Okay, there cant be this few speedsters in GP

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
Retrobug
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1962 Beetle

Re: Okay, there cant be this few speedsters in GP

Post by Retrobug »

Ive seen two around my neighbourhood 8)
One white with big mags and plenty ride height and one sweet looking and sounding silver one. :flash:
Don't know if they know about each other :? but at least I get to see them on the prowl! :hangloose:

The two secrets to success: 1) Don't tell everyone everything that you know

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=24181
Manny
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by Manny »

retrovan wrote:
demorais01 wrote:
flatfourfan wrote:^^^ problem? Problem? I see no problem with that.
ITS A BIG PROBLEM, BELIEVE YOU ME
The only problem i see, is the same as all of us have,

and that is we can not,

and dare not tell our wife's what we spend on our toys......

:cry:

Herman

:D
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Lol..
jaa, I've done what I promised to my car, the body respray and new roof. That's it really for me. I refuse to continue spending for no justifiable reason.When mine's finished it'll look as close as dammit to a real car IN MY OPINION, and if I should sell it, it's certainly not with the intention that it's a real Speedster but a replica.
Just seen a stunning looking replica on the USA forum for 42 K!!! Thats close to half a Gorilla in ZAR's.. that is insane in my opinion...
sdudum
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 356; Beetle
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

Alan, what about the engine. I seem to have very bad luck on engines. I have gone through three (as in catastrophic failures) So my money seems to go more into the engine area. I am dying to respray mine and get my hands on a good running engine one day. But my list of todos is like this 1. Engine 2. Steering Box 3. Front Suspension (King,Link Pins) 4. Rear Suspension and Brakes 5. Respray and Recarpet.

If this list could be complete, I will have done my car proud.
I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Well, this Engine's running, it's a little "wet" here and there, but nothing to worry about. I've chatted to Tony Z about some headwork in the future, but considering what the number are the main players are putting out there for recons, I can't entertain spending 20 K upwards on this tech.. Someone's taking the Piss with those figures.. Unfortunately, I understand with the exchange rate screwing us over so badly, that the parts are so much more expensive, so a "warm" motor, with some dude's skill, easily goes through 20, 30 K upwards. Flat four quoted over 40 K for 1800 cc's.. !!!

You know what's a better alternative. You buy a Running beetle for 7 to 10 K.. Drive it, if the motor feels good, looks ok, then buy the car. Swap out motor, and sell beetle in spares to make up what you spent.. That's what I'd do if I had the space to store a junker.

For now, it's get my car back, drill, cut and fit all new dash, gauges, lighting, new roof etc. Do some redesign interior, fit dynamat, get carpeting finished, and lastly fit all new plated scripts. At some point, I'll drop my motor, possibly replace some tin, but def clean it up, respray, maybe redo some hoses, and thats that. Well, that's the plan buddy.. :-)

Al
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

acpaterson wrote:Well, this Engine's running, it's a little "wet" here and there, but nothing to worry about. I've chatted to Tony Z about some headwork in the future, but considering what the number are the main players are putting out there for recons, I can't entertain spending 20 K upwards on this tech.. Someone's taking the Piss with those figures.. Unfortunately, I understand with the exchange rate screwing us over so badly, that the parts are so much more expensive, so a "warm" motor, with some dude's skill, easily goes through 20, 30 K upwards. Flat four quoted over 40 K for 1800 cc's.. !!!
Huh? If I remember correctly I quoted you around 3K for a little headwork.
The thing is, you have no idea how much this little bit of work will wake up that engine.

40K for 1800cc, exactly the reason behind my thinking and upcoming plans. You will have to visit me soon Alan.
If I get my car from Bugger in July, I'll be building a test engine and hopefully marketing a same spec engine after that, for MUCH less than 40K
FWIW...
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

hey Tony,

we did chat about headwork briefly, but I wasn't referencing your work specifically, but more on what the other guys have been chatting about in other threads. It's up to the individual if he wants to spend a fortune on a warm motor or not..
Pls don't get me wrong this wasn't about your work at all, it's a general observation.

It's all good for now. When you ARE back, and when the Speedster's usable, we'll catch up for sure.

Al
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Cool, just checking, the way you wrote it it sounded like I was included in that 30K group.

Looking forward to catching up again
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

This is why I'm pretty adamant to get the mechanics 100% before doing any body work to the car or making it look good. If i have the show, I sure as hell want the go to match it. I took my speedy for a blast last weekend and a guy pulled up along side me telling me that it "sure as hell shifts". Pottering around town is fun and all, but these are sports cars afterall.

It's not a case of spending a fortune, it's a case of spending what you have to just to do normal maintenance.
sdudum
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 356; Beetle
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

So, guys...a question from me...where / how does one get a case that has not had the snot ground out of it...and a possibly a decent set of heads. I only have Volkspares to get stuff from and my tech guy really does not like Volkspares stuff, leading me to try and figure out where else to go ?
I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

sdudum wrote:So, guys...a question from me...where / how does one get a case that has not had the snot ground out of it...and a possibly a decent set of heads. I only have Volkspares to get stuff from and my tech guy really does not like Volkspares stuff, leading me to try and figure out where else to go ?
Get from Arno in Villeirsdorp, and courier it up.
028 840 2087

Or go to Bugger at VdubTech
071 659 4629

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc