Dawie Gouws 550 - any more information?

Technical Porsche and replica posts here.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Dawie Gouws 550 - any more information?

Post by Pine »

Does anyone have any more information on the history of this car, and what happened to it?

In 1960 and 1961 Dawie Gouws and a Rhodesian (now Zimbabwe) ace, John Love drove this car to victory in the South African 9 hour Endurance race, which was South Africa's premier motorsport event for many years. (excluding the Grand Prix, when this was run) The 9 hour was run from the late 1950's to the late 1980's. Gous, who was evidently a doctor, also campaigned this car in a number of the local championships events successfully.

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Re: Dawie Gouws 550 - any more information?

Post by Pine »

Found this on line:

Dr. Dawie Gouws 1927 - 2011
14 Jul 2011

Famous Porsche racer Dawie Gouws passed away last Sunday. Mario Lupini pays tribute to a South African racing legend
The sad passing of Dr Dawie Gouws sounds another knell for the generation of drivers who competed in the golden period of South African motor racing between the late 1950s and mid ’70s. Mild mannered and a gentleman to the core, Dawie was, however, an iron-willed driver on the racetrack.

After witnessing his first race at the old Grand Central Circuit in 1958, he decided that motor racing had to become part of his life. He and a dear friend, orthopaedic surgeon Tielman Roos, purchased a Porsche 356 Speedster to race. Tragically Roos died two weeks before their first race, but Dawie continued to compete in the car from then on.

Success soon followed, with Dawie finishing 2nd in class in the second 9-Hour race at the Grand Central Circuit, co-driving with the late and hard-charging future South African champion John Love. I remember it well because it was my second big race and I also finished 2nd in my class.

He soon moved on to more powerful machinery and won the ’60 and ’61 9-Hour races in the ex-Frazer-Jones Porsche RS together with Love and Neville Austin respectively, as well as taking two 6-Hour victories at Pietermaritzburg’s Roy Hesketh Circuit.

The Porsche RS was followed by Hermann Muller’s 1963 European Hillclimb Championship-winning Porsche RS61, which he managed to import into South Africa as spares, obviating a large import surcharge. The car proved hugely successful, with Dawie garnering the ’63 South African Sports Car Championship.

Selling his RS61, Dawie continued his racing career in the rapid Elva sports racing car, purchased without an engine and gearbox, into which he then fitted his spare RS61 engine. He maintained it was the fastest car he’d ever driven.

Dawie was blessed with a charming sense of humour. During an interview in 2007 I asked, “How about some of your more memorable moments?”.

He offered several, and one in particular stuck in my mind.

With his usual smile he asked, “Do you remember Sarel van der Merwe senior’s ungainly Mitter-DKW?”

I nodded approvingly.

“Well, Tony Kotze, who had spent some agonising moments trying to lap him in his Lotus, came storming up to a group of us, including Sarel senior and Sarel junior. Pointing at the former he yelled, ‘You bloody stupid so-and-so, I’ll donder your kop off. And you, you stupid asshole,’ he continued, pointing at me, ‘you sprayed oil all over the track.’”

Leaning forward Dawie chuckled wryly, “You know what we did? We surrounded him threateningly, to which he quickly answered, ‘Wait, wait boys. Let’s have a couple of beers instead’. And all was forgiven!”

On departing that day the octogenarian ex-champion said, “You know what? We were gods back then, racing on those dangerous and narrow tracks without driver safety considerations and no run-offs.”

Yes Dawie, in a way, you were a god of the racetracks.

- Mario Lupini
John Alves
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 58Ghia 68bug68buggy
South Africa

Post by John Alves »

that is one sweet car
No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

1958 1600 TP Karmann Ghia
1968 1600 TP Beamish buggy
1968 1500 SP Beetle
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Pine. I put Dawie's 550 in the same class as James Dean when it comes to the history of the two cars. I have collected quite a bit of information on this car. I have visited almost every person involved with this car and need to still write a story for my website , but I will be glad to share this unbelievable South African racing history.
The car is buried somewhere in JHB under a building. I don't know which one for sure, but anyway. I own most of what's left of this unbelievable car. The Owners/workshop Manual for the Carrera motor that belonged to #140 , the 16" aluminium rims that came of the car in 1960 to make way for the new 15 " Dunlop racing tire and then the most important piece is the winning trophy for the first 9-hour they won in 1960.
I am limited on time and have two events this weekend , but I will post more soon.

Wernher
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Thanks, Wehrner! Please share some pics of the parts you have? Are those the 16' wheels in the pic I posted?
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor

Post by vw59beetle »

From what I can see those are the same rims yes.

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Scanned this pic of Dawie Gouws at Kyalami in 1962 from an old magazine

Drusky
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '71 Deluxe Kombi

Post by Drusky »

vw59beetle wrote: The car is buried somewhere in JHB under a building.
Wernher
How strange. Any idea why it was buried under a building or is this simply a ephemism for, "it was scrapped and became rebar."

Thanks for the fascinating info.
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor

Post by vw59beetle »

Pine. Yes I know I owe you a story :D Please bare with me.
Drusky. Paul Richards was only 21 when he crashed in his first race on the first lap, in his 550A. His step dad did not know that he was racing and was so upset that he buried the car. Paul had a brother, Mervin. The story goes that Laddie Chester( step dad) buried the car to prevent Mervin from racing.
The building is anyone's guess. I have some clues, but I also believe that no one really knows.

A little bird told me this weekend that SA is getting a 550 A. I can not wait to see it.

Wernher
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor

Post by vw59beetle »

Oh BTW Pine. If you come visit me one day in George, I'll show you a ton of pictures of this car.