1978 Baywindow Project (Picture heavy)

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
brucet
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: '78 2.0 Executive

Re: 1978 Baywindow Project (Picture heavy)

Post by brucet »

Not much to report back this weekend as I dropped the bus off yesterday for a complete mechanical checkup.

So I started working on the replacement dash that I purchased. Plan is to restore it completely. I also purchased a radio (modern one) and speakers which I will be fitting as soon as I get the kombi back. Any suggestions on where to fit the front speakers?

Work in progress. Plastic has been coated to soften up the plastic. Will not be that shiney once cleaned off.some holes also need to be welded closed.

brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

So the Bay (still to be named) is currently in getting a checkup.
So the entire front suspension is getting reconditioned (ball joints, center pin, tie rods etc), new brakes at the back, bearings, brake hoses are all being replaced as well as the brake fluid, carbs are getting completely reconditioned and the list goes on and on.......oh and I will be eating bread and butter for the next 3 to 6 months. :lol:

Motor also has to come out at some stage as the main engine seal is leaking.........and apparently the engine seals are not the correct ones as they are flammable... :hangloose:

I cant wait to get it back :lol:
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

HI BRUCET.

OUR FRONT SPEAKERS ARE ALL MOUNTED ON THE DOOR PANELS TOWARD THE BOTTOM. YOU JUST HAVE TO LINE YOUR HOLES UP WITH THE GAPS IN THE ACTUAL DOOR ITSELF. FROM A SOUND PERPECTIVE IT SEEMS TO BE THE RIGHT PLACE. WE MOUNT OUR TWEETERS IN THE CENTER OF THE DASH ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ASHTRAY.
I HAVE SEEN SPEAKERS MOUNTED ON THE FRONT KICKBOARDS BUT I THINK THERE IS MORE CHANCE OF THEM GETTING DAMAGED THERE. THE SOUND IS ALSO TOO DIRECT FOR US.
OUR BACK SPEAKERS, AMP AND SUB ARE ALL INSTALLED IN THE BOX FRAME FOR THE ROCK 'N ROLL BED. SAFE, SECURE AND THE BOX CREATES A NICE FULL SOUND. ON THE FIRST SUB WE CUT OUT A LARGE HOLE AND FITTED A GRID OVER THE FRONT.....SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME BUT THE SUB IS MORE LIKELY TO GET DAMAGED BECAUSE IT IS WHERE YOUR FEET ARE. FROM THE NEXT ONE WE JUST DRILLED MULTIPLE HOLES IN THE BOARD DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF WHERE THE SUB WAS GOING TO BE INSTALLED. SUB NOW COMPLETELY SAFE, SOUND PERFECT AND BECAUSE YOU CAN CARPET DIRECTLY OVER THE FRONT OF THE BOARD; NOBODY EVEN KNOWS IT'S THERE, REDUCING THE CHANCE OF THEFT.

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BUS IS COMING ON AT A RAPID RATE. I'M SURE YOU'LL LOVE IT AS MUCH AS WE LOVE OURS.

CHEERS

MARK
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you very much Mark.
Where do you run the power for the amp and radio from?
Thank you again
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

THE POWER FOR THE RADIO WE TAKE FROM THE FUSE BOX IN THE FRONT AS IT IS ALREADY POWERED THERE. YOU SHOULD (MUST) FIT AN IN-LINE FUSE.
THE POWER FOR THE AMP WE RUN DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY WITH A VERY THICK POSITIVE (RED) WIRE. (COLOUR OBVIOUSLY NOT CRITICAL BUT HELPS TO DISTINGUISH THAT IT'S A POSITIVE) . IT'S A 4 GUAGE WIRE.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO PUT IN A REASONABLE AMP AND SUB YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A CAPACITOR. WE RUN A 3 FARAD CAPACITOR IN CYNDI'S BUS. IT HELPS TO BOOST THE POWER DRAWN FROM THE BATTERY WHEN YOUR SYSTEM NEEDS LARGER BURSTS OF INSTANT POWER, LIKE WHEN THERE'S A HEAVY BASS BEAT. IT WILL HELP STOP YOUR LIGHTS DIMMING ETC...
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you Mark.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Bruce, here's mine.

Cheers

Al
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Very nice Al. I almost bought a double din but decided against it now I'm wondering if I made the right choice! 😂

This is my current project.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

That will look nice for sure..
I bought this because its also got a free GPS system and can play DVD's etc, also supports mem sticks etc, and I have all the cameras also plugged in, eg: Reverse cam and an engine camera. It's a trick bit of kit. Certainly not original, but what I wanted.

Keep going, yours is going to be rock solid when it's finished, and you're gonna be rock-broke. lol.

Alan
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Hehe thank you.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

This weekend I started with the door panels. Replacing the Wood and although the vinyl is not is great condition it will do for now. Also finished the dash. Oh and btw don't use contact adhesive to do this if you ever want to do it. It seems to have reacted with the vinyl a little .

Last edited by brucet on Sun May 21, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

looking great man :)
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Well who ever worked on this bus previously has no clue what they are doing. There are many perished rubber pipes, connectors and some even held in place with cable ties and yet from what I understand the engine was rebuilt a little over a year ago at a cost of close to R30k. The front brake pads were held in with wire and the rattle clips were also replaced with wire!
All these items probably saved a few hundred rand at most!

I have also found that the rear stub axle and bearings also need to be replaced so if anyone knows where i can get a stub axle please let me know.

Last edited by brucet on Sun May 28, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

After an extensive search from all the usual places I was very fortunate that a friend came to my rescue and had the parts I needed on an old scrap bus. So after a bit of elbow grease I have them removed and ready to be fitted. :hangloose:

Next weekend we can finally get to go for a decent drive in the old girl! Can't wait!
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

New bearings, brakes, brake hoses, tie rod ends, pivot axle, ball joints, reconditioned the carbs, set the tappets, and a bunch of other small things have been done.....still a very long list of items to do but at least I can now safely drive her around without worrying about being blown off of the road or not being able to stop.

Sunday will be our first long drive if anyone would like to join us.......JHB to ??? (not sure yet)