356 Replicas? who, where?

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: 356 Replicas? who, where?

Post by acpaterson »

I agree, Will keep my eyes and ears open then.. Will chat soon.

cheers

Alan

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

There's a good start. If it's the correct length, but there's nothing wrong with the price ad if it's a 1500sp, then you have the basis for a nice vintage looking engine. Sell the body for a few grand and the extras and you'll be into it for little money.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Gracias muchachos,

Agreed, the Wheelbase is paramount. I've got a fair number of options closer to home, and am in no rush right now, thanks guys.
I have managed to get Garth's email address, so am waiting on his honest opinion as well. I think realistically, it's a waiting game waiting for a reasonably priced 2nd hand car, and I don't think I have enough space and capabilities to single-handedly do a homebuild. It's pie in the sky.. Let's see what garth comes back with. :hangloose:

regards

Alan
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Chatted to garth, and, well it's going to sound like an echo in here, but it seems the going rate for a RTR is 100 K...
So, I'm out for now, will monitor junkmail and such, and see one day if a speedster falls out a tree.. But it doesn't look good for now.

thanks anyway.

cheers

Alan
62vwbeetle
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 62,66,69

Post by 62vwbeetle »

Who were the guys building the coupe replicas?
69 Baja, 67 cal look, 62 sleeper, 59 ghia cab , 66 Ghia 69 912,single cab split
riaanj
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: None ATM, oneday...

Post by riaanj »

62vwbeetle wrote:Who were the guys building the coupe replicas?
Panache cars, but Universal products are doing the full bodies for them as they are better setup for it & higher volume production..
Just keep on BUGGIN'
Protect the endangered, say NO to exporting our AirCooled spares & cars..

T6 Ranger 2.2TDCi D/Cab
307E Anglia panel-van
Honda CBR600RR
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Do yourself a favour, keep saving your money, cause one will pop up and when it does, you're going to have to act quick. I'll have a look around this side as well for you.

- G
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Guys,

A little bit of a "dig up" of this thread, but possibly it might assist future buyers\owners..
As some of you are aware, I managed to source and buy a very 2nd hand Speedster in JHB and brought it down to Cape Town. I'm now busy stripping it of any bits, and it's going in for a full sand down, fix up and then respray. I'm outstanding a couple of items, which I've decided to ease the pain, to simply try and order them directly from two of the manufacturers in JHB..
I've managed to get in touch with Logan Pillay from replicars (classic and Sports Replicars), however very inconsistent communication, and then Garth Waberski from Universal Products, also up on the East Rand..
I'm going on to week 4 and am yet to hear a response from Garth, who just doesn't respond to any form of correspondence. Logan eventually replied on email with some pricing, but no form of swatches, or colour codes, and this for items like a replacement Double Duck roof and a Complete Carpet Kit.. Garth hasn't even replied to the email.. I've sent him numerous emails, I've literally begged for info, photos, pricing, colours, and there's just no light at the end of the tunnel..

I'm not sure what more to add on here, I actually have no idea how anyone actually get's any kind of a car from these guys without plenty gnashing of teeth and frustration. alternatively, is the lack of interest because I'm not buying an entire Car from them perhaps? I don't understand this concept. I think I'm in for between 15 to 20 grand in spares, and I cannot seem to get any response from Mr Waberski at Universal Products at all.

Is anyone in the Gauteng area possibly going through to see them at some stage, perhaps the only way they do business is face to face?? or you can possibly ask him to please respond to emails on my behalf..

Comments or feedback welcome.

regards

Alan
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Welcome to the world of owning a replica speedster. This is why myself and Roger have decided to just make our own parts, that way when there are delays, there's only 2 people to blame. ourselves.

I hear that replicars are worse than normal as a new builder who contacted me ordered 2 bumpers and a roof and a few other things as well. Promises made and nothing delivered.

With these guys, my suggestion is to keep your expectations real low...................like real low.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Like, forget about it..

