Which Buggy

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
JustMe
Drip
What model do you have?: Non Yet

Which Buggy

Post by JustMe »

Good Evening All.

This is my First post on this forum, and I'm here get some info from you.

I'm looking in buying a Buggy Project. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me on.

1. I'm thinking of buying a Buggy in current running condition, but one that is maybe a little rough around the edges where I can dress it up according to my liking. It will typically be a project with no specific time frame, and therefor it is important that the one I buy be in a running roadworthy condition. Will I be able to pick something up on the lower end of the money scale. or am I dreaming dreams?

2. What is the opinion between SWB and LWB? Is there an obvious reason why one should go for any specific one, or is is more of a personal issue?

Looking forward to your opinions and advise

Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Re: Which Buggy

Post by Loopy »

Difficult question!

From personal experience, first thing is what do you want to use the buggy for? I found that the SWB is lacking when carrying people in the back wrt to leg space.

What is your budget, and what can you do yourself? If you can buy something that needs a lot of work that you can do yourself, go that route. Otherwise budget accordingly.

Start with an end goal in mind, and work towards that. That will (hopefully!) help in not doing things at one stage, that will need to be changed somewhere down the line. Any project can become a bottomless money pit, even if spread out across a couple of years.
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

Quote="Loopy"]

I found that the SWB is lacking when carrying people in the back wrt to leg space.
[/quote]
True that but with some creative thinking it can be overcome
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

I second everything Loopy and Buggyfan said, and would like to share a few thoughts myself.

LWB or SWB? Very much personal choice. The first Manx buggies designed and built by Bruce Meyers were shortened between 14 and 15 inches (up to 381mm) to make it more versatile off-road (Willys Jeep principle). An SWB Buggy can go virtually anywhere because of this exact reason, it has a good clearance, high approach and depart angle, and won't easily bottom out.

But shortening a pan is not exactly easy. You also have to shorten

- The wiring harness
- The fuel line
- Clutch cable & guide tube
- 2 x Handbrake cables & guide tubes
- Brake hose
- Gear link

If you buy an SWB Buggy, it is important that all these modifications were done correctly, otherwise you are in for endless problems.

An LWB Buggy will most definitely have more space, and should in theory be more stable on the open road and on winding roads. In the end, the choice is yours.

The distance between the centre of the front and rear wheel on an LWB Buggy should be 2400mm - the same as a Beetle.
JustMe
Drip
What model do you have?: Non Yet

Post by JustMe »

Thank you guys.

I'm getting good advice thus far.

My plan so far is To try and get a buggy that is n semi reasonable shape. From what I read so far, one should think twice to buy one without papers. The most important is to get one that is mechanically in decent nick. I am more than capable to to do "surface Repairs" on the engine. I am however not skilled to touch the inside of the engine and gearbox, and I would therefore want to limit workshop expenses as far as possible.

If I can get one with no / little rust It will be 1st or second choice. The body needs to be in tact, but dos not have to be pretty. I have been looking for something to get my hands dirty with on the spray painting side, and a fiberglass body might just do the trick. :)

The longer term plan will be to smarten it up. Redo the interior and dash board setup, equip it with a decent set of wheels, fit a nice exhaust pipe, etc...

This will be my first project, and i dont have huge amounts of hours to spend on it, so it will be a longer term project, but I want to be able to use it as I go along for the odd joy ride here and there.

I hope I'm not over optimistic, but I was hoping to spend not much more than R10 000 on the initial vehicle.

Do you think this could be doable?