'63 looker... :)

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
1964type1
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1964 type 1

Re: '63 looker... :)

Post by 1964type1 »

davetapson wrote:Out of interest, here is the break down of the CB 2110 kit, priced if you were to buy the parts individually. The next step, for me, is to modify the kit to what I think may suit me better and see what the price is like then.

There is a saving of $680 if you buy the kit, so I suspect it may not pay to change to lower spec components as it would end up costing about the same, but without top spec components.
I see where you are coming from Dave, but CB aren't the only guys who make quality parts and as Tony said you will get quite a shock when you see the shipping charges. I tell you what. E-mail me the list of parts you want and I will get a quote in S.A to compare.

I am with Tony in saying that if you want to go so radical in the build as per the sheet, why not go up to at least 2276 like me? The bigger the engine the more torque you will have even with a Hot street cam and roundport heads. BTW i don't think the bottom end torque of the engine will be helped by a wedgeport head design

davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Post by davetapson »

1964type1 wrote:I am with Tony in saying that if you want to go so radical in the build as per the sheet, why not go up to at least 2276 like me? The bigger the engine the more torque you will have even with a Hot street cam and roundport heads. BTW i don't think the bottom end torque of the engine will be helped by a wedgeport head design
No, I agree with you regarding the heads. The others you mentioned a post or two back were definitely a better option for my purposes.

What are the main specs of your build Brandt? Also, please remind me what model the EMPI carbs you mentioned were.

General question for the peeps: What would you pay for a pair of Dellorto DLRA 40's in good nick?
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

davetapson wrote:
1964type1 wrote:
General question for the peeps: What would you pay for a pair of Dellorto DLRA 40's in good nick?
I challenge you to find a set
1964type1
Oil Leak

Post by 1964type1 »

davetapson wrote:
1964type1 wrote:I am with Tony in saying that if you want to go so radical in the build as per the sheet, why not go up to at least 2276 like me? The bigger the engine the more torque you will have even with a Hot street cam and roundport heads. BTW i don't think the bottom end torque of the engine will be helped by a wedgeport head design
No, I agree with you regarding the heads. The others you mentioned a post or two back were definitely a better option for my purposes.

What are the main specs of your build Brandt? Also, please remind me what model the EMPI carbs you mentioned were.

Car:
1964 beetle (type1) Found out it is actually a '63 sold to Dave
Stripped out.
Changed to 550 Replica

Interior:
Rollcage TNT built bolt in to MSA spec (For sale)
Two SQP reclining buckets. (Might go with body/ pan pending Dave's decision otherwise for sale)
Autometer Ultra lite Oil pressure guage and sender
Autometer Ultra lite Oil Temperature guage and sender
Autometer 5" Tachometer

Chassis:
All round disk brakes from Volkspares(GolfII GTi),
Rear camber compensator(For Sale),
Front EMPI anti roll bar 3/4" with urethane bushes(For sale)
Engine brace Kit(For sale)
Porsche Fuchs 15" Alloys shod with Michellin exalto

Gearbox:
Custom built by Volkspares with welded and keyed gears as well as superdiff(Diff swinged for mid engined 550)
Short shifter(For sale)

Engine:
Autolinea Bubble case opened and clearanced
CB Performance wedgeport heads
94mm P&C's from Mahle
82mm EMPI chromoly CW crankshaft
EMPI H-Beam rods with ARP2000 bolts
Engle W130 Camshaft
Straight cut cam gears(I like the noise)
EMPI high perf followers
EMPI HPMX44 Carbs, cleaned and float levels set/ maybe changing to throttle bodies and fuel injectors
Scat Chromoly pushrods
Scat 1.25:1 ratio rockers
Extremely light 3.5KG flywheel
36Hp fanshroud without heating ducts
Welded + balanced Fan
All associated tinware and alternator.
72Plate external cooler with fan
All balanced and triple checked

Ignition:
I am going with GOTECH ProX, 60-2 with hall effect sender and coilpack
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Tony Z wrote: I challenge you to find a set
Just got a matched pair of 40's on eBay. R2600.
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Local? Make sure they are downdrafts, cause Dellorto sidies are popular in SA, not so much the Downdrafts.
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Tony Z wrote:Local? Make sure they are downdrafts, cause Dellorto sidies are popular in SA, not so much the Downdrafts.
UK. They are downdrafts.

