Birth certificates

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Kaptein
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Baywindows & Beetles

Birth certificates

Post by Kaptein »

Has anyone ordered birth certificates from The VW Museum in Germany for a South African assembled VW ?

Bushpig
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1956, 1957 and 70's

Re: Birth certificates

Post by Bushpig »

I got one a while back (2006), hoping to get all the colour details etc. but the certificate comes back as a CKD version which means it was shipped to SA for assembly so they have no record of what specs it had (M codes) and SA did not keep the details.
It is nice to have and it stands proudly in a frame with a copy of the ignition key for what it's worth. The effort in getting one for me was worth it,
8)
Kaptein
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Baywindows & Beetles

Post by Kaptein »

Cool thanks for the info! That's the only reason I wanted a birth cert,for the color and m codes and didint want to oder one just to get a nothing basicly.

Cause acording to the samba.com and wolfsburg west you didn't get a '63 sedan beetle in Yukon yelow (only convertibles)
And my cars original color is yukon yellow-just wanted to clearup confusion
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

What Bushpig said.
Veedub13
Drip
What model do you have?: Kombi

Post by Veedub13 »

I have a kombi from SA and would like to know more about it. As a ckd, does the Wolfsburg certificate contain the date of manufacture? Thanks!
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Years ago, before they started charging $30 or whatever for them, I got a birth certificate for my 1957 kombi. As said above, the only useful info it contained was the manufacture and shipping dates and that it was sent CKD to South Africa.

Feedback on thesamba.com suggests that the people who pull the records for birth certificates are less than thorough and a lot of them have incorrect info on them. Some people have requested birth certificates twice for the same car and got different info.

I find that online resources like thesamba.com can give you far more info about your car than the factory birth certificate. Unfortunately SA CKD cars did not have M-plates, so it's not possible to know the options.

Also, SA CKD cars were painted locally in local colours. Some of these were the same or similar to German colours, but this can't be assumed, as SA VWs also had a unique colour palette.

My view is the factory birth certificate is not worh the cost.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

The Certificate is 65 Euro now, Data sheet 40 Euro and 90 Euro for the Combined package.
The Data Sheet was only offered in later years but is basically the the std specs, so not much info there. (I will post a pic of one later).

I only realised now that they also made a big mistake on one of my certificates. I saw the "Country of destination" is: VW dealer Gloeckler,
Frankfort Germany. But it is a RHD from SA so I checked the model number. They got is as a 11A on the certificate and data sheet, that is a
Standard sedan LHD. My car being a RHD is a 11 D that is a Deluxe Export sedan RHD. So they got it totally wrong.

Some of my certificates of the CKD cars from SA have got the M-codes on that you might find useful.
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

Here is pic of the wrong model number. One can see the 11 D on the Vin plate:

Here is the info on the Data Sheet: