to do or not to do?

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
evaneyk
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969

to do or not to do?

Post by evaneyk »

Hey guys. i'm new to the forum and joined because i need a different point of view from you :zhelp:

i have 1969 1500 beetle, but had a 1600 engine which we kind of set alight. now i would like to put in another engine, mainly because i had a bit of problems with the 1600 and we dont really have people that can work on the engines in my area - i think they are a dying race.

we were thinking of a 1200 / 1400 nissan engine, or maybe even an 1800 golf but i am not sure if i really want to do this to my car (with all the cutting and stuff). she was my first car, bought her myself for my 21st birthday and she's SO pretty. i dont want to scar her for life!

i read a few discussions about people having problems with the nissan conversion, any body else want to give me some advice please? i would really appreciate it!

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Re: to do or not to do?

Post by Pine »

DON'T DO IT :(
JohnHoffe
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Buggy,Fleetline,Ghia

Post by JohnHoffe »

Pine wrote:DON'T DO IT :(
There you go, , I'm glad this one is sorted. :hangloose:
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

(PLEASE) DON'T DO IT

:twisted: Manners, gentlemen, manners :twisted:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

MMMM Do or Do Not there is no try.....

Which meens turn away from the DarkSide there is only pain and hardship there...
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
evaneyk
Drip

Post by evaneyk »

thanks guys, but i am actually looking for a REASON :D why not to do it, or to do it for that matter?
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

She is a VW is all the reason you need... that and the below...

"she was my first car, bought her myself for my 21st birthday and she's SO pretty. i dont want to scar her for life! "

Muds

Old School or Bust!
evaneyk
Drip

Post by evaneyk »

which is fair, but what use will she be if i don't have anyone to fix and upkeep the 1600 engine? at least with a 1400 or something the service and upkeep will be easier - my hubby can do that. the only thing he likes about the original engine, is that he can sit on his ass and drink beer while working on it :) (hillbillyish as that may sound)
beetlefanatic
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Late Bay, Syncro x 2

Post by beetlefanatic »

First of all. Where do you stay? That will obviously determine who is closest to assist you.
There are many people on the forum that are very knowledgable about ACVWs. A few build decent engines, another does gearboxes, another does retorations and the list goes on.

There is never a better time than now to learn about the car you love so much. Get a workshop manual, ask questions, steal with your eyes. These cars are so easy to repair and maintain.

If you want a 1400 Nissan engine, buy a Nissan 1400 bakkie. Keep your car AC and look after it and it will look after you. I just did 4500km in my 1979 AC Bus from Gauteng to the Cape and back to Gauteng. Then to Swaziland and back twice. All during this past holiday, without any problems. BUT I keep the car fixed, if something breaks, fix it properly. My 2c. Use it, don't use it.
The only substitute for cubic inches are more cubic inches.
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

If your Hubby can work on the Nissan 1400 engine, he should be able to do the same on the Volla engine. But then again, you probably have already made up your mind to do what you feel you need to do engine wise... :x

If you do change the engine, it would no longer be a Beetle, but a Beetle's body with a Golf or Nissan engine in it.... :(

The answer is simple here:

1) Move to an area where there is a beetle mechanic :D
2) Keep the beetle, and change your hubby for one that can sit on his ass and swig a cold one, and still work on a beetle engine... chances of which your search would be quite easy.... as everyone on this site qualifies.... :lol:

Muds

KEEP THE BEETLE ENGINE

Old School or Bust!
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi I have done my share of modifications and conversions and must say very few actually lived up to expectations.
The few of us who actually still work on ac vw engines are nicely spread all over the country so there is bound to be someone who can help you with an engine done right. a 1500 or 1600 single port engine such as was original to your car is probably the best engine in terms of reliability ever produced by vw
Armand in Orkney
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
evaneyk
Drip

Post by evaneyk »

hey guys

i've decided to keep my baby - we are going to put in an original engine :drunks:

i live in potgietersrus (or mokopane as its now known) in the northern province. i know of someone in naboomspruit who sells recon engines but i am also open to suggenstions about that :)
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

I think the town you live in is called Mokopane :hangloose:
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi There is a guy called Eric mc Lean living there I lost his phone no but I am sure he is in the book He should be able to give you local advice.
I used to live in Naboomspruit when I was still young and Beautiful now Im just Beautiful.
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
EtienneB
Drip
What model do you have?: 1600 Beach Buggy

Post by EtienneB »

IMPI wrote:Hi There is a guy called Eric mc Lean living there I lost his phone no but I am sure he is in the book He should be able to give you local advice.
I used to live in Naboomspruit when I was still young and Beautiful now Im just Beautiful.
Armand
I think we need the truth here. It's rather like jonk en jukkerig, maar deesdae net jukkerig! :D