'63 looker... :)

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

'63 looker... :)

Post by davetapson »

Hi guys

I’ve got me the makings of a project here - yeehaaa!

1 x ’66 1300, 6v, pretty vrot due to rust, but in reasonable mechanical order (I hope!)
1 x ’63 body and pan, in beautiful, mostly rust free condition. Paint a bit ropey, but that can be fixed :D

Have current paperwork for both. The plan is to do up the ’63 using the ’66 for all that is missing on the ’63.

Having read oom Impi’s post on successful projects, here’s my plan:

Aim:
Looks: I’d like to have a very lekker, mostly original looking body – looker66’s bug is probably pretty close to what I’d like to achieve (considering I don’t have an uncle in the bodywork business)

Oomph: I want to have a bit of poke. Car must be nice to drive in Jhb traffic, so torque is a requirement, plus a decent cruising speed. 140 km/h comfortably would be nice. I want to be able to scoot up the hill on N12 past the Kraft Road turn-off in the right hand lane (i.e. not taking my chances stuck in the diesel fumes between trucks and over-laden taxi’s with Mozambique number plates).

Ok. So here’s my plan:

(Talk about tempting fate – geez – what do they say about the plans of mice and men..?)

1. Strip ’63.

2. Do chassis:

a. Pan:
i. Clean pan
ii. Fix any rust (e.g.around battery base).
iii. Replace any vrot looking chassis based components: gear shift bushings, quick change kit, master cylinder, clutchtube inside chassis, throttle pedal and mounts if necessary, clutch cable hook on pedal assembly. Tempted to replace brake lines too, as this would be the time to do it.
iv. Paint. (With what? Whats’ good for a chassis? 2K black, with some form of chassis/anti chip paint on the underside?)

b. Do up front beam:
i. Strip from ‘66, clean, paint.
ii. Adjusters – I’m not looking to lower the suspension – is there any good reason to go to the expense of adding adjusters? Now would be the time to do it.
iii. Replace brakes with discs (Hello Rui : :D ) which I assume come with bearings / brake lines etc? King/linkpins,steering damper, tie rod ends, shock absorbers, steering box, steering box coupler.
iv. Probably fit thicker anti-sway bar to match camber compensator at rear.

c. Rear supension:
i. Strip from ’66, clean, paint.
ii. Replace axle gaitors, shocks, brake hoses (keeping drums – will this cause a problem with having ‘normal’ hubs on the front and VW hubs on the back?), brake cylinders/hoses/shoes, hand brake cable, torsion bar donuts. Probably fit camber compensator.

d. Gearbox:
i. Figure out which of the two gearboxes is in best condition.
ii. Replace gearbox oil, seals, engine mountings, clutch cable, Bowden tube, clutch throw out shaft, shift coupler, starter bushing.

e. Wheels:
Man – I’m going to struggle with this one. So many options. Something street suitable that won’t break the bank and will look nice. Will need adapters for rear hubs.

3. Do body:
a. Strip
b. Do I need to clean back to bare metal (which I imagine is the ideal) or just where I need to fix rust spots etc?
c. Paint. Probably metallic grey (can a non-pro spray metallic? I’ve done red 2k before and had good results…)
d. Rebuild – new body rubbers/seals where necessary. ’63 has good cal-look rubbers. I’ll probably just keep those.
e. Mount on Pan

4. Sundries:
a. Electrical:
i. Check wiring, decide if need to replace loom. Either neaten up / replace wiring.
ii. Convert 6v components to 12v
iii. Replacing alternator / gen bearings and brushes (depending on what is chosen to replace 6v gen), starter bushes and brushes, solenoid, bendix drive, refurbish wiper pivots and motor.
b. Decide on seats / upholstery… have the option of using stock from the ’66 or rally style seats that may come with the ’63.
c. Decide on stock instruments or added rev counter etc.
d. Fit results of b & c.  Suspect it will include soundproofing, new carpets, reupholstered or rally front seats, reupholstered rear seat.

