lumpy idle and dies after a while

Ask and give advice here
Herr bmw
Drip
What model do you have?: 1975vw beetle 1600l

lumpy idle and dies after a while

Post by Herr bmw »

bit more history,car only gets used every 3rd sunday of the month,or to the other classic shows,since end of feb,hasnt been used,was involved in a big bike accident on r21 in rush hour,left hand smashed,
so last month charged battery for the 3rd sunday of the month,wouldnt start,so jump started it from the corsa,let it idle for a good hour or so while my son washed it,sunday moved cars, pulled it out,and then the fun and games started,lumpy idle, battled to get it back up the driveway and in to its parking spot,checked points gap and timing,still lumpy and dies when revving it.closed everything up and went to the dream on wheels show,the following weekend,tried to start it,dead.
since then,another operation on left hand,and another one coming up 1st august once cast comes off,so it will still be standing for a long time

would love to know why it has a lumpy idle and dies while revving it?

this car has been a bit of a headache since i bought it,cant find a mechanic to work on it and have slowly been doing it myself,but this last tantrum from her,has got me thinking she should be sold or burnt with fire,lol

any help would be appreciated,thanks

dixtoy
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 59 Beetle

Re: lumpy idle and dies after a while

Post by dixtoy »

Have you tried some fresh fuel and cleaning the carb as old fuel makes a buildup in the carb if it stands for long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'M ADDICTED TO BRAKE FLUID, BUT HEY I CAN STOP ANY TIME

1959 Beetle (Lindor)
1975 Fleetline panel (Ouvrou)
1971 Westy (Gypsy)
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

I would have the battery checked by a battery shop., as if the battery is dead it will not be able to supply correct voltage to your dizzy and coil.

Also as Dix said, clean out your fuel tank, clean the filter in the outlet from your tank to the engine, replace the in-line fuel filter and remove the carb and just clean it out, do not adjust anything, and make sure the caskets are in-place and sealing properly when you put it back.
-She will run right after that.

Thats all she is asking for, not much to ask, and she will be as pleasant as can be after some TLC....

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Herr bmw
Drip
What model do you have?: 1975vw beetle 1600l

Post by Herr bmw »

thanks,once my left hand is out of cast,and i can start using it will try the above,will just keep her clean for now
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Letting the car idle for long periods, especially with LRP, can foul the spark plugs. Also, your symptoms could be caused by a faulty condenser. The new ones don't seem to like sitting for long periods.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford