'63 looker... :)

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Re: '63 looker... :)

Post by davetapson »

Well, me carbs have arrived from the UK courtesy of a kind friend... :hangloose: :hangloose:

The one looks like you'd imagine a 20yo carb would look like (in good nick tho') - the other one looks like it came out of the box yesterday... would love to know the story of how that happened. They were out of an alphasud apparently. Can't post any decent photo's as camera got left at Ferdi's and I haven't got round to going and fetching it yet.

Looks like the slab is on the cards as well, courtesy of my brother-in-law... looks like I may be back on track before too long :hangloose:

My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Come on Dave, what to see the work starting :shock: Would be great to see Bobbie and Penelope together...both being '63's
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Well, me slab is down, finally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

What I have to work with...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Dell'Orto gorgeousness...

davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Does it annoy anyone else that you have to add pics in reverse order for them to come out in the right order? (Not that I did that, but will next time...)

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

davetapson wrote:Does it annoy anyone else that you have to add pics in reverse order for them to come out in the right order? (Not that I did that, but will next time...)

After uploading the picture, click the "place inline" button. You then get a link in your post to that picture. Moving this link changes where you picture shows itself.
1964type1
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1964 type 1

Post by 1964type1 »

Good going Dave,

Must admit it makes me sad to see Penelope in that state but it would have been much worse had she gone to someone who didn't care. After having seen what you did with the canoe I just know she will be a stunner when your done :hangloose:
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Never knew the Alfa Suds had 40`s on
Here in SA they all were 36`s
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Farhaad
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: memories

Post by Farhaad »

hi
did all '66 come with the shorter bonnet trim and badge, or was it an option?

thanx
Farhaad
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: memories

Post by Farhaad »

i think i might be looking at the '63
???
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

63, badge and shorter trim, 66, longer bonnet trim, no badge.
1964type1
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1964 type 1

Post by 1964type1 »

I think both are 63's as the yellow one used to be mine and I still had the original booklet which stated it was sold by Dornat Motors in December 1963. Paperwork confirmed the car was registered on 1st or 2nd(memory not computing too well) January 1964
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

I think someone mentioned further back in this thread that the '66 came out with some '65 parts on - the badge etc. Apparently this was a VW practice - they used up all the old parts at model change over time, so that the first cars of a new model may have parts off the previous model run.

I'm no expert on this tho.

davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Right - been working on the '63.

Running boards off - channels are not too rusty.
Tar board off passenger side front - not too bad.
Tar board off driver side front - not too bad.
Passenger side footwell... FIBREGLASS!! AAAAARRG. Strip it off - yep, can see the carport floor through the footwell.
Driver side rear footwell... pretty rusted as well - which you expect with the battery - but not as bad as the other side.
Stripped out the carpets:
Dogbox in good shape - although the sill has some rust.
Windows out - managed not to break any which is good - can't believe how small the windscreen is.
Stipped out upholstery and head lining.

The door posts are more rusted than I expected - I gave them a poke when I originally went to have a look at the body, but they don't seem too bad. The heater channels haven't rusted through, but who knows what they are like inside. Anyone got suggestions on how to protect them?

Photo's to follow.