My speedster is not sitting well...help

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Re: My speedster is not sitting well...help

Post by MINCE »

Dude. I am certain that all of us are not here to rip you a 'new one' over your wheels choice.
By the flare on your wheel arches, I can see it was what you were intending.

Is there room for installing shortened swingarms in the back?

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
sdudum
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 356; Beetle
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

So, bearing in mind that I bought the car with the arches and the wheels. So i took over an unfinished project. Not that I am running away from my responsibility in the build, I liked it when I bought it. The wheels are destined to go anyways, I am just concerned with finding a permanent solution to the stance issue, whether it be on 17s or 15s...The discussion about the 15" wheels is taken on-board,no argument there.

The engine and gearbox lift...what does that take, cost wise ?
I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

I've been quoted R2500 to do the lift and that includes two new custom engine mounts. The price includes the rear frame rail plate that lifts the mounting points of the gearbox (in my case, 2 inches). a new cross member for the front of the gearbox as well as having the shifter rod moved to the top of the tunnel for that vintage racer look. Plus also moving the handbrake lever to under the dash. So not a bad price.

I seriously wish you luck with your ride, drive it like it is for a while and enjoy it while making plans along the way as to what you want to do. The more quality speedsters on the road............the better. SO if you need any advice, ask the crowd in here.
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

I think the reason it's sitting so high is due to the coil overs, you have 2 options to get the back down, dump the coil overs and fit stock shocks, or cut 2 coils off the spring, done this before, sure helped. Hope you come right.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
sdudum
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

flatfourfan wrote:I've been quoted R2500 to do the lift and that includes two new custom engine mounts. The price includes the rear frame rail plate that lifts the mounting points of the gearbox (in my case, 2 inches). a new cross member for the front of the gearbox as well as having the shifter rod moved to the top of the tunnel for that vintage racer look. Plus also moving the handbrake lever to under the dash. So not a bad price.

I seriously wish you luck with your ride, drive it like it is for a while and enjoy it while making plans along the way as to what you want to do. The more quality speedsters on the road............the better. SO if you need any advice, ask the crowd in here.
Hijacking my own thread....those that own replicar speedsters...where dis you have it insured ? How much roughly and process ?
I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
sdudum
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

calooker wrote:I think the reason it's sitting so high is due to the coil overs, you have 2 options to get the back down, dump the coil overs and fit stock shocks, or cut 2 coils off the spring, done this before, sure helped. Hope you come right.
hhhmmm, I like this idea, just one silly question....will I not get myself into a situation where the shock is bottoming out if I cut the coils....?
sdudum
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by sdudum »

flatfourfan wrote:Hmmm, common issue with our local speedsters as we don't have IRS. You can clock down the rear suspension and face a bit of negative camber or do it the proper way..........gearbox lift, which will lift the engine up and allow you to get the arse way down. I have the same issue on my speedster, I want the back down about another 50mm or 2 inches.

Plus I say this in a really nice way, those rims need to come off.

Big wheels are do-able, but it's also going to have that hunched look about it. And honestly.........it stil looks crap.

Best stance by a long shot IMHO.

FFF, what size rims are you running and what are those called ? Where would I get them if I wanted to buy that type...
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

sdudum wrote:
calooker wrote:I think the reason it's sitting so high is due to the coil overs, you have 2 options to get the back down, dump the coil overs and fit stock shocks, or cut 2 coils off the spring, done this before, sure helped. Hope you come right.
hhhmmm, I like this idea, just one silly question....will I not get myself into a situation where the shock is bottoming out if I cut the coils....?
Never. The bump stops are there to prevent that from happening.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

The rims on my car are mangles wheels. Pretty much an exact copy of the 356 wheels. Damn hard to find a set nowadays though. They stopped making them in the 90's, but I can't see why replicars in jhb wouldn't still sell them as they advertise them.
marcel
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970

Post by marcel »

i have 18"s on my speedster and it sits the way a porsche should sit
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

^^^....like a donk?
marcel
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970

Post by marcel »

My speedster 9112.2 turbo twin spark motor, 280mm all round disks brakes, 18"s wheels.
Now if i could only get it to run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

all depends on the look that you're going for. In your case, the more modern look can work with big wheels. I still seriously rate your car marcel.......really fresh take on a speedster.

You need to really update your old thread boet....aint heard anything from you in ages.
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Post by beetlepower »

Is the suspension issue not caused by the fact that the Speedster body is quite a bit lighter than the original Beetle body that the chassis was designed for?
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

beetlepower wrote:Is the suspension issue not caused by the fact that the Speedster body is quite a bit lighter than the original Beetle body that the chassis was designed for?
bingo..........that's also why stock beetle shocks on a speedster make the car feel like it's rock solid with no give. Total weight on a speedster is around 750kgs.