Modify beetle suspention

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Herman1
Drip
What model do you have?: 1972

Modify beetle suspention

Post by Herman1 »

Hi. I am new here. Very informative forum. I have actually been a follower for 2 years so I have finally decided to join in because I need advice on my project and it would be nice to share my trials and victories.

So, I want to convert my replica Porsche/beeltle RSK718 Syder in such a way that instead of the regular front and rear beatle suspentions I would instead go for the Formula Vee type of suspentions. Has it been done and if possible, who in Cape Town can do it? The gearbox is already " reversed" so that the motor and box sits the same as on a formula vee.

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Modify beetle suspention

Post by retrovan »

If my memory serves me right, we Stiffened up the STD beetle front beam, by strengthening the shock towers, and placing short stroke shocks on it to stop excessive movement and to harden the ride.

The height was determined by the pipe frame.

Some used the STD beam and pulled it down with canvas straps to stop the excessive movement.

The less used option was strengthening the shock towers and short coil overs on a STD beam.

But not sure what the modern Vee's use.

So all the above can be done on your car but why, are you going racing.??

If so, what you doing to the back suspension, cross over coil overs or 3rd spring system...???

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc