Rebuilding a 718 RSK

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
shaunnadan
Drip
What model do you have?: 68

Re: Rebuilding a 718 RSK

Post by shaunnadan »

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Nice car, love the paint job, brings out the lines of the car nicely.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Good job, looks damn nice!
Hope it goes like stink too
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 8

Completed all of the wiring !!! I used a basic lotus 7 wiring diagram and finished up wiring all of the basics.

I plan to redo the dash with some quality gauges and switches but that would need minimal interference on the current wiring. I've installed block connectors in parallel for the future dash lights so it would just need to plug in .

Look the car for a spin in the neighborhood to get a feel of the drive and found I have some serious engine work to deal with.

There is a problem on 1st gear when you accelerate. Taking off and the car just stalls. You need to keep the revs up when you get to a robot and ride the clutch until the car starts moving. Definitely a flat spot. Carb will need to be stripped and cleaned but considering a replacement also.

Plan for the week is to identify the engine, get a service done and then see from there.
Manny
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by Manny »

That is one very nice 718 RSK, very cool colour's, have you got pictures of the cockpit and rear?
Harry Jones
Oil Pump

Post by Harry Jones »

Hi there Shaun ...first of all welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car !! car looks good and clearly you have put in some serious work into this car in a very short time. Just one thing ... and please don't take this the wrong way ...that drivers seat ...it doesn't suit the car and it really spoils the entire look of the car
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Harry Jones wrote:Hi there Shaun ...first of all welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car !! car looks good and clearly you have put in some serious work into this car in a very short time. Just one thing ... and please don't take this the wrong way ...that drivers seat ...it doesn't suit the car and it really spoils the entire look of the car
thats the seat i got the chassis with and when i started to rebuild i yanked out the seat on the 1st day. im currently looking at getting custom seats made for it. so far it will be similar to the lotus 7 seats as off the shelf seats are not comfortable to drive with.

im doing some DIY seat templates this week (chipboard, wifes cushions and pillows, wrapped in a curtain) to get the right height and will then get the template to an upholsterer to get it done.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Manny wrote:That is one very nice 718 RSK, very cool colour's, have you got pictures of the cockpit and rear?
will take some pics tonight an upload them.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Tony Z wrote:Good job, looks damn nice!
Hope it goes like stink too
this car doesnt go !!!! has some serious power issues which i need to get resolved.

i have a flat spot on the carb, and in general its a slow lady. hoping a full service and cleanup on the carb will get things smoother and then i can start to get the performance up.
64 Notchback
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 69 Baja bug, Sand R
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

Yes i would also like to see the set up for the rear, as I am pivoting the rear clamshell the same way.
Manny
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by Manny »

shaunnadan wrote:
Harry Jones wrote:Hi there Shaun ...first of all welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car !! car looks good and clearly you have put in some serious work into this car in a very short time. Just one thing ... and please don't take this the wrong way ...that drivers seat ...it doesn't suit the car and it really spoils the entire look of the car
thats the seat i got the chassis with and when i started to rebuild i yanked out the seat on the 1st day. im currently looking at getting custom seats made for it. so far it will be similar to the lotus 7 seats as off the shelf seats are not comfortable to drive with.

im doing some DIY seat templates this week (chipboard, wifes cushions and pillows, wrapped in a curtain) to get the right height and will then get the template to an upholsterer to get it done.
You can get a set of nice speedster/spyder seats from Anton at http://www.exclusiveconversion.co.za/
Front seat small.jpg
porsche164.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

for you flat spot - check for vacuum leaks first
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

64 Notchback
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 69 Baja bug, Sand R
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

Hi Shaun you have a good looking car there, thanks for the pics of the raer end, however can you please post pics of the pivoting mechanism of the clam shell.
As I mentioned before I have also decided to have access to the motor the same way as you have and would like to se what setup you have.
Also let me know whether the clam shell "sways" when you are driving.

Thanks
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

The hinge that holds the rear panel to the frame

The view from the cockpit is flush and concealed with carpet

There is a frame at 45degrees from the floor pan to the back of the shell. I use this for routing cable along and to support the back of the shell

On the frame I have a polished stud that has a hole drilled through that slots through the shell. I then align the shell and push some clips through to lock it in place. Similar to how bonnet pins work

The frame also has a small hydro piston that holds the shell up when it's unlatched . Makes things a lot easier for working

The shell is secured by the pins and also latches on my the sides of the body. It's a flush fit and very tight. I've floored it over speed bumps, spun it around corners in the neighborhood and pushed it on the highway without any swaying.