other points based distributors

Post by spicydave »

Can this replace the existing electronic unit on a type4 or not advisable ?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Re: Electronic igntion conversion for beetles and other points based distributors

Post by Tony Z »

I dont think this can do that.
The unit you have is (or should be) nearly indestructible.
it also uses a low resistance coil which will burn out the G-Tech due to the extra current (and load) going through it.
spicydave
Oil Seal
South Africa

Post by spicydave »

Tony Z wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm I dont think this can do that.
it also uses a low resistance coil which will burn out the G-Tech due to the extra current (and load) going through it.
Thanks Tony Z

I think the current unit is factory fit

All I’ve changed is a Bosch Blue Coil an Champion N7YCX plugs
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

spicydave wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:52 pm
Tony Z wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm I dont think this can do that.
Thanks Tony Z

I think the current unit is factory fit

All I’ve changed is a Bosch Blue Coil an Champion N7YCX plugs
If you have a electronic ignition installed (genuine hall sensor system), the blue coil is incorrect. You must purchase a TCI specific coil. Same one used on early Golfs, T3 kombis, Jette 2’s etc.
spicydave
Oil Seal
South Africa

Post by spicydave »

Tx Sean

How will I know

I’ve purchased the blue coil on your recommendation 🙈
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

spicydave wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 pm Tx Sean

How will I know

I’ve purchased the blue coil on your recommendation 🙈
Well, as standard, your bus comes out with a points and condenser distributor. The blue coil works fine with this.

If you have a electronic ignition, this would be foreign to your bus. It didn’t come out with that.

Take off distributor cap and send pic of the inside. Then we can tell.
spicydave
Oil Seal
South Africa

Post by spicydave »

Sweet, Will do that this afternoon and send details
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Re: G-Tech Electronic igntion conversion for beetles and other points based distributors

Post by Tony Z »

Current prices:
G-Tech = R890
Compatible Bosch coil = R750
andrej309
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle 1974
Facebook: andrej309@hotmail.com

Re: G-Tech Electronic igntion conversion for beetles and other points based distributors

Post by andrej309 »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:30 am Current prices:
G-Tech = R890
Tony Z wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 pm I have teamed up with Giga-Tech to market and distribute their electronic ignition conversion system for any points based distributor system with a 3ohm or higher coil (stock VW).

G-Tech Ignition systems now available in Cape Town

R850 each.
Installation can be arranged.
Contact Tony on 083 341 8937

Tired of unreliable points and condenser ignition systems? Always wanted the reliability of electronic ignition.
The G-Tech system solves all these issues. The condenser is no longer used and is discarded when installing G-Tech.
The points are kept and their lifespan is extended from approximately 5000km to the life of the rubbing block, essentially 40000km to 60000km. Yes, up to sixty thousand kilometers.

The Giga-Tech Electronic Ignition module is an inexpensive, easy to install, instant performance upgrade for older vehicles 4, 6 and 8 cylinder where the points & condenser ignition system is used.

By replacing only the condenser, the Giga-Tech ignition module combines the mechanical reliability of points and the performance of electronic ignition. Because the points now act as a “pulse trigger” having an extremely low trigger current, the points will function for many millions of cycles without any appreciable wear.

The electronic nature of the Giga-Tech ignition module ensures that optimum spark is delivered throughout the rev range, thus creating more efficient ignition system, resulting in improved all round performance and economy.
The Giga-Tech ignition module is an attractive bit of kit that most users are happy to mount where it can be seen, thus enhancing the under bonnet view. With the addition of the built in timing LED, engine setup is now made pleasurable where after a few easy steps, immediate indication from the LED illuminating will ensure suitable ignition timing.

Installing the G-Tech ignition module is quick and easy...
Cost of the module is R850. Bosch coil supplied separately if required. Please private message me directly for further information.

Hi Tony
I have sent you a whatsapp message but trying here as well.
I have a 1972 beetle and what to convert it to a electronic Ignition.
Will the Gtech conversion Kit work on it and do you have a branch in Johannesburg which i can take my distributor to do the conversion.
My number is 0828731199.
Thanks
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I've replied via whatsapp
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:30 am Current prices:
G-Tech = R890
New stock just arrived in house, same prices

New stock of G-Tech electronic ignition conversion kits just arrived in Cape Town.
Convert any points system to electronic cheaply and reliably.
Ignition system R890, new matching Bosch coil R750 excl courier fees.

Treat your classic to an upgrade. The Giga-Tech Electronic Ignition module is an inexpensive, easy to install, instant performance upgrade for older vehicles 4, 6 and 8 cylinder where the points & condenser ignition system is used.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Update to this post with some videos.

Engine running - this has been my test engine for the Giga-Tech with roughly 6 years of trouble free operation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dTLcmDtbik

And this video details the simplicity of the wiring of the Giga-Tech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBg8vnusISE
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Hi Tony, Question.....

If you leave the condenser in the Dizzy working, will it effect the unit if it goes open circuit, or if it blows...

Just need info to make up your mind if you should leave it in or cut the wire to take it out of circuit.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

The manufacturer recommends to remove thee condensor.
As yet, I haven't had an issue from keeping the condensor installed.
As you say, if it fails and shorts, it might cause an issue. But as the condensor is doing nothing due to the very low load, it shouldn't wear out. The condensors often fail by going open circuit (broken wire internally) and this won't present a problem.