Engine swap question.

Ask and give advice here
Tino.Es
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Engine swap question.

Post by Tino.Es »

Hello

My girlfriend drives a 1977 Beetle and wont let it go at any cost. She had offers from in the R30k's to as high as in the R50k's and everywhere she stops
everybody wants to know "how much". I got her as far to agree to at least change the engine to something a bit more economical. This thing is sucking
her wallet dry. My question is: Which engines can be fitted with the least amount of modifying considering I am looking for economy not performance.

Which engines will fit the best so I don't have to cut the bodywork. I would like to be able to keep as much in place should I change back to the twin port.

People please, only facts and answers. I have been spending a LOT of time on forums reading up on opinions and guessing. Has anyone gone for a smaller block or 3 cylinder swap. Or a small Diesel conversion? The engine should at least have fuel injection.

If anyone has facts or answers It would be greatly appreciated.

Tino

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Engine swap question.

Post by Tony Z »

anything watercooled is going to be a lot heavier than the stock engine and will add poor handling characteristics to the car, making it even more prone to oversteer. Plus, anything and everything that you do will need the body to be hacked up for the piping and radiator.

That, plus you are usually looking at engine with less torque in the rev ranges that the bug is usually used in, thus the economical engine will need to be driven harder and revved higher to make up for it, thus decreasing your fuel efficiency.

You are also destroying the character of the car that she so madly loves.
Then how long will it take to pay off the 30k+++ that this conversion will set you back vs the fuel saved?

With the beetle running properly on its stock engine, you should be able to achieve better than 10L per 100km.
With the engine in good condition with good carbs, you should be able to get better than 8L/100 on the highway at 100km/h
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

Engine swaps hardly ever end up complete and running properly if U are on a budget
doing a conversion is not going to be cheap if U do it properly
and when U ever do sell the car the value will drop dramatically so U will never
get the money spent back

Why does she not get the car sorted out properly to be economical it would save alot of money
to just get the aircooled motor properly checked up and tuned or rebuilt if neccesary
U Only Live Once Right !!!
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

You would know from my past posts, I am a guy game for anything.

So if you want to save fuel, without spending money, then I have to go with the guys here above, as they have summed it up to a "T"

Water cooled is total out because of body cuts, fitting radiators, running pipes, and making adapters, ect, ect. ect.

So that leaves air cooled, there are not many to chose from, either an Beetle motor, OH wait, you have one, or an bike engine.

The bike engine is light, aircooled and powerful, BUT...

Now you would need to make ways of getting the power to the gearbox.

And the ratios need to be looked at....

You would have to cut up the engine bay, make mountings, and duct air to flow air into the engine chamber.

No, noting is cheap, as said, the cheapest would be to have your motor "freshened up" maybe balance the parts, clean the heads, better exhaust,

Carb kit, electric fuel pump. and a good greasing and body service, as I am sure this car has not been greased for yours.

This will make the car roll better, more powerful and this will go into fuel saving if driven normally.

And all this will be less then ANY conversion.

The best part is that the car remains sell able.....

Now thats nice...

OMO

Herman

Here is a bike engined Beetle.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_yhucWo-Fo
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tino.Es
Drip

Post by Tino.Es »

Thanks everyone. She's got a heavy foot and a carb on each side.... Will not let go of this monstrosity for all the money in the world and refuse to use my 320d mapped for max economy rather than power. I should just steal this engine out and build a KR2S with it. I am a top end tech @ O.R Tambo
so I will find a way if there is one. I was hoping for a solid answer but... guess I will have to go the long route and do the hard math. My first choice would be a VW Polo 1.2 Tdi 3 cyl engine if it would fit.

Any quick fit fuel injection kits available off the shelf? I have seen the guys fit cut Nissan Sani intake manifolds with injectors to KR2 conversions.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

As you are all about the money, for fuel saving that is...

Your lady is enjoying the nostalgia of the beetle, and if you not a fan of the beetle you would not understand the joy we get out of the aircooled little personality running in the back of these magic little cars.

As you do not get it, you may loose your lady, if you push this obsession, and you will find the she may give you up rather then let you remove the little aircooled that can.

This here forum is full of addicts, yes we would spend a fortune on these family members, let them drink as much fuel as they want, and break down as often as they like.

Yes this is some thing you got or you have not.

If you have not, you will not understand......

Good luck

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Tino.Es wrote: " Will not let go of this monstrosity for all the money in the world and refuse to use my 320d".
True running cost would be to also include your 320d's depreciation, insurance cost, (and financing cost if applicable).

Beetle body's aerodynamic coefficient (CD), is 0.48 versus latest cars closer to 0.32.

If you want to go fuel injection...manifold setup from a late Mexican beetle could be used. Because of firing order, i would use those instead of siamesed inlets which are also available.

Tom Bishop did this, his post is under projects.viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7261&hilit=thing&start=255
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Tino.Es
Drip

Post by Tino.Es »

Ah-ha now that is the kind of helpful fact I was looking for. Dawie, jy is n yster, baie dankie. Now I am pointed in the right direction.
I will post some photos for those who might see the beetle on the road.
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

I think everybody was very helpful in steering you away from putting in a watercooled engine and averting the horrors that come with it. Hopefully retrofitting the fuel injection system will give you what you hope for.
Project_Dub
Drip
What model do you have?: 1966 VW Beetle 1100
South Africa

Post by Project_Dub »

https://youtu.be/jftaNSK1Yrs

It can be done despite naysayers. I'm considering a 3cyl diesel swap just as a fun project. Not sure about the cost projections yet but you can't put a price on happiness :wink: