Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

WHERE CAN I GET AND WHAT SHOULD I USE?

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

HOWDY ALL.

I AM ABOUT TO PUT TOGETHER 3 X 2L KOMBI ENGINES (CJ)

THE FIRST ONE I AM HAPPY TO KEEP STOCK STD IE. PISTONS/RINGS/BEARINGS/CAM/CRANK/CARBS ETC.......

THE SECOND I WANT TO DO FLAT-TOP 96MM PISTONS/34 ICT'S/HYDRAULIC CAM AND LIFTERS

THE THIRD WILL PROBABLY BE STD AS WELL. IT IS FOR SOMEONE ELSE AND I WILL ONLY KNOW WHEN I SEE THE CONDITION OF THE ENGINE.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS:-

WHERE CAN I GET NEW CAMSHAFTS?
WHAT CAMSHAFTS SHOULD I GET? (MAKE AND OOMPH)
WHERE SHOULD I LOOK FOR ICT'S?
SHOULD I CONSIDER HEADWORK AND IF SO WHAT?
WHERE CAN I GET VALVES AND GUIDES?
ROCKER SYSTEM?

PLEASE LET ME HAVE YOUR THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, CRITISISMS AND LEFT-OVERS.

WE ARE STILL LOOKING FOR HEADS, TIN AND THAT BRASS GEAR ON THE CRANK (DRIVES THE DISTRBUTOR)

THANKS
MARK

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: WHERE CAN I GET AND WHAT SHOULD I USE?

Post by sean »

Why do you want to fit ICT's? They fit straight onto the 2l manifolds, but you have no power gain and they certainly stand out quite ugly compared to original parts. Original Solex is best if set up properly.

Why new camshafts? Most is Chinese. Cant you regrind?
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

THE MAJORITY OF STUFF THAT I HAVE IS IN VERY BAD CONDITION. THE CAMSHAFTS ARE ALL SHOT AND BEYOND A REGRIND. I HAVE TRIED TO GET SPARES FROM AT LEAST 6 SUPPLIERS BUT I HAVE BEEN UNSUCESSFUL.
I'M LOOKING AT POSSIBLY IMPORTING SOME GOODIES. (I'LL PIGGYBACK ON THE STUFF MY CUSTOMER HAS TO BRING IN TO DO HIS ENGINE)
THE ICT'S SEEM TO BE THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE REPLACEMENT AND I KNOW OF AT LEAST A COUPLE OF GUYS ON THE FORUM THAT SWEAR BY THEM.
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

I had a set of ICT's on my one buses for 3 or 4 years and removed them last month to install original solex. No difference in power, but cold start much better with solex due to having choke units which ICT's don't.

If you want power gain, you must go twin IDF's.
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

THANKS FOR THE TIP SEAN.
UNFORTUNATELY THEY COST BETWEEN $400 - $450 MORE THAN THE ICT'S SO IT'S A NO-GO FOR ME.
WHICH OF THE ICT'S AND SOLEX GAVE THE BETTER FUEL ECONOMY?
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

A lot of the guys that do not like the ICT is the guys that have old 2nd hand carbs that have the incorrect jets in it for their engine.

If you buy a new set of ICT from https://www.dellorto.co.uk and you tell him the engine size, any mods you have done to the engine and at what altitude you going to run normally, he will fit the correct jets before shipping and set the float levels.

So you just plug and play.

I have never had a problem to cold start my engines, as I switch on the ignition and wait for the fuel pump to fill the float, then give two pumps on the accelerator and she starts.

The ICT normally has a 5% fuel saving on the solex and a 6% power increase on the solex.

Thats my findings on the 4 sets I have.

Good luck getting the parts you need as they are not plentiful as the Beetle parts.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I'm running 34 ICTs on Groenie, our Fleetline panelvan, on an otherwise stock 1600 twin port engine (some porting also done).

They have been properly set up by Maurice Rosenberg, who said the engine gave 42kW (at Jhb altitude) on his dyno (stock is 35kW). They definitely give more power at high revs, but seem quite gutless in the mid-range. In urban driving I'm not seeing any difference in fuel consumption, but on the open road I can get 10km/l, while most of my other buses get around 8km/l. I've had no cold starting issues; 2 pumps on the pedal and it fires up quickly.

However, I have another set of brand new 34 ICTs (genuine Weber) on the shelf that I doubt I will ever fit on an engine (maybe I'd fit them to a Beetle, but not a bus). If I go the twin carb route again I'll definitely use 36IDFs, as they improve performance across the rev range. 36IDFs are not that hard to find at reasonable prices, as they were stock fitment on flat-four Alfa Romeos: Alfasud, Alfa Export and Alfa 33.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

YEP, THIS IS PROVING TO BE QUITE A CHALLENGE. I HAVE CONTACTED OVER 10 SUPPLIERS (LOCALLY IN S.A.) BUT CAN FIND JUST ABOUT NOTHING.
I'M STARTING TO UNDERSTAND WHY MORE AND MORE OF THESE VEHICLES ARE BEING CONVERTED TO WATERCOOLED OR BEING SOLD OVERSEAS. IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING! BY THE TIME I'VE IMPORTED THE STUFF I NEED I COULD FIT A SUBARU ENGINE; 2ND HAND OF COURSE.
I'LL KEEP TRYING FOR NOW BUT IT'S REALLY TESTING MY PATIENCE.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP WITH REGARDS THE ICT'S.