But what a shame, to sit on such a bloody Goldmine of a business (Based on what these things are selling for overseas).. Personally, I don't think there's enough Speedster business to sustain those molds, and they are therefore not focussing on them, or the associated spares. What a waste. (Or a Business opportunity for someone else..)

Gary, I want a Tan roof and a carpet kit and the dash panel and eye brow.. Do you want some money?

Comments?
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

acpaterson wrote:Like, forget about it..

But what a shame, to sit on such a bloody Goldmine of a business (Based on what these things are selling for overseas).. Personally, I don't think there's enough Speedster business to sustain those molds, and they are therefore not focussing on them, or the associated spares. What a waste. (Or a Business opportunity for someone else..)

Gary, I want a Tan roof and a carpet kit and the dash panel and eye brow.. Do you want some money?

Comments?
Yup, I hear what you're saying and with the reaction that I've got from everyone that we've dealt with the 911 renovation market in SA is even worse.

Dude, I'd love to help you out, but it all comes down to time in my books.........I simply don't have enough of it. I just have too much on my plate at this time.
Bossie2004
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '74 Volla

Post by Bossie2004 »

acpaterson wrote:Like, forget about it..

Comments?
Many moons ago when there was still communication from the EAST-RANT, I got the trailing mail from one GARTH:
Dear mr viljoen

We use miltons auto trimmers in spartan for our 356 soft tops.
It would be better if you deal directly with them. As they will give you more accurate lead times. Unfortunatly we do not make a hard top that fits the sppedster

Their number is 011 974 4129 ()
Speak to shaun

Your truly

Garth

If memory serves me well, Miltons at that stage (Jan'13) charged about R16k upwards.

Trust this will help with Roof & Carpeting Alan, give us some feedback if/when you've spoken to them?

Cheers,
Marius.
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
white_356
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Splitty,356,Westy,KG
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

I am all for supporting local suppliers, but I eventually grew tired of empty promises or being ripped off big time and ended up ordering my parts from USA... Sierra Madre Collection and Klasse 356 (for trims etc) and my Soft Top from Vintage Speedsters in California.

In most cases I could buy the parts (exchange rate included) and have them shipped here for less than I could find them locally and the quality was excellent.

Getting the soft top back to SA was a bit of a mission due to the size of the frame (uncut), with shipping costs alone ranging from R6000 to R18000.... it took a while as I had to have it brought back in bits and pieces over a span of 6 months, but the end result was that I had my Soft Top (the real thing - Stafast canvas), in the colour I wanted, in SA legally (everything declared) for less than R7000 - much less than I could have it made locally using black vinyl as only choice of product and colour available. The qoute I got from Replicars was in the region of R16000.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1960 Split Window Kombi
1969 Beetle 1500 LHD (Project)
356 Speedster Replica
1970 Lowlight Single Cab Bay
1972 Westfalia
1989 Syncro (2.5 Suby)
2017 VW T6 Transporter 4motion
white_356
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Splitty,356,Westy,KG
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

I am all for supporting local suppliers, but I eventually grew tired of empty promises or being ripped off big time and ended up ordering my parts from USA... Sierra Madre Collection and Klasse 356 (for trims etc) and my Soft Top from Vintage Speedsters in California.

In most cases I could buy the parts (exchange rate included) and have them shipped here for less than I could find them locally and the quality was excellent.

Getting the soft top back to SA was a bit of a mission due to the size of the frame (uncut), with shipping costs alone ranging from R6000 to R18000.... it took a while as I had to have it brought back in bits and pieces over a span of 6 months, but the end result was that I had my Soft Top (the real thing - Stafast canvas), in the colour I wanted, in SA legally (everything declared) for less than R7000 - much less than I could have it made locally using black vinyl as only choice of product and colour available. The qoute I got from Replicars was in the region of R16000.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1960 Split Window Kombi
1969 Beetle 1500 LHD (Project)
356 Speedster Replica
1970 Lowlight Single Cab Bay
1972 Westfalia
1989 Syncro (2.5 Suby)
2017 VW T6 Transporter 4motion