1964Type1 wrote: Engine:
Autolinea Bubble case opened and clearanced
CB Performance wedgeport heads
94mm P&C's from Mahle
That's a pretty hectic build - I'd be a bit uncomfortable with something as wild as that as a daily driver. I've been bitten before by performance oriented set ups, and am going to run cautious this time. There may be some value in thinking 94 x 82 in mild tune, but I figure that 94 x 82 takes the most cutting and clearancing and that has to have 'some' effect on case longevity.

And I'm not sure my 40's will be able to deal with the extra cc's. I spoke to a couple of people about carbs for a 2110 and was told that I would need 38mm venturies. The 40's can handle that, but i suspect I'd need 44's for the bigger engine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

40s for a mild 2110 will be fine. Get them with 30 or 32mm vents and you should have no issues.
38mm is for full power applications. Heck, the 48IDFs come standard with 40mm vents.

A 2110 wil run cooler than the 2275 purely because of the bigger cooling fins area. For longevity, its a good option.
1964type1
Oil Leak

Post by 1964type1 »

Hi Dave,

Congrats on finding the carbs. All you need to find now is a pair of manifolds, a rebuild kit, linkage and a few other odds and ends.

I know there are people who knock the HPMX carbs but here is a testimonial by Jake Raby, one of the most respected engine builders in the USA. All carbs need adjustment and cleaning when new.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363989

Incidently you want the venturis to be about 4-6mm smaller than the intake valves on a mild build and about 2mm smaller on a hot build. FYI 40 dells/webers/hpmx will not flow as much air as 44's regardless of venturi size just as 44's will not flow as much as 48's
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

1964type1 wrote:Hi Dave,

Congrats on finding the carbs. All you need to find now is a pair of manifolds, a rebuild kit, linkage and a few other odds and ends.

Incidently you want the venturis to be about 4-6mm smaller than the intake valves on a mild build and about 2mm smaller on a hot build. FYI 40 dells/webers/hpmx will not flow as much air as 44's regardless of venturi size just as 44's will not flow as much as 48's
:lol: Maybe I'll just get a linkage, some manifolds, TP heads and bung 'em on the 1300 :D

Have just re-read my mails from the dellorto dude in the uk and he actually said 34mm vents.

1964type1
Oil Leak

Post by 1964type1 »

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, I didn't mean to :oops:

There are pitfalls in buying second hand carbs. Linkage, rebuild, kits and manifolds may be hard to find in S.A and what seems a bargain now might become a nightmare later on :wink: .
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Ah - I get you now - I thought you meant the engine rebuild kit - not the carb rebuild kit! :lol:

I had a scoot around on the net before I bid on the carbs and it seems that rebuild kits are easily available overseas... the only real issue I see is in having a range of jets avl for jetting it properly. But once the carbs are rebuilt and jetted, they'll probably be fine for the life of the motor.

At the back of my mind is the fact that I'm sure I can sell them on for what I paid for them or more...

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Those carbs will be well fine then. You can prob budget on another R1500 to 2K for linkage manifolds and filters.
If you dont want them anymore, I know someone who wants a set of 40s. Heck, me too if there are 2 sets floating around.

We will be doing a baby chicken night sometime soon in JHB area... you should make a turn too. Aug sometime.
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

1964type1 wrote: Incidently you want the venturis to be about 4-6mm smaller than the intake valves on a mild build and about 2mm smaller on a hot build. FYI 40 dells/webers/hpmx will not flow as much air as 44's regardless of venturi size just as 44's will not flow as much as 48's
Brandt - those Los Panchito's you pointed out earlier have inlet ports of 40mm - sounds like running these 40's with 34mm vents might just do the job nicely.

As a matter of interest, anyone know off the top of their heads what the std inlet valve of a 1600 TP is?

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

normally I can answer that in a heardbeat.... but not today.
Either 35mm or 33mm.

The venturi to valve size is a guidline. If you have mild engine with small ports and huge valves, then it will be closer to 10mm smaller.... guideline remember.