THANKS MSSRS FIG.
IS THAT A TYPO," 36ICT'S AREN'T THAT HARD......" ; DID YOU MEAN 36IDF'S AS YOU MENTIONED EARLIER THAT THEY WERE BETTER IN YOUR OPINION.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Cyndi Kritzinger wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:06 am THANKS MSSRS FIG.
IS THAT A TYPO," 36ICT'S AREN'T THAT HARD......" ; DID YOU MEAN 36IDF'S AS YOU MENTIONED EARLIER THAT THEY WERE BETTER IN YOUR OPINION.
Haha, no need to confuse me with mrsfig, Cyndi; I may not shout all the time to differentiate myself, but mrsfig has her own username. :P

Yes, I meant 36IDFs, damn fingers. Corrected.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Mark, also remember that on a 1600, it is a single carb as standard. Going from single to double will have a difference. The type 4 motor is twin carb as standard, so there is no benefit in changing from Solex to ICT's in a type 4 motors case.

I had a new set of the ICT Webers made in Spain. I couldn't fault them, they worked, but I just couldn't look at something so ugly and foreign any longer. A PROPERLY set up set of Solex's are very efficient. 10 km/l is achievable when the weather is good. BADLY set up / rebuild carbs will give you 5 km/l.

I will unfortunately not understand a water cooled conversion when everything you need is available. We not living in the 1900's anymore, anything around the world is freely available within days with the transport networks we have.

VW Heritage, is an example. You can buy bearings, cams, cranks, the whole lot. Just view the website. You can also send the list to Jacques, Aircooled Spares in PE to add to their stock orders to save on shipping.
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION SEAN.
WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THOSE ICT'S THEN?

UNFORTUNATELY I THINK THAT DOING BUSINESS WITH JAQUES IN P.E. IS PROBABLY OUT OF THE QUESTION AS HE TRIED TO BELITTLE ME ON THIS SAME FORUM FOR ASKING A SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD QUESTION. ALSO, KNOWING THAT HE IS CONSTANTLY ON THE FORUM AND KNOWING THAT HE MUST HAVE SEEN MY REQUESTS I WOULD EXPECT THAT HE WOULD HAVE COME FORWARD TO OFFER HIS ASSISTANCE OF HIS OWN ACCORD BUT UNFORTUNATELY THAT HASN'T HAPPENED.
I WILL THEREFORE HAVE TO SPEND MY HARD EARNED (AND MEAGRE) CASH ELSEWHERE.
THANK YOU THOUGH FOR THE MENTION.... AT LEAST I CAN SEE YOUR EFFORT.

@ FIG
THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Cyndi Kritzinger wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:39 pm THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION SEAN.
WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THOSE ICT'S THEN?

UNFORTUNATELY I THINK THAT DOING BUSINESS WITH JAQUES IN P.E. IS PROBABLY OUT OF THE QUESTION AS HE TRIED TO BELITTLE ME ON THIS SAME FORUM FOR ASKING A SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD QUESTION. ALSO, KNOWING THAT HE IS CONSTANTLY ON THE FORUM AND KNOWING THAT HE MUST HAVE SEEN MY REQUESTS I WOULD EXPECT THAT HE WOULD HAVE COME FORWARD TO OFFER HIS ASSISTANCE OF HIS OWN ACCORD BUT UNFORTUNATELY THAT HASN'T HAPPENED.
I WILL THEREFORE HAVE TO SPEND MY HARD EARNED (AND MEAGRE) CASH ELSEWHERE.
THANK YOU THOUGH FOR THE MENTION.... AT LEAST I CAN SEE YOUR EFFORT.

@ FIG
THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP
The ICT's are living in a cupboard now. They would be more suitable for a type 1 twin carb conversion.

You can still order direct from VW Heritage. Just make sure it goes with the professionals for shipping. No post office. When I've ordered from Wolfsburg West in the US, the goods are on my door in less than a week.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Have only bought my Genuine Weber carbs from https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-cate ... ttor-kits/

The ones as advertised by VW Heritge are all marked weber but under the EMPI brand and have the incorrect jets in.

as can be seen here ;- https://www.vwheritage.com/ac1297016-ca ... t-vw-spare

It makes a big difference what you get as they look the same.

So for a few Ponds more then a single carb you get the full twin Carb kit.

Just make sure you ask to have the right jets fitted, this is a free service.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

THANKS HERMAN.
AT THIS RATE I'LL HAVE TO LAUGH OFF THE CARBS AS THE COST IS JUST TOO HIGH FOR US BUT THE INFO IS INVALUABLE.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

a simple carb option, if you dont want to use the stock carbs, is the single DCD with the EMPI manifold in the middle

its not ideal by a long shot, and the stock or icts will be better, but its an option and its cheaper. You could even have it copied and make it locally if you really want to.