All ghia owners !,

Get your parts here
Forum rules
Post only parts for sale here, no vehicles.
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

All ghia owners !,

Post by Haans »

:wink: Hi,....as far as I can fathom there are round about 20 type 14 owners on the forum. Cogita and I are the most "vocal",.....and yes maybe others are clandestine?,.....so lets get something going here,......From time to time L feel like a lost soul amongst the kombi's. Not to pee you kombi guys offf please,...I learn a lot from what is shared !

So! ...here is my issue,..

First the qtr post itself,..... the top lip sticking to the right,.. both are broken off,.....is riveted on and may have a plan to remove weld and refit,.....unless there is a better plan out there?
Secondly ,....that little black thingy above seem to be a filler for the space created by rubber and molding? ......never seen it before / was not there when stripping.
Now ,..I can import or has someone got a spare or 2 or sizes to see if it can produced out of say 1.6mm steel?

Talk to me,....anybody!

Ps Happy New Year!!

Haans

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: All ghia owners !,

Post by Tony Z »

@fourier
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

@Haans, I totally agree! The Ghia owners need to help each other out as far as we can. We all need some or other part for our cars. It would be very helpful to have a group of people sharing knowledge, parts, or location of cars being stripped for spares. That way we can hopefully find what we need to get the cars back to the way they should be, without having to import at great expense.

I have an early (Lowlight) Ghia, with fixed 1/4 windows, so the B-pillar design and seal arrangement is completely different. Unfortunately I can't help with advice, or the parts you need. I've bought good quality seals and parts from vintagecarparts.de in Germany. They may have what you need, if no one on here can help you.

Parts for these cars are notoriously difficult to find locally, as I've come to realise through no responses to my "wanted" adds on the forum, and elsewhere. I've had to resort to importing the correct parts.

I need a good engine lid for my car, and have tried for a while to find one locally, but with no success. Due to weight and size, this is not something I'm looking forward to importing, so if anyone can help with parts or info, that will be great!
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Haans
Camshaft
South Africa

Post by Haans »

😳,..fourier! Thanks,..now you've given me over to a hunt!!,......would a post'59 decklid fit a lowlight? Think itwill
How bad is yours ?
Ghias are a bit of a bastard to get parts locally,.....and those that know ARE dead! Quite !!!
Even to get a picture/photo or sample can be a mission.

Where are the rest of ghia custodians ?
Thanksboeta. Haans
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

Yip! Parts are very difficult to find locally, unless you move in the correct circles. I'm trying to find that circle, hopefully your post will help!

A post '59 decklid will fit. They had some subtle changes to the internal frame structure, and sheet metal below the vent area, over the years, but essentially all lids fit all Ghias.

Here are a few pics (courtesy of The Samba) of decklid progression over the years. The second pic is period correct for my car.

My lid has the usual rot on the bottom outer edge, as well as the bottom inner support structure. It will require metal work to repair properly. Skill I don't have...YET, but will need to be developed, if I don't find a good lid. I will need to fabricate a new inner structure and lower outer skin, so ideally looking for a lid without the rot. It's been that difficult just to find a lid, not even to mention, a period correct one. I will take any lid that is better than what I have!
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

You guys may find that it will be faster and cheaper then importing such a big section, to weld up small bits at a time and rework the parts you got.

When doing my Type 3 I had the same problem, and metal repos where not available at any price.

So I had to get a body man and between the two of us we made what was needed.

The biggest problem you will find, that even if you had 5 donor cars, the rot is always in the same places, so you can not make one full car from the lot.

Good luck guys and remember, that the guys on the forum will not reply if they can not help.

May I recommend you register on www.thesamba.com, as they have 100 times more KG all over the world, then we have here, so info will be more forthcoming.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

Thanks Herman, you are absolutely correct, I haven't found a lid that is not rusted in the same place as mine. Even importing one, does not guarantee a good result, as photos don't tell the full story.

I'll keep on looking for the unicorn, until I start the restoration. If I haven't found a good lid by then, I will have no other option but to repair it as you have suggested. Fabricating an entire lower inner structure, seems a little daunting though.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Repairing and making panels I done my Low Light and I bought most of the machinery to do the jobs and now its all done I can now sell some of the fabrication machines which kept my costs right down by doing it myself and picked up a few tips on the way.Good luck with the build..
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

I guess necessity will be the mother of invention. If I don't find the parts, I'll need to buy the tools and learn the skill. I'll have to visit Barry Ashmole to learn the basics.

Terry, which fabrication tools/machines did you find most useful during the bodywork repair of your car?
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

fourier wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:50 pm I guess necessity will be the mother of invention. If I don't find the parts, I'll need to buy the tools and learn the skill. I'll have to visit Barry Ashmole to learn the basics.

Terry, which fabrication tools/machines did you find most useful during the bodywork repair of your car?
I was thinking why not visit Barry to shape a new one. Can use the old reinforcements.

Would be good to see the result.
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

I was planning to visit Barry once the engine is built, and the car running again. He certainly has the skill to do what I need, just hope he has the time...
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Sorry guys just had to.Ghia Viper V10
[url=https://postimg.org/image/l7g7pqvgr/][img]https://s9.postimg.org/l7g7pqvgr/IMG_1694.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by Terry Phillips on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
white_356
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Splitty,356,Westy,KG
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

@Haans
Hi, also check https://www.karmannghia.com

I have ordered some trims etc from them in the past and received great advice and service.

Good luck.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1960 Split Window Kombi
1969 Beetle 1500 LHD (Project)
356 Speedster Replica
1970 Lowlight Single Cab Bay
1972 Westfalia
1989 Syncro (2.5 Suby)
2017 VW T6 Transporter 4motion
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Jdt1976 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm
fourier wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:50 pm I guess necessity will be the mother of invention. If I don't find the parts, I'll need to buy the tools and learn the skill. I'll have to visit Barry Ashmole to learn the basics.

I was thinking why not visit Barry to shape a new one. Can use the old reinforcements.

Would be good to see the result.
Its nice to have them all the tools and machines but you will need to first see what you are going to do and how far you want to go.I got more than the average guy but with back problems I did not want to battle so went that bit futher and it just made my life easier.
Haans
Camshaft
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Oops,......did I Touch a raw nerve?,.......thats ok ! Good thing to ruffle a few ghia feathers!!,......just a bit of a joke gents :D

I am glad I am not the only one with issues.

Glad to hear from you all. Know of a decklid but will have to go and inspect 1st if it is still there,....then condition! Know the skin has been patched at the bottom like most
Will report back when been

Still no one with a sample of the top piece as per my pic?

Haans