Tony's 1302S

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Tony's 1302S

Post by Tony Z »

I've gone through this topic and reloaded all the pictures that were lost in time...

Then to add to Terry's question about the difference between the 1302 and the "normal" beetles...
Have a look at the following pictures of the front suspension and compare them to the front end of the normal bug

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

As far as progress goes on this project.

I've taken the doors off and had them repainted again as there was quite a few chip marks made by the panel guys when they put them on after the first paint.

I have also got a crankcase that I am happy to use for the engine.
I am going the type 4 route with this one. The block is supposed to be nearly bulletproof, but amazingly, I have bought and then resold 3 cases before finally finding one that I am happy to use for my project. Maybe I am just trying to be too perfect.
So far, I have opened up the case for the barrels I am planning on using as well as cut the case for the cooling system.
It seems I didnt take any pics of the cooling system mocked up, but here are two of the cutting for the barrels

Other than that, I have started making up a "Kaefer cup brace" which triangulates the back end and stops the frame horns and gearbox from moving. No pictures unfortunately.

I added a earth strap as this car didnt have one when I received it.

And I've mounted a nosecone mount for the front of the gearbox.

I'm hoping to make some more progress in August when I am home next.
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Post by Riaan.N »

I can only begin to imagine what you have planned with a type 4 engine and if Angrrrr is anything to go by..... please don't leave as hanging :-)

I'm not so clued up on the differences of all the type 4 engines.... you mentioned cooling system, is that also just by means of air and oil? Will you be going with the Porsche style alternator cooling shroud?

What issues are there when fitting a type 4 engine to a beetle, other than clearance and making the tinware to fit?

Nice work TonyZ!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

This engine is going to be a lot tamer than Angrrr's engine. I dont want two of those cars in my garage. But I'm hoping it will still be impressive. For example, the cam has about 20deg less duration and about 2mm less valve lift.

I really wanted to go with the horizontal Porsche cooling setup, but the costs are ridiculous. So I'm converting it to T1 "upright" cooling.
Amazingly, I forgot that I actually bought a csp upright conversion kit (basically an alternator stand and a pair of fibreglass cylinder covers) back in 2005. I spotted it while looking for something else. Getting it to fit took a bit a faffing, but it wasnt too difficult with the mill.

The T4 engine is a 1700/1800/2000 from the VW 411, 412 and later baywindow busses.
It doesnt fit the bug with its normal cooling setup. Needs flywheel/crank mods to fit the beetle gearbox, needs a cooling system, the bigger flywheels need the bellhousing ground away to fit.
And as yet I havent tried to mock it up into the car, so I dont really know what is in store for me yet.
The case is stronger and the engine has bigger and more cooling fins. But.... parts are scarce and DAMN expensive. I'm trying to sell some items to partially fund the purchase of others...
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Any reason why you didn't use one of those industrial engines as a fresh start?

Loving the build so far
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Post by Riaan.N »

CSP makes some nice things

Thanks for the explanations.

Will you also go electronic ignition with a crank sensor route on this engine?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Blitzkrieg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm Any reason why you didn't use one of those industrial engines as a fresh start?

Loving the build so far
simple reason. I'm not stripping one of those brand new engines just so I can use the case and heads and then discarding everything else. :hangloose:

For timing I'm going to be making a crank trigger setup, but thats a project for another week/month
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Thanks for the pictures Tony now I got it.It looks pretty impressive I must say.I will have to fly down so I can go for a ride with you maybe it will sort my back out,nice job. :lol:
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Blitzkrieg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm Any reason why you didn't use one of those industrial engines as a fresh start?

Loving the build so far
simple reason. I'm not stripping one of those brand new engines just so I can use the case and heads and then discarding everything else. :hangloose:
Im very glad to here this.

But should you need many usable 2L parts, I can help, if we can talk about those industrial motors you have there.... :twisted:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

sean wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 pm
But should you need many usable 2L parts, I can help, if we can talk about those industrial motors you have there.... :twisted:
I guess I'm not getting any help from you then :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Terry Phillips wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 pm Thanks for the pictures Tony now I got it.It looks pretty impressive I must say.I will have to fly down so I can go for a ride with you maybe it will sort my back out,nice job. :lol:
You are welcome to come visit, but I'm not going to be held responsible for another heart episode of yours... :oops: :shock:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Another thing that I double checked a short while ago was my custom made seat mounts to fit my new seats.
I sent the seats up to JHB when the car was first getting done so they could be fitted properly.

Well, you draw your own conclusions as to the quality of the work that I got back.

And no, I didnt need to use a hammer to break those welds, they came pre-broken. I'm glad I checked this one...

Needless to say, I still consider myself more of a grinder than a welder and even though my welding is pretty poor, the end result (no picture) is much stronger than what I started off with. Ugly, but better.
Doesnt help using stick to join 4mm flats to 2mm thick box section... thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Even I can weld better than that I actually cant believe they would allow work like that leave their shop its a disgrace hell no man.
So now Turning Tony when can I book a ride in this here car I am getting jealous now with all the things you are fitting except those seats. Looking good I must say wish I could be there to see the progress. Oh well they have just blown up a substation up the road no Power until tmrw missed F1 qualifying. Thanks for the posts Tony interesting I must say.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

My aim for this year was to finish this car... but I'm battling to find the time and keep starting other projects.
If not this year, then I'll really be aiming for this time next year.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Tony Z wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:36 am My aim for this year was to finish this car... but I'm battling to find the time and keep starting other projects.
If not this year, then I'll really be aiming for this time next year.
I use the same formula. ......nothing gets done though :(
You can never have enough Garages :-(