Rebuilding a 718 RSK

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
shaunnadan
Drip
What model do you have?: 68

Rebuilding a 718 RSK

Post by shaunnadan »

hi Everyone

im busy working on a project to get a Porsche 718 RSK replica to its full glory. the car is running but very poorly and i was hopeful that some of the wizards on this forum could offer me some guidance. please be gently... i come from a ford background having just finished a Lotus 7 project and this is my 1st air cooled vehicle.

Beetle : 1968

Body work >

the fibreglass shell seems to be a universal-products body. my initial observation is that its fitted properly. problem i have is with the doors and the front bonnet (i dont know how the hinge is assembled so not sure which way it opens) the doors dont have handles on the outside and i was wondering what sort of latch i could fit from the inside. currently there is a sliding kitchen door style deadbolt holding it in place.

front tow hitch : is there any specific mounting points that you guys would recommend i weld a loop onto for the tow hitch. my current plan is to get a flat bar across the chassis in the front (not sure where yet) and then have a L shaped bracket that can be bolted on when ever i need to tow the vehicle. the height of the vehicle and fibreglass shell makes it impossible for me to just tie the rope to the chassis from underneath without it breaking the fibreglass.

engine >

im not sure which engine this is exactly . all i have is the paperwork which says its a 1968 beetle. i plan on doing a full service on the vehicle and would like to know what parts (with part numbers) i need for a full service. Oil, Oil filter, Air filter, Plugs, Points, etc

Electricals >

all of the lights need to be rewired and replaced. the current rats nest of wiring under the dash is a problem. would you guys recommend i get a new wiring harness or create my own. i plan on using after market gauges and switches on the dash.

Generator .... so last night as i was driving the car lost power and died on the highway. a quick test found it to be the battery and i quickly sent for another battery from home. i am considering replacing the generator with an alternator. it could also just be part of the wiring thats a problem.

Carb >

there is a flat spot on 1st gear just after take off. it seems to be a problem with the change over from the idle circuit. i also find that it doesnt idle smoothly. will strip the carb and get it cleaned out. any recommendations on where to find carb kits or even a bigger better carb i should consider.

gearbox >

there is a grinding only when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. could this be resolved by just replacing the oil and doing a gearbox service or could it be something more to worry about.

interior >

i would like to know what seats would fit best in the rsk or if i should consider getting a custom seat made up. currently there is an evo bucket seat and its horrible. i cant change gears comfortably and i feel like im about to fall out.

thanks in advance for all of the help :)

eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Re: Rebuilding a 718 RSK

Post by eben »

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck and....
and before someone else says it... :mrgreen:
64 Notchback
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 69 Baja bug, Sand R
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

Hi Shaun ?
Welcome to the forum There are a couple of members here that have rsk's
I myself am busy building one from scratch almost. See my thread "Argento Volpe" in the projects thread.
Were are you situated
64 Notchback
Crankshaft
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

???????????
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

64 Notchback wrote:Hi Shaun ?
Welcome to the forum There are a couple of members here that have rsk's
I myself am busy building one from scratch almost. See my thread "Argento Volpe" in the projects thread.
Were are you situated
In the south of jhb
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 1

Starting this build log from the time I collected the vehicle and got it home.

I was told it was 100% perfect and the weather wasn't too great on the day I collected, this coupled with the fact it was already 7pm and I had to drive the car 65km home I didn't spend too much time debating.

At the garage I filled up fuel and then realized I didn't have a proper seat belt, that there were no brake lights and I only had a left rear indicator working.

So I chanced it on the highway with my dad following me.

After about 30km just past Alberton I had to pull over, the rain was a bit harsh and visibility was poor. I pulled over at a garage on Xavier and had a cup of coffee as I waited for the rain to pass.

I then got back onto the highway and pushed on. Shortly after I started to loose power. I pulled over to the side and realized the batt was dead. I sent for another battery and tools and waited for my old man to return.

After a grueling 2hour excursion I was finally home and that's when I registered on this forum.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 2

Yanked out the car seat and some unnecessary junk the previous owner had (the junk box has a collection of spyder stickers, chrome letters spelling Porsche that were mounted everywhere and also mounted skew, a computer speaker system hacked into a make shift radio)

I then found all of the bulbs had melted into their casings so I ripped those off and will be replacing the entire unit. The indicators were clear cases and the bulbs had orange paint on it. Those were also yanked out.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 3

Found the whole wiring harness bunched under the dash, lots of loose live wires that spark when moved around. Will be yanking that out once I finish up my new wiring diagram and can find all of the dash instruments.

An inspection on the engine resulted in me finding dirty oil, a horrible air filter, black and gunked up plugs and a small oil leak on the threaded pipes on the right of the sump.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 4

Got the new lights and a few new electrical components. I've finished the wiring diagram and will be starting with the harness soon.

I've decided to replace all of the wiring. The wires going to the front lights were routed alongside the steering column opening in the dash and are just a bit sloppy.

It's Friday and I'm feeling a bit lazy so il stop here and pick up working on the car again on Sunday.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

sounds like you are making good progress already
at this speed, the project will be finished before you know it ;-)
64 Notchback
Crankshaft
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

Good to hear you are a south boy. Now there are 3 RSK, s in the south :hangloose: Sorry to hear about your ordeal getting It home.
Post some pics when you can
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 5

Spent most of Sunday staring at the car (this is a very critical step towards rebuilding) and yanking out old wiring from odd places.

Got all of the old wiring out and started to run my new harness.

Took all the wires from the front lights (park, dim, bright, indicators) and the hooter into a loom that was sleeved and insulated through a new hole in the firewall on the passengers side. Each component has earth to the body so touching the positive ends of the loom activated each component.

I then ran out of wire so I decided to just make a note of all the things I need and packed up the garage.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 6

Created a loom for the rear lights (park, brake and indicators) and found a route for them to get to the passenger side under the dash.

Then the lightbulb in the garage died so I decided to call in a night.
shaunnadan
Drip

Post by shaunnadan »

Day 7

Got off from work early so I decided to get started on the car.

Finished a loom from the rear of the car for the 2 generator wires, 2 starter wires, ignition coil, and got that inside to the battery.

Got the ignition key installed with the starter and battery wired up and after bridging the coil started the car and took it for a spin around the block.

Got back and started to design a set of seats.

Joined the park wires front and rear and indicators front and rear to each other and did another positive wire test. Fixed up a small bug in the earth in the rear with new wires for each side bolted into the frame

Discovered my generator is faulty !!!

The Df and D+ posts are shorting somewhere and both of them are shorting to the casing. Attempted to remove the generator but it doesn't want to budge.

Packed up and put the battery on a trickle charge for the night so I can continue without the generator issue .
64 Notchback
Crankshaft
South Africa

Post by 64 Notchback »

Nice going
Only one problem

NO PEECHAS