Running on Unleaded

Ask and give advice here
natbro
Oil Cooler

Running on Unleaded

Post by natbro »

Hi Guys,

What is needed to convert a type 1 engine to run on unleaded? Is it quite costly? Is it even possible? :?

vuyo
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: beetle
Facebook: vuyo dube

Post by vuyo »

pm calooker i think he has unleaded heads
60s look 74 beetle
Matliam
Drip
What model do you have?: 1975 Beetle
South Africa

Post by Matliam »

With the older technology used in the aircooled engine it should be able to run on unleaded without problems.
This is an extra from the same question ask on the Association of British Volkswagens Club:
"The bottom line is that you could run on un-leaded without undue concern.

When your VW was new it was advised that

"The Volkswagen will run satisfactorily on all normal commercial fuels which fulfil the octane requirements of the engine(91 octane)."

When unleaded first became available VW recommended that for every four tankfulls of petrol, one should be leaded to maintain the lubrication.

I am not aware of anyone having any issues with running on unleaded and have done so since leaded disappeared from general circulation.

There is an excellent page put out by VW Beetle tuner John Maher.
http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/technotes_fuel.htm"

This was asked about a '64 Beetle.

It's only the heads that are a concern with unleaded - valve guides and seats; to the best of my knowledge.
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

I have run a couple of tank fulls of 95 unleaded in my Spyder, no problem yet, I don't drive it much probably only done about 500 km's we will see in the long run, I also didn't notice any diff in perfomance going from 93 LRP to 95 unleaded.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I suspect that our more extreme driving conditions would more likely show up unleaded-induced problems.

Having said that, however, I have had no problems with my daily driver Fleetline panel (1600TP) using LRP. I have been keeping an eye out for signs of valve seat recession, but no issues so far. I drive this bus every day, and have driven it on LRP on several long road trips, including a 5,000km round trip from Jhb to Cape Town.

I have heard that later AVCVW engines had hardened valve seats, and that early engines may have problems, but I have no experience of this.

I think LRP works well for ACVWs. We may have a problem when that is phased out and only true unleaded is available.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford