1977 Autovilla 2.0lt

Don't want to register but want to ask a question or post something aircooled for sale? Post here.

1977 Autovilla 2.0lt

Post by Guest »

Hi all new here. I last touched an air cooled too long ago.

It is my intention to buy a 1977 Autovilla 2.0lt in the next two weeks. Time to show life down at least over weekends. The sale is set up but I have to drive to Jhb from Cape Town to fetch and then tandem drive it home.

Questions. What must I look for before I shake the final deal and sign a paper? Also anyone here have that specific engine? What do they think....reliability etc.

TIA
Derius

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: 1977 Autovilla 2.0lt

Post by sean »

For me, the most important factor when looking at an Autovilla would be the condition of the caravan division. Take a look for specifically wood rot. I would not want to take on a vrot one.

Then look at the cab itself,whatch out for filler covering up nasty rust. Minor rust is fixable, but rotten a pillars, sills and doors are not ideal.

The engine would be your last worry. Most times with these old Vw's, the engines arnt well looked after. Worst case scenario is you will need to have it reconditioned.

Leaving the original 2,0 air cooled motor will be the most reliable way to maintain the Autovilla.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Hi - do you have a photo of it ?

Is the interior still original ?

Has it been repainted or panel beated, rust removed, etc during it's life ? How many owners has it had ? Always best to see the vehicle before you hand over the cash - unless of course you know the owner and the vehicle and it's history.

If the 2.0l motor is still in good nick, you won't have any problem with the drive. Probably best to do an oil change service at least and go over the basic stuff before you hit the road.
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.

Post by Guest »

ImageImage

Post by Guest »

ImageImage

Post by Guest »

The back has been rebuilt it seems but it looks clean. Normal little nicks.

Doing the oil up there will be difficult so I thought checking level and taking a 3 day slow drive home then change transmission and engine oil plus filters etc etc.

Post by Guest »

The back has been rebuilt it seems but it looks clean. Normal little nicks.

Doing the oil up there will be difficult so I thought checking level and taking a 3 day slow drive home then change transmission and engine oil plus filters etc etc.

Post by Guest »

Slow drive waaaaargh get it.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

I think that one of the forum members commented on this bus recently, check figs posts of vehicles that he reposts on this forum for sale ...
These users thanked the author jolas for the post:
Derius
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Derius
Drip
What model do you have?: Autovilla 1977 2.0Lt

Post by Derius »

thanks for that dixtoy went to see it asked if he started it hope to get some info prior to going up to see if I must take plugs oil etc with :shock: :D
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

At that price, it should be mechanically perfect and ready for any trip, but I doubt it is.

Be careful here, this is quite a premium price you are willing to pay. Much nicer ones can be found at that price.

If you not into any form of originality and would like to personalize it, then something like this one may work for you instead of modifying a nice original one.
Derius
Drip

Post by Derius »

Thanks for the input Sean appreciate it. I have been looking "original status is not crucial practicality is and I like the shape/style. Always liked VW."
The prices around are crazy and I have missed a few. Will look at modding e.g. solar etc. But not much. A clean looking one at this price is few or maybe I am not looking properly. And any in the cape are due to have rust issues of note. Just looking if it gets home then the sorting out mechanically is not massive but the body should be good.
Thanks again.
Derius
Drip

Post by Derius »

Not taking it as yet.