Road trip in a 718 RSK Replica. Good or bad idea.

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
ViGouR
Drip
What model do you have?: 718 RSK Replica

Road trip in a 718 RSK Replica. Good or bad idea.

Post by ViGouR »

So I was planning a route 66 bucket list road trip, and the dream got a bit delayed for now when we got all the details to finalise the budget. So someone suggested the Garden route here in SA, and after seeing a few pics and doing a bit of research, we're sold on the idea. The only issue now was, which car? So my friend saw a 718 replica at Piston Ring, and suggested why don't we buy one and use that. Now since we don't know much about the car really, we thought why not ask here. Would you guys recommend it, why and why not?

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Re: Road trip in a 718 RSK Replica. Good or bad idea.

Post by Pine »

That could be an epic experience, especially if you include Route 62 in it. Lack of storage space for your luggage might be the biggest setback..
64 Notchback
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 69 Baja bug, Sand R
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

I think it would be awesome, provided it does not rain and as pine said storage space.
Although it would depend on which version you got as my RSK has abit of "storage space" behind the seats, not much though but I think you may be able to fit 2 or 3 kit bags.

There is also the other option of getting one of those new small fiber glass trailers.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

just make sure whatever car you do it in that you are confident in it not giving you troubles.
An open top will call for a LOT of sunscreen or the need to do it between seasons and hope for no rain. Not sure if you are from SA or not, but our Summer sun is pretty violent.
ViGouR
Drip
What model do you have?: 718 RSK Replica

Post by ViGouR »

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. We'll definitely include route 62, heard good things about it. Rain is a bit of concern since the Cape can get rain all round the year, but we have time to plan and see which would be best. Warm sunny weather is not a problem since we're avid hikers.