Vin help

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
TurkishZa
Drip
What model do you have?: '68 Bay Window

Vin help

Post by TurkishZa »

Hey guys n gals,

I need help decifering my vin number and some accompanying proof that it's a 1962.

The Vin number is 26900620.

It's a double cab. Can anyone provide some info? I've done a bit of searching and can't find anything. Not sure if he SA models had a different numbering system.

Thanks in advance!

james309
Drip
What model do you have?: Crew Cab

Re: Vin help

Post by james309 »

This vin number isn't correct for a '62. Is it German built or CKD built ?

Are you taking the chassis number from the body/m plate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TurkishZa
Drip
What model do you have?: '68 Bay Window

Post by TurkishZa »

I think it's German built. What is CKD?

I'll check against the m plate.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

That VIN is for a 1969 pick-up, either single or double cab. It belongs to an early baywindow. A 1962 would be a split windscreen.

The VIN is stamped on the body to the right (FIF) of the engine, just in front (FIF) of where the rear valence mates with the body. What does the stamped VIN say?
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Piet
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: type 3, Porsche 550

Post by Piet »

TurkishZa wrote:I think it's German built. What is CKD?.
Completely knocked down. Some models were build in Germany but imported half-assembled and then completed over here. So it is a misnomer but I suppose (n)ot-(c)ompletely-(a)ssembled didn't sound so well.
I believe FIF was coined by John Muir, refering to the fact that you should not confuse the front of the engine with the front of the car.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Piet wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:03 pm
TurkishZa wrote:I think it's German built. What is CKD?.
Completely knocked down. Some models were build in Germany but imported half-assembled and then completed over here. So it is a misnomer but I suppose (n)ot-(c)ompletely-(a)ssembled didn't sound so well.
I believe FIF was coined by John Muir, refering to the fact that you should not confuse the front of the engine with the front of the car.
Yes, CKD = completely knocked down. NCA wasn't used because there's another, more appropriate abbreviation in use: SKD = semi knocked down.

And full marks to Piet for correctly interpreting FIF. No one has ever asked me about that one! I don't know if it was coined by John Muir (I thought it was a standard internet TLA on car forums). For the benefit of all, FIF = front is front. As Piet says, it's a reminder when using the terms front and rear and left and right on a car that they are always from the perspective that front is front of the car, not from the perspective of the viewer.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Piet
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: type 3, Porsche 550

Post by Piet »

John wrote "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive; A Manual of Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" in the 1960's. It is worth reading, if only for the lessons in common sense and the spirit of that era.