Estimated Price on 1971 Bug?

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
alwynpv
Drip
What model do you have?: 1971 Beetle

Estimated Price on 1971 Bug?

Post by alwynpv »

Just want to do some math on whether it makes sense to put money into my Beetle or let it roll along to someone with a passion for it.

Can someone give me an indication of the price range one can expect to get from a 1971 VW Beetle 1300 in White.

Some info:
It is running and driving.
Original Drum Brakes.
Original Paintjob, thus a bunch of nicks and scrapes and two dents the size of a tennis ball on two of the fenders.
Original seats, thus the driver seat area is munched up by the springs below.
Carpeting was redone cheaply in the early 2000's but it is nothing to write home about.
Some of the wiring was munched by rats so probably needs a session at the Auto Electrician.

Just a Ballpark Figure on expected Low of a running Bug with work to do and an expected High for a Bug with nice interior and a smooth running engine?

Low:R 12 000?
High:R 38 000?

beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Re: Estimated Price on 1971 Bug?

Post by beetlepower »

Id say low R20 000 and you about right with the R38 000
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

rats in the electricals...
I'd say hi 20k if you are lucky.
Low 15k.
alwynpv
Drip

Post by alwynpv »

Tony Z wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:45 pm rats in the electricals...
Low 15k.
Just out of interest, would your "high" value move upward if I get an Auto Electrician to replace all the wiring with a complete new set?

The "high" value is for a car with an interior that is redone and the dent's in the fenders fixed properly.

I'm trying to figure out what amount of money is sensible to spend on this project before I reach break-even point. I want to try to get it to an everyday/weekend drive car. The car itself had cost me nothing as I inherited it from my Grandma, so I am in a fortunate position with a starting cost of R0.00
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Post by beetlepower »

Can you post some pictures?
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
alwynpv
Drip

Post by alwynpv »

beetlepower wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 am Can you post some pictures?
Photos posted on this "My Ride" thread. Take note the photo on the trailer is when I took it out of the Barn, it is much cleaner now.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35698
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

alwynpv wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am
Low 15k.
Just out of interest, would your "high" value move upward if I get an Auto Electrician to replace all the wiring with a complete new set?

The "high" value is for a car with an interior that is redone and the dent's in the fenders fixed properly.

I'm trying to figure out what amount of money is sensible to spend on this project before I reach break-even point. I want to try to get it to an everyday/weekend drive car. The car itself had cost me nothing as I inherited it from my Grandma, so I am in a fortunate position with a starting cost of R0.00
not many people want a car with known electrical issues, especially not issues resulting from rats having eaten wires in various locations. Who knows how many problems you will have in the future? Get it fixed properly and you'll find a buyer much easier.
The interior doesnt make the car work, it just adds value.

How much to spend before you reach a break even point? Well, you are looking at it the wrong way.
If you are building it to sell it, then yes, thats how to look at it.
If you are building it for yourself, then you have to decide, do you want to drive a beetle or rather spend the money on another clapped out POS citi or ballade or something similar? If you want to drive the beetle, then fix it properly, if you want a watercooled car, then sell the beetle - end of story
alwynpv
Drip

Post by alwynpv »

Tony Z wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:13 am
alwynpv wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am
Low 15k.

not many people want a car with known electrical issues, especially not issues resulting from rats having eaten wires in various locations. Who knows how many problems you will have in the future? Get it fixed properly and you'll find a buyer much easier.
The interior doesnt make the car work, it just adds value.

How much to spend before you reach a break even point? Well, you are looking at it the wrong way.
If you are building it to sell it, then yes, thats how to look at it.
If you are building it for yourself, then you have to decide, do you want to drive a beetle or rather spend the money on another clapped out POS citi or ballade or something similar? If you want to drive the beetle, then fix it properly, if you want a watercooled car, then sell the beetle - end of story
Thanks, it definitely makes sense to redo the wiring no matter which route I decide to go. With the wires being about 46 years old it would be a worthy upgrade at a reasonable cost if I work with figures I have been able to gather.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Not sure why you asking.

If its to sell on the car and make money out of it, then your best bet is to sell as is, and wait for the right buyer that wants THAT car.

If you want to fix it to drive, but want to keep it financially viable, then fear not, not one of our cars are done on a budget, but to personal slandered that we want the car to bee at.

This will always be above market value.

When sold just after you done up the car you loose big time.

It gets its value over time, when you break even again.

So as asked, what do you want to do with the car, then you will get a true replay from the forum.

good luck with your Beetle

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
alwynpv
Drip

Post by alwynpv »

retrovan wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am Not sure why you asking.

If its to sell on the car and make money out of it, then your best bet is to sell as is, and wait for the right buyer that wants THAT car.

If you want to fix it to drive, but want to keep it financially viable, then fear not, not one of our cars are done on a budget, but to personal slandered that we want the car to bee at.

This will always be above market value.

When sold just after you done up the car you loose big time.

It gets its value over time, when you break even again.

So as asked, what do you want to do with the car, then you will get a true replay from the forum.

good luck with your Beetle

Herman
In short, I want to drive it regularly, possibly as my main vehicle. This is the first motivation.

Out of this goal I will be able to sell both my current car and the wife's car to upgrade to a single, proper family SUV which will be used for any family outings.

I know that I go through car phases that last about 3 to 4 years, so I will probably want to sell it in the future so I don't want to be in too deep with regards to expenses that I feel like I made a loss.

Thanks for everyone's feedback thusfar, it is insightful and makes me consider things more carefully for myself. At the minimum, I would want it to be a lekker weekend drive car with minimum hassles.
FaanP
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1971 beetle

Post by FaanP »

If you sell it now a reasonable price will be 12-15K. Or that is what I got mine at .....

How much should you spend on it? From what I've seen the 1970's beetles doesn't fetch the prices that the ones from the early 60's does. Thus if your motivation is to sell - spend as little as possible and get it half decent.

If you wanna keep it - go nuts - take a second mortgage on the house and spend next months grocery money as well .... :o :o

Or that is what I'm doing :)
alwynpv
Drip

Post by alwynpv »

FaanP wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:08 pm If you sell it now a reasonable price will be 12-15K. Or that is what I got mine at .....

How much should you spend on it? From what I've seen the 1970's beetles doesn't fetch the prices that the ones from the early 60's does. Thus if your motivation is to sell - spend as little as possible and get it half decent.

If you wanna keep it - go nuts - take a second mortgage on the house and spend next months grocery money as well .... :o :o

Or that is what I'm doing :)
Haha. If the 60's Beetles are getting good prices now, then one would assume the 70's beetles will fetch good money in about 10 years time :wink:

So I can spend bucketloads on the car in the next 10 years and then sell it on for a profit. :D

Thanks for the advice, I'm sold!