Carburetor

Ask and give advice here
shaggy10111
Drip
What model do you have?: regi

Carburetor

Post by shaggy10111 »

Hi there.
I have recently had a new carb installed. (Both old carbs would not idle, flat spots etc) this new one idles great, runs smooth no flat spots etc.
One problem I am having is on cold start it starts perfectly. After a short drive to the shops, when starting again it struggles then once started it splutters and smells like petrol for a bit, after a minute or 2 runs smoothe again.
Is this the carb over fueling on shut off?
Is it bad for the engine or just an inconvenience?
How to fix it?
Or what else can it be

Many thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Carburetor

Post by Tony Z »

Take it for a drive, and when you get home, take the air filter off and look down the carb throat. As the carb warms up (no more cold air flowing thru it to keep it cool), you might see fuel dripping onto the butterfly. If you do, this is your problem and it is killing your engine by diluting your oil with petrol.
Hopefully your supplier can help you fix the problem
evan.fraser.274
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: T3 FB, T2 Bay, 63 T1
South Africa

Re: Carburetor

Post by evan.fraser.274 »

shaggy10111 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:47 pm Hi there.
I have recently had a new carb installed. (Both old carbs would not idle, flat spots etc) this new one idles great, runs smooth no flat spots etc.
One problem I am having is on cold start it starts perfectly. After a short drive to the shops, when starting again it struggles then once started it splutters and smells like petrol for a bit, after a minute or 2 runs smoothe again.
Is this the carb over fueling on shut off?
Is it bad for the engine or just an inconvenience?
How to fix it?
Or what else can it be

Many thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
You don't specify the type of car but I assume a Beetle given your mention of a "carb" and not "carbs". Is it an OEM design carb (i.e. either an original Solex or a Solex copy), and but does it have the cut-off solenoid? I know that a faulty solenoid can affect the cut-off of fuel overflow when the carb is hot and the car is off (although issues with this will mean the vehicle will not idle if the faulty solenoid is closed). If you have a spare solenoid, perhaps swap it out. It could be jammed open...
Given enough time and money, anything is possible...