Price check on my mild upgraded bug motor

Get your parts here
Forum rules
Post only parts for sale here, no vehicles.
Suhail69Bug
Drip
What model do you have?: 1990
South Africa

Price check on my mild upgraded bug motor

Post by Suhail69Bug »

Hi all

Just want some advise on what I can sell my motor for. Its not for sale at this moment but life doesn't always go as planned and I may need to let it go in the new year.

Specs:

1600 tp block. Completely line bored and reconditioned. Oil lines blown out an chemically cleaned thoroughly. New brass bushings for the pushrod/follower guides. Block is .40 thou. Crank an conrods have been reconditioned. Did the best I could with only using good quality stuff for the motor build. It has been built by a renowned engine builder from Durban known as "Chuki".

It has new 88mm pistons rings an sleeves to match. Chromoly push rods an upgraded/few mm's bigger cam followers. Cam has been upgraded as well to a 310 rotation for that nice grunt as it has a single 36 weber idf to be installed with it (carb needs a recon as I bought it an stored it so the seals looks like it has gotton abit stiff an I wouldn't recommend to use as is ) all rotating an moving parts internally have been balanced for smooth operation.

Heads have been fly cut and reconditioned properly. Has upgraded dual high rev valve springs.

Engine has been fitted with a high pressure bigger oil pump. I currently have the stock oil cooler fitted but I have imported a new empi external oil cooler kit with all adaptors,hose, clamps, fittings, 8 pass cooler and a oil filter adaptor. Still new in box. And a new empi chrome crank pulley and chrome nut an washer kit. Still sealed. Also has a powerflow custom one off exhaust system to go with. Pipe sizes where what the engine builder recommended to provide the best flow an back pressure as possible to make the engine run well.

Engine is currently a complete long block. I have misc spares to go with if needed.

There may be some more stuff done as this is all I remember at this moment.

All left to use this motor is to bolt on a a.c. pump. Dizzy. Alty and tins and you are set. I have tins for this but they could do with a respray.

Building this motor really broke the bank but I understand that this aircooled passion doesnt have a limit. Unfortunately it might have to be sold and I would like to know what I could for this if i have to sell.
Last edited by Suhail69Bug on Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Price check on my mild upgraded bug motor

Post by Tony Z »

have you driven this engine yet?
Suhail69Bug
Drip
South Africa

Post by Suhail69Bug »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:04 pm have you driven this engine yet?
Engine builder did start it and break everything in ( with the stock oil cooler an stock valve springs )
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

then try to sell it for what you paid
If all that you have said is correct about that engine, there isnt much that I'd want to buy, it'll be a horrible combination and a very difficult engine to drive. But thats my opinion, you might enjoy it and find it delightful
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

The problem with selling an engine, is that nobody is sure what is going on inside.

A motor on Gumtree has as much credibility as you engine,

Now do not get me wrong, you may have the best parts in it and may be what you say, but how sure are you that the mechanic did a good job, how does the new owner know for sure this is a good motor.

Thats why it is so difficult to put a price on a motor.

In the words of the "Great Fig", its worth what some one will pay.

Good luck and may you get the price you want.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

What everyone already said...

You definitely need a running motor, installed in a car. The new owner would want to take it for a drive, to have some confidence in what he is about to spend his hard earned cash on. That's your best bet at recovering cost, otherwise it is simply too risky, with too many variables. The new owner may also want some type of guarantee with the engine, which a reputable builder should provide. That may also assist in the sale.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Suhail69Bug
Drip
South Africa

Post by Suhail69Bug »

Thank you all on the input. I think I rather keep it and use it. I built this motor based on another car from the states. I loved the way it sounded when it was straight piped an wanted to built my own. Only thing missing on mines is big valve heads (35.5mm 40mm).

I think ill keep the motor an continue on with the build as I get a chance
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

good choice