Speedster owners UNITE!!!!!!!

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Speedster owners UNITE!!!!!!!

Post by flatfourfan »

Oi oi oi.

Recently there has been a load of guys buying parts from from the US and myself and firebird decided to get our arses into gear and get some much needed stuff as well.

I placed an order from Vintage Speedsters http://www.vintagespeedsters.com/ and Roger will be ordering from Sierra Madre Collection http://www.sierramadrecollection.com.

Just a quick note. Carrera Motors in jhb sells the rear shine up light for a speedster for a little under R2500-00, I've seen the part and it's pretty good, but it's not OEM, its a reproduction part, pretty much like a lot of old 356 stuff. You do get good and bad parts by the way. CM's is pretty good.

I placed an order yesterday for 2 shine ups with vintage speedsters including shipping and I'm out of pocket R2390. That's R100 cheaper for 2 buying it from the US directly than what CM sells 1 for. I'm all for mark up, but I know when i'm being ripped a new one. Shipping also wasn't too bad either and was included in the price above.

Now.........................the cost of the parts isn't actually that bad, it's the shipping that's going to get us time and time again. So in future if anyone is looking at ordering parts from the US for their speedsters, let the rest of us know so that a few of us can get in on it as well and really bring the shipping down to peanuts.

I'm looking at placing another order from Sierra and Vintage in about a months time, once I free up some more cash. So if anyone wants anything for their car, then lemme know.

For smaller items, it's usually one flat rate across the board, obviously with larger items, there will be more shipping to pay. But I'm fine with splitting a flat rate between the amount of people ordering.

If anyone wants in, then it's an EFT required the day that the order is made and a heads up will be given a week before that happens. No COD.

Anyone keen?

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Speedster owners UNITE!!!!!!!

Post by Tony Z »

dont forget to add 20% imports and 14% Vat to the cost
sometimes you might get away with not paying the 34%, most times not...

good idea though
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Tony Z wrote:dont forget to add 20% imports and 14% Vat to the cost

good idea though
Yup..............all depends on the day though. Some stuff just comes through. If there is extra costs then obviously I'll be asking for that before releasing the parts.
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Gary I'm all for it. Will let you know if we ever need something. As for Carrera Motors, we do use them, but only if we really need to.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Yup, if you need something now, then CM fits the bill, but you obviously pay for that.
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

flatfourfan wrote:
Tony Z wrote:dont forget to add 20% imports and 14% Vat to the cost

good idea though
Yup..............all depends on the day though. Some stuff just comes through. If there is extra costs then obviously I'll be asking for that before releasing the parts.
FFF... click to http://www.myus.com and check out this site. I subscribed to them a few years ago and they basically allow you to order anything in the USA and have it sent to them in Florida. The benefit of this is that most companies / individuals offer free or cheap postage to US addresses, where as some vendors will only ship to US addresses.

What MYUS.com does is that they after registration, assign you your own suite or PO box address at their facility in Sarasota Florida. When registering, you choose the option and yearly payment option that suites you, and soon thereafter you can shop from your usual stores, or any other store in the US that is affiliated to myus.com

Benefits amongst others include:

Free repackaging to minimize dim weight
Free consolidation of multiple-store orders
Free Pre-shipment Screening for wrong, broken or prohibited items
Free Customs Documentation
Hand-delivery via premium DHL and Fedex courier express or even via the USPS if you prefer

They also offer reduced shipping rates with the major courier companies (or US POSTAL SERVICES... OBVIOUSLY CHEAPER BUT LONGER TO ARRIVE) and items arrive in RSA within 2-4 days. Period

They also offer the best customer sales and support I have ever received from a US company.

Check it out and lemme know what you think.

Old School or Bust!
Mustang Sally
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Porsche 356 replica

Post by Mustang Sally »

Hi Muds

I use MyUS often for my Mustang parts and they certainly do work a treat.
I agree, sometimes the VAT and import duty gets charged and sometimes not - occasionally on the smaller orders it sneaks through if you're lucky. I have, however, once had the Shipper send me a bill for the costs about two months later.

I am all for joining in on orders, thanks FFF. Will shout loudly when I need something for HER. :lol:
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Yup, we may in future look into my US, the whole thing is this time around, the shipping from 2 places was cheaper to us than what myUS would of been by at least 1/2.
Manny
Donor
Donor

Post by Manny »

I recently joined MyUS.com it is a cheaper option when its comes to shipping. I like the option of grouping multiple orders into one shipping consignment.
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

Yep and they will even hold your items for up to 30 days, if for example all your parts had not reached them at the same time.

Muds

Old School or Bust!
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

To the guys who brought stuff in. WHat duties and taxes were charged.

Our shine ups arrived this morning.......$220 order and SAPO has seen it fit to charge R1444.44 duties, taxes and customs on this.

That's almost 50%, can I contest this? I've bought R4000 worth of stuff from Klasse and paid R450. Where the heck do they suck this amount of of?

Roger popped an order for over double that from Sierra and if they pull this, we're so screwed.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Wow, that is a bit rich.... usually its is 20% imports and 14% VAT making it 34% total.
Maybe you got nailed on other items which are not car parts and thus have a higher import tax?
If you check the invoice, it isnt SAPO adding the cost, it is SARS. Well, mine usually are that way, but I'll admit, I dont really examine them too closely.
As for appealing... I wouldnt know where to start.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

a bit rich is an understatement.

There are only two items on the order........2 x lights. I called SARS and they said that I can appeal, but the order gets sent away for scrutiny and then there is no guarantee that I'll be successful with my claim. Can take up to 90 days to finalise.

I've done the sums and even with putting one of zuma's kids through uni we got them in for R1200 cheaper than Carrera Motors sells them for.
Manny
Donor
Donor

Post by Manny »

Hi Gary,

Yes! you can contest this, that is really a rip off I had a two situations last year, one similar to your situation the other where on order was shipped with two parcels with one invoice, they charged me import duties and taxes twice on the same invoice.
My suggestion go to the nearest SARS office and let them review it, be prepared to wait for your refund.
Take photos ,Purchase Order, Proof of payment, invoices, shipping invoice and delivery notes and etc. it helps!

Regards

Manny
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Cheers manny

I just called SAPO and they said that I can pay for them and take them now and then just send a request through to SARS. He said that the duties amount does not sound right. He said it should be around R350-R500 at most.