Amorak

Non ACVW models.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Amorak

Post by Pine »

Several weeks ago we told you the 2010 Volkswagen Amorak pickup would make its world debut at the 2010 Dakkar Rally. Now, ahead of its debut at the rally, Volkswagen released official information and photos of the truck.

Volkswagen once again breaks into the mid-size pickup truck segment with the Amorak. The truck was designed with fuel efficiency in mind, and as such, only offers two versions of its 2.0-liter four-cylinder diesel engine in the truck. The base engine produces 122 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque. The optional engine produces 163 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Both engines are coupled to six-speed manual transmissions and standard rear-wheel-drive with four-wheel-drive available as an option.

With all that torque on tap from the diesel engine, the Amorak is capable of towing 6100 pounds. One of the Amorak’s best features is the pickup bed is over four feet wide, allowing a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood to be loaded in the pickup bed, with the tailgate down of course. The Amorak can also haul a total payload capacity of over 2500 pounds.

Inside, owners won’t find any unnecessary gadgets as VW intends the truck to be used as a truck. Materials are standard high-quality VW affair with a neatly laid out center console and dash.

Initially the truck will launch only as a double cab in September next year, with a single cab to follow in 2011. So far, the truck has only been scheduled for release in South America and Europe. VW is currently unsure if it will bring the Amorak to the U.S.

karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Re: Amorak

Post by karmakoma »

Not bad looking for a truck at all. Is this the VWILUX ?

Only problem is that you still have to buy it from a VWSA dealership :twisted:
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

It looks very nice.

But I'm sure it will come in at R320 000 plus.It's not going to be cheap,but still nice.

That said,I prefer the T5 DC.Much more space and can load a hell of a lot more.
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Chris »

karmakoma wrote:Not bad looking for a truck at all. Is this the VWILUX ?

Only problem is that you still have to buy it from a VWSA dealership :twisted:
A truer word has yet to be spoken!
Damn,I'm good!
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
Watercool
Transmission
What model do you have?: VW Rabbit 2.5

Post by Watercool »

I will rock that in a heartbeat, but as normal the VW boys don't think we need a truck in the US, we as VW fans can buy American/Asian. Come on VW give it to the US too, pleeeeeeeeze!!!
Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Chris »

Henry,do you guys get the T5 Double cab in the US?

Damn,I'm good!
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Post by beetlepower »

saw disguised amarok and new polo being tested at Gerotek the other morning
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
Watercool
Transmission

Post by Watercool »

Chris, no we do not have any commercial vehicles from VW (not counting the SUV's) For some reason the big airheads in charge of VWoA does think we don't like the newer cars the produce, like the Scirocco, Polo (we are going to get this now) Sheran, etc. They even have killed the Eurovan, did not sell they say, but we could not keep them on the lot. I wish we did get the D/cab I would sell the Dodge in a heartbeat and get me one, I looked into getting me a T3 D/cab syncro from Canada (also not sold in the US) but after shipping and taxes was added to the asking price it did not make sence
Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Here's the official site

http://www.amarok.co.za/
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
TonyE
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1976

Post by TonyE »

As far i have heard from people at VW it will only be available late next year (2010) in a single cab with the d/c ariving later or even 2011.
Watercool
Transmission

Post by Watercool »

Guys if you see some brochures on this at the dealer, please please get me a couple.
beetlefanatic
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Late Bay, Syncro x 2

Post by beetlefanatic »

From the Iafrica Full Throttle website. Sounds like they are pretty impressed with it.

Volkswagen is in the throes of taking the bakkie world as we know it by the throat and shaking it by its collective neck. The Amarok is a deadly serious new competitor and if off-roading is big in your big bakkie driving retinue, be sure the market has a new king.

VW chose it's first real bakkie's home base of Argentina to launch the vehicle - it will be built here at Pacheco and exported around the world with South Africa as a principal market - and after a day in all conditions on the escarpment of the Patagonian Andes, we emerged impressed with the newcomer.

Suppose it was significant that our guide on the 4x4 track that started our day's activities was Amarok's head of development Dr. Wolfgang Schreiber who was delighted to show us the prowess of his baby and reveal some pretty surprising little features.

Amarok follows in Touareg's steps

"Let the car do the driving," Wolfgang says as we headed off down the angled first section of track while we discussed the car's advanced electronic chassis aids. This is where Amarok leads the way - it's taken the humble old bakkie rulebook, ripped it up as though it was superman and then started anew.

Amarok shares many of the features common to the forthcoming new Touareg - it shifts to 4x4 on the fly at any speed and boasts a one-touch off-road mode for starters. That reconfigures the chassis, ABS braking and other systems according the the set-up the car is selected in and makes Amarok oh so easy to drive no matter how tough the going gets.

