Newbie Question thread: '78 bay exec

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
brucet
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: '78 2.0 Executive

Newbie Question thread: '78 bay exec

Post by brucet »

Hi all.
i have so many questions regarding the bus i just purchased i thought i would start a thread so as i go along i can just ask them here. I hope that is ok.

I just bought a 78 bay from a forum member. Took it for its first drive today to the car wash. Thought i was going to die! Vehicles have definately advanced a little since the 70's. :)

Anyway i have to following questions so far:
- there is a yellow light between the speedo and clock on the dash that is lit most of the time. What is it for?
- i need to buy a full set of window and door rubbers, badges, tail lights and carpet, where is the best place to get them?

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: Newbie Question thread: '78 bay exec

Post by acpaterson »

Yep, chances are, depending on how it's been maintained, it'll either be ok, or very bad on the road. possibly steering very vague and worn out steering components, but they are replaceable.

When ignition is on, you should have a red light and a yellow light. Red is Alternator, Orange is Oil, when it's running, they should be out. If Orange is on, low oil pressure. Pls check Dip stick. Not wise to drive like this. If Red light is on, car is not re-charging, problem with Alternator.

There are a few users that import their own rubber kits from overseas. Tony Zenger is one who gets proper kits, I'd suggest ask him. Don't skimp on cheaper, locally manufactured rubbers, they are not worth it.

Get ready to create an International account with the likes of Justkampers or some other UK based shop to buy and import a few small items that you won't get locally.

cheers

Alan
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Hi Brucet

Congratulations on finding your kombi. The light in between the instruments you are referring to is the brake master cylinder warning light. This warns you of circuit failure in the brake system. It should be illuminated when the ignition is on and go off when started. If its coming on and off, you have a circuit failure in your hydraulic brake system.

Vintage Kombi in PE has all the rubbers you require in stock for the bus. Speak to Jacques.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you Alan. It turns out the light is the handbrake light. Had a loose wire in the switch which is now sorted.
The battery light is on but goes off at higher revs.
The steering is actually pretty good. I think the issue is me and this being the first classic type vehicle i have ever driven.

How do i get hold of Tony?

Thank you for the reply.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you very much Sean.
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

brucet wrote:Thank you Alan. It turns out the light is the handbrake light. Had a loose wire in the switch which is now sorted.
The battery light is on but goes off at higher revs.
The steering is actually pretty good. I think the issue is me and this being the first classic type vehicle i have ever driven.

Thank you for the reply.

@Tony Z on the forum.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Welcome to the Bus community Bruce.
I've sent you a quick pm.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you Tony Z.

So far i am looking for the following small items if anyone can help please:
- jack
- wheel changing tools
- spare wheel cover
- kick panel in front of driver and front passenger
- cigarette lighter

Looks like i also have to do the brakes, bearings, and it needs a tune up as its barely idling. The steering is also very vague at between about 80 and 100kph (i wasnt brave enough to go faster)- about 1/3 of a turn each way to keep it straight. Wind also seems to affect it alot and easily pushs the bus offline.

Strip down starts next weekend. Also have a mate who is coming to quote me on a respray as the rust is actually quite bad in certain spots.

Oh and i may have to replace the entire exhaust system. Are these available locally?

Thank you
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Some people are probably going to hate this some will love it but we have decided to go for the below look but in the original blue and without the windshield thing.

I have a panel beater visiting me today who will be quoting me on fixing all the rust and restoring the paintwork on the vehicle.

- Will it be really silly of me and really affect the value of the vehicle to have him remove the beading and fill in the holes?
- Is this beading available new or is there someone that can restore them?

- I believe these bumpers are pretty collectible and scarce. Would it be silly to spray them white? I am undecided whether we should do them in chrome or change them to white.

Thank you
Last edited by brucet on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

sorry here is the pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Its your bus to do with as you please. If you are worried about resale value, then leave it stock.
Some of us dont worry about resale value as we have no intention of selling later...

Have fun lowering your bay

The bus you picture does look good though!

Most things are still available new, trim included. It might cost a pretty penny and be hard to find, but replica trim does exist, sometimes even in polished aluminium or polished stainless.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

If you are worried about the bumpers, then instead of painting them, you can get them wrapped. This wont affect the chrome and it'll be removable. Plus cheaper than spraying
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

It would be a real crime to paint those bumpers, but should you wish, I will gladly swap you 2 painted bumpers in exchange for the chrome ones in order to preserve them.

The trim is also a pitty to remove as it is only on the executive models and rather scarce.

You should perhaps try drive a kombi that has been modified to that extent first before you decide on changing it. There are many negative side effects to it.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

ok thank you for the replies.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Sean you are right. Before i do anything like suspension mods i will be checking the negatives also.

The plan so far is to sort out the paint work as a priority to stop all the rust then we will start on the mechanics. The motor is apparently newly rebuilt so will look at things like bearings and suspension first then motor and gearbox.

Tony i will not spray the bumpers and should I decide that I want white I will either wrap them or let you know and swap them. I am also not worried about resale value too much but I also dont want to be silly about it. Im not a fan of the beading for example but as sean says it would be a pity to remove it as it was only available on the exec model.

Right now I need all the rubbers and new rear lights.