5. Engine:
a. Ideal: What I’d like is, I think - 90.5 cyls, 82mm crank. Twin carbs (40HPMX Empi?) Ported and polished heads (not sure what yet - CB roundports or as close to that as I can get to that from p’np heads here), Engle 110 cam. Full flow oil filter. Performance exhaust. I’d like to keep the heater boxes / get performance heater boxes because it gets fekkin cold on the ‘rand. Everything dynamically balanced.

b. Reality: It may make sense to rebuild the 1300 to a slightly higher performer while I build the nerve to pay for the engine above. Twin carbs? Whether to keep the single port heads and get a set of 1600 pistons / sleeves? Maybe try and do it with parts that can be taken across to the other engine – e.g. carbs that can be throttled down to work on this one but can be used on the other, exhaust, distr., coil, perf heater boxes etc. I suppose this depends on the condition of the case? If that is ok, then a rebuild is ok, but if it’s worn, then may as well just go straight to a.? Anyone got some good suggestions for me?

At the back of my mind, I figure that if I end up with two engines, I can then rebuild the other bug… doesn’t have to be perfect, as I’ll have my perfect one already :D

My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Beetle
South Africa

Re: '63 looker... :)

Post by 1972 »

sounds dam good .....front beam sounds just like what im doing with mine in terms of the disks they do come with brake hoses from the disks to the brake line hope that answers your qeustion ,spray the whole pan with black 2K or what even colour you want on both sides flip the pan round give it a sand down and hammerite the bottom or rubberise it they will both do the same thing.Now all we need is some pics of the car so we can see what you have to work with :mrgreen: good luck with your project it definatly sounds interesting and i will be following this one carefully :mrgreen:
John Jones wrote: Stock sucks!!!
"Toy 1" 1968 Vw Beetle
"Toy 2" The dead Bus

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

SOunds like you have every little bit planned out. Nice one, now just to stick to the plan.....
You have obviously put lots of thought into your ideas.
Engine wise, do a search thru the advice section, we have had a few engine threads. Maybe also start your own.
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

If you want to crooze Comfortably 140KM/h you will def have to visit the Bugger for a long ratio 4th gear tranny other wise the motor will def take some serious high RPM hammering and the 66 or 63 tranny will not be a good donor to start off with wrong ratios in them for top end croozing
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Bugger wrote:If you want to crooze Comfortably 140KM/h you will def have to visit the Bugger for a long ratio 4th gear tranny other wise the motor will def take some serious high RPM hammering and the 66 or 63 tranny will not be a good donor to start off with wrong ratios in them for top end croozing
What should I be looking at Bugger..?
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
VWCrazy
Flywheel
What model do you have?: 2001 Watercooled

Post by VWCrazy »

thread_is_worthless.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Easy dudes... :D

I'm still waiting to take delivery. '66 is on it's way as we speak, erm, as I :puterwork:

Meanwhile, this ok? :lol:

bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Thats better. We now belive you know how to operate a camera. Haha. The waiting iz murdur hey?
More than meets the eye!
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

's here... :D

Parked up

Now for the '63...

Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Beetle
South Africa

Post by 1972 »

looks good keep us posted this is gonna be one awesome project
John Jones wrote: Stock sucks!!!
"Toy 1" 1968 Vw Beetle
"Toy 2" The dead Bus

Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

Well done Dave. :hangloose:
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
1964type1
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1964 type 1

Post by 1964type1 »

Hi Dave

It makes my heart feel better knowing that you are serious about actually building the car. That 63 Pan and body you are getting from me will get to go on the open road once more. :hangloose:

Cheers
Brandt
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

1964type1 wrote:Hi Dave

It makes my heart feel better knowing that you are serious about actually building the car. That 63 Pan and body you are getting from me will get to go on the open road once more. :hangloose:

Cheers
Brandt
Hey Brandt!!

I can't wait to get that body - it's gonna make an awesome base for this project...

Cheers
Dave

Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

That Beetle doesn't look to bad at all.The roofrack is a score and it looks like most of the parts are there.The rust also seems not to be too deep.
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Chris wrote:That Beetle doesn't look to bad at all.The roofrack is a score and it looks like most of the parts are there.The rust also seems not to be too deep.
No mate, the back window has been out for a long while and the rain has got in. The rear sill and 'dog box' is rusted through. The floor pans at the rear are pretty ropey too.

If you compare it to some of the horrible sights you see on the UK forums, it's maybe not bad - but it's not the sort of job I would take on lightly. Having said that tho - once I have the '63 up and going, I might have a go at doing it up.