We get to a steep concrete incline and the good doctor asks me to stop and put the car in neutral. "Take your foot off the brake," he commands and the car stands for two seconds before gently rolling back, braking itself in reverse.

Child's play

"Let it idle and release the clutch," Dr. Wolfgang instructs. Amarok launches gently on my clutch action and draws easily up the 100% gradient at idle as the horison disappears below the bonnet line and I rely on the flags to aim the car.

That's quite amazing, but then the 120kW 400Nm two-stage control sequentual biturbo DOHC 4-valve per cylinder 2-litre four is just so tractable it makes it pretty much child's play to drive. "Your son can do this," Schreiber adds. I concur.

We go through several other tests, in low range 4x4 and with the diff lock off and on - exploring Amarok's hill descent braking system and failing to get it to err. We test the bakkie through the regular articulation tests - on the flat and again at maximum incline and it idles through, no problem.

Later Dr Schreiber deletes the Off Road set up and makes me brake hard from 60km/h. The car slips, slides and struggles to a halt. We repeat the same with the dirt setting on and Amarok stops in half distance. With normal ABS it battles to stop, but withthe specially profiled dirt setting it is all of a sudden double-effective stopping in gravel

Driving back to lunch I'm now convinced by VW's handsome new bakkie's off-road domination - Amarok brings a new level of high tech to the bakkie world that will have its rivals reeling for the drawing boards. The game has just moved on.

After lunch we take a ride along several splendid Patagonian Andes lakes and in the dirt, Amarok feels poised, predictable and safe. It comes with ESP - another bakkie first and something that brings with it a huge sense of security. You can diminish ESP but you can't switch it off; and it allows for some quite spirited driving.

We take time to check out Amarok's full safety suite - ABS braking, that ESP; driver, passenger and side airbags and discuss one aspect we are confident will be Amarok's next big hit - it's Euro NCAP rating ought to be quite a lot better than the current market norm.

Well-sorted chassis

Our final stint back to the hotel was along a fine stretch of tarmac along a splendid fast-flowing river valley lined with tall brown-green mountains. Amarok handles brilliantly and offers a more than adequate performance envelope. I revelled in a well-sorted chassis even for a bakkie and felt at home in the finely equipped and handsome cabin.

But then we came up behind a lunatic driving a tourist filled bus at Argentine grand prix pace. We were travelling a bit quicker and I wanted to pass, but pulling from 120km/h on short stretches was too much for Amarok. We duly pulled past once the road straightened out. I was also quite surprised to have to fight to pass 160km/h in a straight line shortly after that.

Yes, I know this is a bakkie and that behavior should be out of it's envelope. But think of the Kempton Park Cowboy who stuffs his family, the DSTV the dogs and the kitchen sink in the Navara or Hilux and hits the road towing the 20-foot Wilk and the 21-foot speed boat in his private South African road train. He knows he can trust the guts of his big Jap 4 litre and won't be satisfied with 120kW and 400Nm even if it manages a claimed 7.4 litres per hundred.

A charge on the bakkie market

We managed 9.5l/100km on the readout pretty much flat out, so if you're a greenie, this is your bakkie. VW tells us about a 90kW 340Nm lower spec Amarok as well as a petrol and a basic workhorse solution in future, but we need to know more about a big, three-litre six with sequential turbocharging good for 200kW and 600Nm as is the norm in top modern diesel SUVs.

If VW does that, they will have the whole SA bakkie market more than just cornered. Right now, besides the extreme bakkie men who shape that market in any event, Amarok has it pretty much taped.

We anticipate where VW will take its Amarok flagship it needs to fight at the top end with vigour. But for now, the rest of the bakkie market better look sharp - Volkswagen's brilliant first bakkie hits SA in August in 120kW, 400nm 2-litre TDI trim and set to sell somewhere in the R360 000 bracket. Better you be ready for that.
Amarok1.jpg
Amarok2.jpg
Amarok3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only substitute for cubic inches are more cubic inches.
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

Good Review

Still a very nice looking bakkie. From the rear it looks even more like a hilux though!

Off-road tech sounds impressive....
Tom Bishop
Single Port
What model do you have?: A Yellow 181
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1321084423

Post by Tom Bishop »

You will buy the Double Cab at the Passager dept and the Single Cab at Commercial Dept.

Wonder what platform it shares?

Would not be surprised if there is some Toyota in it.
”Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want”
VWCrazy
Flywheel
What model do you have?: 2001 Watercooled

Post by VWCrazy »