Need to change

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
krazed_69
Drip
What model do you have?: 1975

Re: Need to change

Post by krazed_69 »

vader wrote:2c...
You keep mentioning fuel ecconomy...
1st... What were you getting with the 1600 a/c should be around 10km/l, & have you checked what a 1800 w/c gives you? I would think the 1800 would be about the same if not heavier. The 1600 w/c get about 600km on a tank of 45l +- 13.3333 km/l so the 1800 should be around that if not a bit less.
2nd if you are really serious about fuel ecconomy then you should not be looking at petrol but rather diesel. Like a 1.9tdi or even the 1.4tdi.. 750-1000km on 65l thats between 11.5 and 16. + they will klap and 1800 petrol time and again....

So if you are SERIOUS about fuel economy go diesel anything else your just f*#@king around with pipe dreams and waisting your time and money.

But hay its your car......

Remember...

Do, or Do Not!!! There is no Try....
LOL! I was at one stage contemplating at trying to source one of those oulike 1.2tdi outjies of a BlueMotion but that's even more of a mission. As for fuel consumption on current A/C, I was getting between 5-7km/l, same with my previous 1600L '72... And that one was pretty much mint...

A W/C would be "easier" to drive on the open road (say for instance between here - Bloem - and Jo'Burg) than what a A/C would be...

It would most probably be lighter on fuel, and 13km/l is pretty acceptable (better would always be a bonus (^^,) )

Going Golf/Nissan carb is much less of a hassle, than having to try and sort out wiring and all the other stuff that goes along with it....

Or am I wrong?
RICKY-R69 wrote:I have done a 1400 nissan coversion on my son's car and a 1800 golf conversion on my own car. And guess what? He won't leave my car alone. Plenty of horses and less fuel consumption. I would say yes go for it. Not that hard to do yourself either.
Have you done it yourself? Mind doing mine then too? ;) LOL

RICKY-R69
Clutch
What model do you have?: 76 kombi,1970 beetle

Post by RICKY-R69 »

If you use an adaptorplate and flywheel from Gilo engineering it is pretty easy to DIY. Mokopane and Bloem is a little far apart.
Most men in their mid-life crisis buys Harleys. I build BEETLES!
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Well there you go....

One thing I cant understand, why would your motor be suffering between 100&120? Does it run out of rev's? Does it loose power? Define suffering? 100-120 is when I found them to run sweetest and going onto 135.
What would a conversion to w/c cost about?
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Well there you go, sorted.

You know what motor to fit, now all you have to do is get it up to ........Mokopane-Limpopo

:lol: :lol:
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Bugger wrote:HI I got a Dutsun either 1200 or 14oo motor with 2 x SU Carburettors and adapter plate with Radiator comming out of a Beach buggy I am building a strong beetle engine for
and the motor , adapter plate and radiator I want R5500 for and the motor was Pulling Quite strong and this will also be very light on fuel
Just a thought and it is cheap

Hi This motor has found a new owner today

Carb Golf motor with a Long ratio Transmission then you chasing fuel consumption on the long road
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

krazed_69
Drip

Post by krazed_69 »

vader wrote:Well there you go....

One thing I cant understand, why would your motor be suffering between 100&120? Does it run out of rev's? Does it loose power? Define suffering? 100-120 is when I found them to run sweetest and going onto 135.
By suffering, I meant the motor feels like it's out of steam, noise is excessive, and there's pretty much no acceleration above 110 :-/ I know there's nothing wrong with my gearbox/clutch and so on - had that checked out :-/ As for total cost of converting to W/C - still working that one out :P
Bugger wrote:
Carb Golf motor with a Long ratio Transmission then you chasing fuel consumption on the long road
Long ratio box I understand - how to go about getting a combined best setup? Good in town as well as open road, as if I think correctly long ratio might make it a bit of a biatch in town? Or am I wrong?
retrovan wrote:Well there you go, sorted.

You know what motor to fit, now all you have to do is get it up to ........Mokopane-Limpopo

Don't joke! My dad lives in Polokwane and is coming down this weekend :P Might just send the car up with him :D
RICKY-R69
Clutch

Post by RICKY-R69 »

I am running a 1300 gbox with 205/80/14 tyres at the back. Pretty nifty in town and revs at about 3500 rpm at 140 km/h. Would love to have a long ratio gearbox though. Polokwane hey? Let your dad get in touch with Ralph Boemer. He does one hell of a neat conversion.
krazed_69
Drip

Post by krazed_69 »

RICKY-R69 wrote:I am running a 1300 gbox with 205/80/14 tyres at the back. Pretty nifty in town and revs at about 3500 rpm at 140 km/h. Would love to have a long ratio gearbox though. Polokwane hey? Let your dad get in touch with Ralph Boemer. He does one hell of a neat conversion.
1300 box from 1300 Beetle? Do you maybe have contact details for Ralph?
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser

Post by Bugger »

krazed_69 wrote:
vader wrote:Well there you go....

By suffering, I meant the motor feels like it's out of steam, noise is excessive, and there's pretty much no acceleration above 110 :-/ I know there's nothing wrong with my gearbox/clutch and so on - had that checked out :-/ As for total cost of converting to W/C - still working that one out :P
Bugger wrote:
Long ratio box I understand - how to go about getting a combined best setup? Good in town as well as open road, as if I think correctly long ratio might make it a bit of a biatch in town? Or am I wrong?

Only 4th gear ratio gets changed to a longer as std ratio so you still got nice accelaration 1st 2nd 3de
retrovan wrote:Well there you go, sorted.

Don't joke! My dad lives in Polokwane and is coming down this weekend :P Might just send the car up with him :D
Pierre
082 600 8663

RICKY-R69
Clutch

Post by RICKY-R69 »

krazed_69 wrote:
RICKY-R69 wrote:I am running a 1300 gbox with 205/80/14 tyres at the back. Pretty nifty in town and revs at about 3500 rpm at 140 km/h. Would love to have a long ratio gearbox though. Polokwane hey? Let your dad get in touch with Ralph Boemer. He does one hell of a neat conversion.
1300 box from 1300 Beetle? Do you maybe have contact details for Ralph?
Yes it is a 1300 beetle gearbox. Let your dad ask the guys at Goldwagen in Polokwane for Ralph's details. They all know him very well.
MarshallGTi
Camshaft
What model do you have?: GTi 16v

Post by MarshallGTi »

what 4th gear would u use to get a nice cruising ratio?
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser

Post by Bugger »

MarshallGTi wrote:what 4th gear would u use to get a nice cruising ratio?
Depending on whagt R&P you got and Hp you got
Pierre
082 600 8663

MarshallGTi
Camshaft
What model do you have?: GTi 16v

Post by MarshallGTi »

Let's call it the most common then, a boggo standard mid 70s 1600
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;