Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
dubster
Valve
What model do you have?: buggy and '74 beetle

Re: Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Post by dubster »

Hey bratjie

When do we get some updates you speaking if dynoing in other threads but nothing happening here??? :wink:

1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

''BLOOD AND TEARS WILL FLOW FOR ACVW'S,FOR LIFE''
Bratjie
Valve
What model do you have?: 74
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juan.buter
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

dubster wrote:Hey bratjie

When do we get some updates you speaking if dynoing in other threads but nothing happening here??? :wink:
Hi Dub, yes I'm sorry but was planning to get her going and then a full update with pic's and spec's and so on, would be nice to have a full update once all problems were sorted and then just updating the build, busy putting the motor back together after we snapped the cam gear off,

Updates coming soon :hangloose:
Esté robusto, ser fuerte!!!!

73 Beetle project
74 Beetle 2.1 WBX Turbo'ed & chargecooled
1959 Karmann Ghia Lefty, soon to be turbo'ed and chargecooled
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Just a short update, we eventually fitted the engine with the T3 Super 60 turbo, it was pulling well but only from about 4000 rpm, way too late for what we had in mind. Eventually found a T25 Garret with a .48 compressor and .47 turbine a/r's, still maybe not the the best combination but a nice difference in power, nice boost from about 2800rpm and will keep boosting to about 5800 rpm, sometimes boosting 1 bar but trying to keep it at .8 bar,

I might have overheated her a bit on the highway pulling away from a Renault cause I kept her at 1 bar boost for about 1.5km's, still haven't modified the rear engine plates so I guess a lot of heat was finding it's way back into the eng compartment, anyway, she's breathing heavily ( can see it from the breather hose at the oil filler) now and sometimes pushes oil past the crank pulley and falling right on top of the exhaust :roll: , now it sometimes looks like she's on fire after a few good boosts :bn: , also the clutch loses grip at about 1bar boost and 6000 rpm in 3rd & 4th gears.

We took it to the dyno shootout just for fun and she kicked a nice mild 71Kw and 118Nm, we had a lot of fun trying to convince the people that it was a standard 1600 aircooled with a turbo, so we had to show and tell, really amazing what people say before and after we put the bug on the dyno,

We'll be taking out the engine this weekend to see if maybe some rings collapsed causing the excessive breathing, if so I'll fit new rings and set the boost controller tp .8bar max and will definately never keep boosting for such a long distance with out complete engine plates on a hot day.

This morning was cool though :hangloose: , air temp was nice and cool and I could boost at anytime without heatsoak, eventually hooked a City Golf that was a bit "windgat" after checkeing my bug out "skeef", so I took him and he eventually backed down, propably thinking that there must be some waterpumper on steroids in there :hangloose: I will load a media clip and some videos soon as I figure them out,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

73 Beetle project
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

A few vid's hopu can watch em :hangloose:

73 Beetle project
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Yip Boost is addictive :lol: :lol:

Have you got Propper Breathing on the Motor
I use 13mm ID hose
Each tappetcover must get a breather hose
The top of the Engine casing must get a 13mm breather pipe and the 3 go in to a nice breather box and from the breather box you take a 13mm pipe to between the Airfilter and the intake of the Turbo so the Turbo takes the Positive sump compression and suck a Vacuum in the Casing that prevent lots of breathing problems under boost
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Golfmad
Valve
What model do you have?: niks

Post by Golfmad »

Nice ride man !!! But, not to sound strange, but it should do much more than 71 kw at 1 bar boost.... what dyno did you test it on?
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

Great wotk you done, but....... :zhelp:
I hope my advice is taken as exacly that, so here goes ........

1 BAR BOOST on stock pistons :shock: a recipe for disaster, even with higher fuel rating, it's a no no. Heat is a aircooled biggest enemy, combined with a stock crank Reving over 5000 RPM under boost ??? and no oil filtration ??
Sorry to burst you bubble but this is a GRANADE motor, it is going to go off, and leave you disapointed, in no time.
Get the boost down to 0,6 bar, max, on stock pistons, get the cooling sorted, ie. oil cooing, induction cooling and a CW crank, oil filter, then you will have something that will last more than a few happy runs, fit a sand seal, and a breather, a good one.

The way I see it, there should be no half measures, if you do it, do it right first time round, you have already invested huge sums of money to just be experimenting.
My 50c worth
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
vuyo
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: beetle
Facebook: vuyo dube

Post by vuyo »

i likes and it sounds grate
1Bar i dont know
i was boosting 0.5 in my bug without lowering compression
i got that advice from
Impi
Bugger
4age told me to boost 0.3
1 bar ?
aslong as you having fun :hangloose: :D
60s look 74 beetle
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Thx's for all the advise guy's, really appreciate it,

Bugger, what type of breathing system you have in mind, scuze my frankness but would like to see something I can work on, I still think I cooked the rings on that 1.5 km run at high boost, this weekend will tell after I take the sleeves & pistons off, I ran her for short bursts at that boost for a few weeks but she only started breathing after "THAT" run on the highway I'll take a clip to show the severity ( maybe normal but just my gut feeling - blowby of some sorts)of the breathing from the breather pipe.

Golfmad, don't know what type of dyno machine, but had it at Autorosen's dyno ( Maurice Rosenberg - certainly knows his stuff) for half a day to get A/F ratio's correct for mild power, also the clutch is slipping so we're not getting full potential out of her, and it was on a Dyno shootout day, so the figures might be a little off( if you know what I mean?) a lot of hype went around when the oke's saw the Beetle going on the dyno, so who knows?

