David Piper's 917?

Non ACVW models.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

David Piper's 917?

Post by Pine »

Saw this racing car (Porsche 917?) on a trailer in very busy traffic near the Jan Smuts Airport yesterday. Behind the driver seat, it seems like it had David Piper's signature on a plate. Unfortunately I couldn't get a front shot. Does anyone know the story of this car, I suppose it is a replica?

From Wikipedia:
David Piper (born December 2nd, 1930 in Edgware[1]) is a British former Formula One and sports car racing driver from England. He participated in 3 Formula One World Championship Grands Prix, debuting on July 18, 1959. He scored no championship points.

Piper was injured during the filming of the film "Le Mans" and lost part of one leg. He continues to race his green Porsche 917 and other cars in historic events.

Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Re: David Piper's 917?

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Hey!I sat in his 917 and saw how a Checkers shopping bag almost got sucked into the fan :shock:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Hey Blitz, still not paying attention to class? Advertising on the site is restricted, you are supposed to say:
Hey!I sat in his 917 and saw how a shopping bag from a well known South African retail store almost got sucked into the fan

:twisted:

He he he, just pulling your leg! :wink: Tell us more about the 917 and PICS PICS PICS please!
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Sadly, I only have unclear cellphone pics :cry:

The car was in the pit garage and after telling him (David Piper) an emotional story of how I dreamed of sitting in this car since I was a kid, he let me jump in...

All I can say is that it would be scary to drive that thing at the reputed 350km/h + :shock: Legend has it that the chassis used to flex so much that when the driver used to reach for the gearlever, it wasn't there. Didn't get a chance to ask David Piper if there was any truth in that :mrgreen:

That car was mean, it hurt the competition (Ferrari guys) to such an extent, that they tried to ban it :roll:

400 Km/h back in the '60s and '70s was unheard of...But there was a sting in the tail..At the 1969 Nine Hour at Kyalami, there was a huge cloudburst and the track was one big lake of water. The Renault Dauphine raced by Geoff Mortimer (I think) ran circles around the 917 as they were using like Quarter Throttle...

After the track dried out, the 917 ruled supreme again :drunks:

German Technology for you :finger4u:
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Thanks for the story! (If I ever meet the Hoff, he's gonna hear another emotional story about the dreams of a young Pine to sit in KITT :wink: )

So what about the car on the trailer? Is it a replica, and if so what engine will it have? Did original 917s have steel bodies?
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Blitzkrieg »

The replicas that are being built by Peter Bailey (Watch this week's CarTorque) use a Porsche Flat Six engine.The Ferrari P4 replicas being built by the same company use a BMW V12 or Ferrari 400I engine :shock:

These "replicas" are being built to exact original specification...The 917 costs close to a Million Bucks :shock: :shock:

Ordinary people like pine and blitz will never be able to afford them :(