Okay, there cant be this few speedsters in GP

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
sdudum
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 356; Beetle
South Africa

Okay, there cant be this few speedsters in GP

Post by sdudum »

I have to ask, where do speedster owners drive ? I have seen only one other speedster on the road since owning mine...Do you guys all live in Pretoria and Cape Town ? 2nd, do you drive your cars (Speedsters, I mean) regularly ?

I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: Okay, there cant be this few speedsters in GP

Post by acpaterson »

Dude, don't feel alone,
Go look at my thread about who are current owners.. 80% live in PWV area.. but everyone's working\rebuilding their cars..
There are NONE except mine in Cape Town.. lonely plekkie...
sdudum
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

Yeah Alan, it does kind of feel alone really, these cars are beautiful and they are hardly seen on the roads...I see a huge resurgence of the beetle on the roads these days as an example...so I know that aircooled is back on the rise...but very few Speedsters...would like to drive past another one just for the fun of it...not only when there are events....unless maybe the cars are specifically for shows only :shock: :? :(
I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

I hear you. At least you have Roger and Gary up there who are having\hosting get-togethers..
Otherwise, just enjoy your car dude.. They're stunning machines, and if you spend any time on the USA Forums, you'll see just how lucky we are to have them at the pricing we got them for.. The standard going rate is upwards of 250 K in US $.. we're SUPER lucky actually.

Can't wait tog et mine back from the bodyshop and to rebuild it again. Going to look extra special.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

Hey bud. I know how you feel. When I drive mine. I hope that someday I'll see one go in the opposite direction. But I know that my chances are slim to say the least. I've met 6 new owners through the add for palooza that I put in junkmail that I didn't know of before. So there are ways to meet new guys. There are a lot that are on going project cars and there are only a fe that are done to where the owners feel its done. They are never really done are they?

Alan one thing to remember is that there are plenty of crappy speedsters in the USA going for a few grand. The difference is labour in SA is a fraction of what the americans pay. A 25k US speedster is lightyears ahead of the best replicas in SA, just because of the details. I did the sums on manny's car and his isn't that far off what the Americans are spending on ther rides. Its not uncommon to spend 100K ZAR on the details.

We should seriously get together and do some wrenching days. Everyone earmarks a project that they want to do and we all get together and lend a hand. Everyone learns something too.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Ps.....I estimate that there are between 30-40 speedsters in gp in various stages of build.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Wow.. Good stuff..

I believe you on the pricing\accessories.. Having just bought a Tan top with Manny from VS.. I'm North of 110 K already..
sdudum
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

I have tried to not count how much money I am pouring into this hobby...I have not even gone authentic on mine, just making it my own, but I do believe I have poured a pretty penny as I also bought my top from the US, lights from the US, four beetle engines later, set of tyres....I do not want to know the amount...
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

That's why I kept all my invoices. Proud to still be around R15 000 under my budget of R80 000.I do however plan on spending at least R10 000 on the interior alone with leather though.
Mustang Sally
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Porsche 356 replica

Post by Mustang Sally »

I'm with Sdudum, not keeping accurate records. Figure repayments on new car is way more and rationalising that the fun I'm having (when he/she is running!) justifies most of the expenses. :lol:
Also haven't seen many Speedsters around my side of town but always lots of thumbs ups when I drive her in peak hour traffic. (Sorry Alan, the He-thing isn't working for me! :lol: )
Manny
Donor
Donor

Post by Manny »

flatfourfan wrote:Hey bud. I know how you feel. When I drive mine. I hope that someday I'll see one go in the opposite direction. But I know that my chances are slim to say the least. I've met 6 new owners through the add for palooza that I put in junkmail that I didn't know of before. So there are ways to meet new guys. There are a lot that are on going project cars and there are only a fe that are done to where the owners feel its done. They are never really done are they?

Alan one thing to remember is that there are plenty of crappy speedsters in the USA going for a few grand. The difference is labour in SA is a fraction of what the americans pay. A 25k US speedster is lightyears ahead of the best replicas in SA, just because of the details. I did the sums on manny's car and his isn't that far off what the Americans are spending on ther rides. Its not uncommon to spend 100K ZAR on the details.

We should seriously get together and do some wrenching days. Everyone earmarks a project that they want to do and we all get together and lend a hand. Everyone learns something too.
:zhelp: Well to date 157K ZAR and counting, the end is near, yet far from finish I am looking at 190K ZAR when its done, the problem it does not stop there .... :sobstory:
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

^^^ problem? Problem? I see no problem with that.
Manny
Donor
Donor

Post by Manny »

flatfourfan wrote:^^^ problem? Problem? I see no problem with that.
ITS A BIG PROBLEM, BELIEVE YOU ME
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

demorais01 wrote:
flatfourfan wrote:^^^ problem? Problem? I see no problem with that.
ITS A BIG PROBLEM, BELIEVE YOU ME
The only problem i see, is the same as all of us have,

and that is we can not,

and dare not tell our wife's what we spend on our toys......

:cry:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
sdudum
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

I know what you guys are talking about, very recently...like last night...Girlfriend sees me online and had just finished loading up a shopping cart on Sierra Madre website....got the silent treatment till we fell off to sleep...I guess today the topic will be started and I better have the right answers...