shock absorbers

Don't want to register but want to ask a question or post something aircooled for sale? Post here.
vincent

shock absorbers

Post by vincent »

Hi All
What is the best shock absorbers that i can use on a bay window home built camper
all help will be appreciated
Thank you

Derek
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1971, 1972, 1978
Facebook: Derek Antonio Serra

Re: shock absorbers

Post by Derek »

Best to stick with the standard shocks on the kombi...
'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
vincent

Post by vincent »

Hi. I did mention that it is a camper that I'm building and the following heavy items will be mounted permanently inside and on top of the camper. 2 x 150 watt solar panels on the roof +- 25kg, 2 x deep cycle batteries + 1 deep cycle as a starting battery and backup Total weight 90 kg.60 liter deep freeze full, groceries and clothing + bedding, 14 kg gas bottle full that weights 22 kg + fishing equipment,Aluminum table,chairs,spare wheel,Hi lift jack,spade, weca carrier at the back and a 9000 pound winch at the front,
The cupboards and kitchen and drawer system including the bush toilet and bed is in the building process out of aluminum. The 60 liter water tank is in it's place fixed onto the suspension in the center of the bus and the shower pipes is laid from the tank to a 12 volt water pump to the shower head by the passenger door.
So an additional 400 kilo's will be put on those Shocks. I need to upgrade the suspension to handle the additional weight.
On Google i have seen what is called BAJA Bus suspension (pronounced BAHA) in the states and there they go a couple of steps further and add Springs and air suspension as well. I'm building a complete self sufficient camper for long periods off the grid.
PS. Forgot to mention that it will have a reverse osmosis system built in and a small genie as back-up
Is there any body who can give me some info on how to make my suspension stronger PLEASE
Thank you
Once I'm back on this forum(Eben will Remove my previous details-HOPE IT IS SOON-)So that i can re-register i will put some picks on so that all can see what i mean by self sufficient
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Sounds like you have plenty plans.
Honestly, I dont think you will have any problems with stock shocks. Remember, these vans were the original 1 tonners.
So, with 2 people in the van you should be able to carry an additional +/-850kg

Do yourself a favour and make sure that you get the correct tyres - commercial 8ply or thicker. 185R14 or 195R14
vincent

Post by vincent »

Hi Tony.
I have replaced the standard 195/70/14 with 205/70/15 wrangler all terrain tires on 112 pcd 15 inch 7J Mercedes rims.Works like a charm.
I'm just scared of doing too much gravel roads that it won't handle the weight
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

something else to remember is that the shock absorbers do exactly that, absorb shock.
The weight of the vehicle is carried on the suspension. Unless you have coil overs (the coils carry the weight), the shock effectively sees no load at rest.

I know, some shocks do push the tyres into the ground (or lift the vehicle), but my point is still valid