Calooker Thx's mate, I know I can take your word anytime, if she explodes, so be it, this was exactly the intention from the start, to build it ( with a little help from my friends - to quote the song :lol: ) if she breaks I want to investigate and experiment why and how, I'm sure you understand? It's a very far cry from having someone build you a fast car ( not quted fron Tracy Chapman :lol: ) and drive it like you built it yourself, I actually like the pains of growing into this, my bug's my passion! When people stop me and want to have a look and a chat, I'll be proud to admitt failures and successes, I have somewhat covered many bases if you go back and look at what was done and put into the engine thus far, so what the hell, let's all see what happens, sometimes you need one fool to cross the river the wrong way round so other's may see how NOT to do it :TIC: , I'm very much exhausted by this experiment and once the time comes believe me your good advise will be foremost on my mind, thx'z buddy :D

Vuyo thx's for the compliment bud, remember my CR is only about 6.5:1 and should be able to handle 1 bar ( stock is 7.5:1 )
You talking about the waterpumper you had in the bug?
What power were you making at .5 bar and what rpm's, could be usefull info to me as I plan to take out the spacers between the sleeves and heads and run much lower boost, there would be a huge difference in the demograpic's and spec's between an A/c and a waterpumper.

BTW, put a tank of unleaded in today, if not my imagination the engine was a tad cooler to the touch.

Did anybody see the boost guage in the clip's?

Thought so :D

Just kidding, will update again later, and will certainly depend on you for info and tip's, ( round of applause to all interested and following this build so far) you're too kind :cry: ( Bratjie wiping his eye's)
Keep it safe and rock it in Boston!

73 Beetle project
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

I cant see the clips but from the beginning Ive been waiting and watching for the clip that goes BOOOM in the end... :D This thread is like watching topgear waiting for a caravan to blow up...
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
vuyo
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: beetle
Facebook: vuyo dube

Post by vuyo »

vader wrote:I cant see the clips but from the beginning Ive been waiting and watching for the clip that goes BOOOM in the end... :D This thread is like watching topgear waiting for a caravan to blow up...
be good Vader let the guy have some fun :D
60s look 74 beetle
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Bratjie wrote:Thx's for all the advise guy's, really appreciate it,

Bugger, what type of breathing system you have in mind, scuze my frankness but would like to see something I can work on, I still think I cooked the rings on that 1.5 km run at high boost, this weekend will tell after I take the sleeves & pistons off, I ran her for short bursts at that boost for a few weeks but she only started breathing after "THAT" run on the highway I'll take a clip to show the severity ( maybe normal but just my gut feeling - blowby of some sorts)of the breathing from the breather pipe.

n!
You welcome to give me a call and I can Explain to you how I done my 2.4s breathing
Hopefully you did not damage something more than just the rings
Taking up the CR and keeping the boost slight lower will help with "drive ability " Eg 6;1 and 1Bar is similar as 7;1 and 0.7bar boost as the CR is lower and boost higher then all of a sudden the Bug pulls hard
Where with slight higher CR boost comes in slight Quicker as you got more Flow through the turbo and that is where I mean it help with "drive ability" and not that all off a sudden Boost where on Higher CR boost comes more Gradually You know what I mean
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

vuyo wrote:
vader wrote:I cant see the clips but from the beginning Ive been waiting and watching for the clip that goes BOOOM in the end... :D This thread is like watching topgear waiting for a caravan to blow up...
be good Vader let the guy have some fun :D
No need to defend Vuyo, but thx's all the same, it's actually quite predictable, I'm not easily deterred by silly comments, this thread started just under a year ago and I think I did good so far, some oke's takes 2 years to do this taking into account, a garage build with no knowledge of Turbo's to begin with, just sheer determination, at least I have the gut's to attempt, experiment and share with the world, successes and failures alike so others can also learn, I bet a lot of dude's were watching and waiting for the big BOOOM :finger4u: , but maybe if they wait and watch enough that BOOOM might just come to the back of their helmets, now that's a clip ( fortunately I CAN watch clip's ) I'd be wanting to see ( no pun intended ) :lol: :lol: ,

I'm just thankfull to all the guy's that chipped in with really good advice ( they know who they are ) and I say, to all the jokers and hypocrytes out there - go catch a big fat spaced out :jerkoff: ,
Let's keep watching and waiting :TIC: , I'm reporting for those interested out there and when she goes BOOOM, then that's it, we'll all know why and how NOT to do it :D

I'm gonna go blow up a caravan right now and then I'll come back posting stuff :D
Last edited by Bratjie on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

73 Beetle project
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Bugger wrote:
Bratjie wrote:Thx's for all the advise guy's, really appreciate it,

n!
You welcome to give me a call and I can Explain to you how I done my 2.4s breathing
Hopefully you did not damage something more than just the rings
Taking up the CR and keeping the boost slight lower will help with "drive ability " Eg 6;1 and 1Bar is similar as 7;1 and 0.7bar boost as the CR is lower and boost higher then all of a sudden the Bug pulls hard
Where with slight higher CR boost comes in slight Quicker as you got more Flow through the turbo and that is where I mean it help with "drive ability" and not that all off a sudden Boost where on Higher CR boost comes more Gradually You know what I mean
Thx's Bugger, I'll be stripping the engine down anyway just because I'm curious too see what the condition is like inside, I've been driving her like a driven mule and so far no other complications, just compliments and drop jaw syndrome :lol: , I will call you when it's re-assembled, I have some ideas about the breathing system and will increase the CR just to see how she performs.

Thx's for the advise so far, :hangloose:

73 Beetle project
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Finally I was able to watch the clips....
Very impressive, it doesn't sound like the motor has undue stress, and I love the noise on gear changes...
So keep up the good work....

71Kw is really impressive when you think std is only 33Kw so more than double the power is Awesome....
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.