Weak headlights

Don't want to register but want to ask a question or post something aircooled for sale? Post here.
Kombikoors

Weak headlights

Post by Kombikoors »

Hi all
I just don't understand what this problem is anymore and i have been battling with it for more than a year already. I wasn't very happy with my kombi's lights and the i went the golf route. I have replaced the standard 72 baywindow headlights with vw golf crystal 55 watt headlights with 1 x 40 amp relay to run the both dim's on the headlights and 1 x 40 amp relay to run the brights on both headlights. I have replaced all the wiring from the lights to the relays and then to the light switches but the light are still as weak as the original lights.
Please help. What am i doing wrong
Thank you

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: Weak headlights

Post by sean »

Hi Kombikoors.

I would advise you to first start removing these golf crystal headlights and relays you speak of, most probably all made in China. Revert back to original and find the source of the problem.

1 - Dim globes are often caused by bad earths and weak connections. The thickness of the original wire is more than substantial and no additional relays are needed. Check the condition of the original reflector. If there is discoloration and rust, you must have these re-chromed.

2. Are your headlights aimed correctly? This is very critical to have a clear view, just slightly adjusted out, up or down and it will limit your vision substantially.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Have a look at the head light 3 pin plug, this has been wired or re-wired incorrect, you are getting both filaments burning at the same time.

Test the lamp with a battery, 1st two points, note which filament lights up, if both, move one wire.note which two pins you have, then move your two wires to different pins and find the other filament, now you will know which pin is common on both filaments.

This common pin is your earth, make sure your plug has this pin as earth by tracing wire and ensuring the point that it is fixed to in clean, remove sandpaper, both sides of the lug, fit a new washer, and tighten, cover connection with grease or spray paint.

Now the other two pins will be your dim and bright, thats easy to find which is witch.

I find that the OEM Golf semi sealed beam gives better light then a re-chromed reflector, only my opinion.

Good luck

Herman
Last edited by retrovan on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

If you happen to have those down-hanging aftermarket "eyebrows", remember that they block half of the dim beam and a quarter of the bright beam.

I did test those "crystal light" replacements and they were inferior to standard Hella ones. Especially the cutoff in dim mode... it was shining up into oncoming traffic's eyes in the shape of lines/dots in certain positions.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Kombikoors

Post by Kombikoors »

Thanks for all the positive info. Will let you know what the outcome is
Happy travels :hangloose: