vin no on pan and also tag riveted to beach buggy body.

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Michael Bonthuys
Drip
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy
South Africa

vin no on pan and also tag riveted to beach buggy body.

Post by Michael Bonthuys »

Hi all, I am still trying to work out who was the original or last owner of the bakkie type buggy I bought with a pan that I repaired
at home. I was told by by the SAP Guy that I must bring proof that the pan is not stolen. This I have not been able to do because I cannot trace
the last owner. So after a long battle i eventually got the pan on my name. Still no luck with SAP. I scrapped the pan. If there is anyone out there on the vw air waves that can help with any information it would be greatly appreciated. the tag number is 3719663 and the pan number is SF1112664102. from what I understand it seems that certain beetle chassis have no number so when this one was converted to a buggy all that they did was register it with the tag number as the vin number. :zhelp: :zhelp: :zhelp:

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: vin no on pan and also tag riveted to beach buggy body.

Post by Tony Z »

Seems strange to me.
I'd think that you'd be able to make up an affidavit saying that you bought the pan.
On their systems, they should be able to check the pan number, and if it is noted as stolen, then it'll red flag.
Others with more knowledge than me on this should pipe up and comment.

For an engine, you make an affidavit, go to the license dept, ask for an RPC (request for police clearance), go for police clearance with the engine (this is where they check the engine number to ensure it isnt stolen), then give you the green light.
Michael Bonthuys
Drip
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy
South Africa

Post by Michael Bonthuys »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:44 pm Seems strange to me.
I'd think that you'd be able to make up an affidavit saying that you bought the pan.
On their systems, they should be able to check the pan number, and if it is noted as stolen, then it'll red flag.
Others with more knowledge than me on this should pipe up and comment.

For an engine, you make an affidavit, go to the license dept, ask for an RPC (request for police clearance), go for police clearance with the engine (this is where they check the engine number to ensure it isnt stolen), then give you the green light.
Hi Tony Z, I have tried everything you have said. No luck. The thing that irritates me is that I want to do things legally and have no comebacks in the future for whatever reason. I have tried tracing agents at quite a cost but even they cannot help. Seems I am in a position where I shall have to seek external help. Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

With "tag number", do you refer to the id plate from VW which they attached by rivets? If so, that would refer to a 1961 beetle.
The pan number, stamped below rear seat position... That could indicate 1971 production year. Sometimes the prefix "sf" was added to engine number or gearbox to indicate South African origin.

Police clearance told me what matter is the original unmodified stamped number on the chassis. That take preference. They would need an invoice to prove how you became the owner. Alternatively/ or also a detailed police affidavit.
If the pan is from the few early seventies years where the pan was not stamped, police guys would inspect the id plate on body's rivets to confirm it was never tampered with.

They said in case where chassis got changed, You need to scrap previous id and go with replacement chassis's registration papers.

When dealing with the state, i found that sometimes, if you provide more details than they need, the process freeze if junior staff gets involved.

If the tag is from a different car i would try again minus that tag. Plus affidavit about the chassis.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Buying/ registering a vehicle without papers/ not registered in seller's name can become a nightmare. Mostly not worth the trouble. Unless a valuable classic.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).