Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Re: Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Post by slak »

Hi Bratjie
i don't see why u need a oil pump with filter if u have a full flow casing u only need in u'r
case the larger oil pump with the fullflow cover the oil cooler adapter sanwich is fitted in between
the oil filter housing and oil filter which lets the oil go to the cooler but u have a full flow system
so u don't need that either the extra sump IMHO is a must to have enough oil on hand to cool
and for the rest of the system

U Only Live Once Right !!!
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

The reason that turbo drains need to be higher than the level of oil in the sump is the fact that as the turbo spins it actually aerates the oil feeding it and there is a froth coming out at the discharge end this is the reason the feed has to be 1mm and the outlet 20mm plus. because of this froth struggling to displace oil in the crankase it is therefore desirable to have it exit above mean oil level. Porsche had the same problem with the 924 turbo with regards to drains so they simply put a tee piece in the return line which was connected to the highest part of the engine (the tappet cover) this allowed the return oil to expand and the consolidated oil to drain to the sump on a beetle this t could be connected to either the oil filler or an external breather box. I am not to wild about attaching a source of hot oil to the tappet cover I would like them to act as heat sinks drawing oil away. My 411 turbo had the drain coming from underneath the sump exiting level with the oil leve of the engine and that worked extremely well.
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Is this motor going in a Beetle or in a Buggy

Have you built the Exhaust system already ? if not try and locate your turbo Gearbox side and Forward motion will also help the Turbo Drain Back to the Motor on Acceleration
and boost pipes will be shorter to the Intercooler(Personaly I will go Charge cooler) but intercooler is better than nothing

Charge coolers I think I paid R1500 from Turbo Toys last month for a Charge cooler

Oil Cooler Hunt the Scrap Yards for the Mercedes ones they are half the Size of a Rx 7 Oil cooler but 2 in Series will work wonderful
These oil coolers most of the older Mercs had then Right below the Radiator and you can Pick them Up for around R400@as mentioned thin and small and can fit above the Transmission with a Small scoop Plate to scoop air to them
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Bratjie
Valve
What model do you have?: 74
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juan.buter
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Bugger wrote:Is this motor going in a Beetle or in a Buggy

Have you built the Exhaust system already ? if not try and locate your turbo Gearbox side and Forward motion will also help the Turbo Drain Back to the Motor on Acceleration
and boost pipes will be shorter to the Intercooler(Personaly I will go Charge cooler) but intercooler is better than nothing

Charge coolers I think I paid R1500 from Turbo Toys last month for a Charge cooler

Oil Cooler Hunt the Scrap Yards for the Mercedes ones they are half the Size of a Rx 7 Oil cooler but 2 in Series will work wonderful
These oil coolers most of the older Mercs had then Right below the Radiator and you can Pick them Up for around R400@as mentioned thin and small and can fit above the Transmission with a Small scoop Plate to scoop air to them
Hi Bugger, it's going into a beetle, the one Iv'e had for about 15 years, so no real cutting on my body allowed, :)
The exhaust is a tuck away from Dave Rowley as in the pic,
The turbo will stay where it is, I will fit deep sump and external oil filter to cure drainage problem with a vent system someone mentioned in another post,
Found an intercooler from a Mazda rotary, just the right size to fit where I indicated in a previous post (see pic), found an oil cooler as in the pic, was told that the oil cooler and intercooler can be fitted one atop of the other, first oil cooler then intercooler with a suck fan and scoop to help with airflow,
Piping to fro is a trial and error and a mod I'll have to tackle once every thing has found it's place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esté robusto, ser fuerte!!!!

73 Beetle project
74 Beetle 2.1 WBX Turbo'ed & chargecooled
1959 Karmann Ghia Lefty, soon to be turbo'ed and chargecooled
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Tonight I set the rocker geometry, made an adjustable pushrod, cut the cromoly's and fitted the 1.25:1 rockers. Not such a bad task, cut them with a normal pipe cutter and deburred, valve sttings are swchweet with enough adjustment left on the adjusters to go up or down, I believe loose zero is the setting but I'm going for .02 lash untill she's run in and I add boost.
I'm going to run her in without the turbo so all the originals are going on like fuel pump, 34 PICT carb and the old freeflow exhaust untill I can buy the sump, intercooler and oil cooler next month, hopefully she'll cut her teeth before I add boost, hopefully she'll run sweet with a liittle extra power due to the headwork and rockers and all the balancing, new pistons & sleeves and so on.

Hopefully fitting engine and startup tomorrow morning, it's 11H37 and I'm talking too much again, rest of the car also needs to be cleaned up and refitted after the respray, so lotsa work left,
back to the garage for me :hangloose:

73 Beetle project
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

So, I put it all together and took her for a spin, she idles and rev's up very nicely but there's a lot of hesitation and misfiring when pulling off and accelerating, I tuned and played with timing and resetting the carb but she doesn't get any better so I left it to ponder about it some more, I think I may have a crappy carb ( old rebuilt) that does'nt want to play. Also thinking that I dropped the compression ratio to
(I guess about 6.9:1 ) so that could also be a big factor, I want to rebuild a good carb and try it on and see what happens. Sounds like she's either starving from fuel or overfuelling, lloks like some fuel is being sucked from the power pump nozzle when cracking her open,

Otherwise I'll jus wait to fit the inter and oil coolers and have a go at the turbo setup with the Dellorto.

Will keep you posted, anybody has some idea why she would perform so utterly sluggish?

73 Beetle project
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

Running a stock carb?
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

If it's only hesetating on acceleration then the pump jets might be too small
what are u'r jet sizes atm.
U Only Live Once Right !!!
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

calooker wrote:Running a stock carb?
Yes, running a stock carb just to run it in with, just did'nt expect power to be so weak, no idea what main jet size ( cant read the size), the power jet squirts a healthy jet of fuel down the throat, maybe I must just get the oil and intercoolers fitted and fit the turbo and DLRA CARB abd see what happens then,

73 Beetle project
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Bratjie wrote:
calooker wrote:Running a stock carb?
Yes, running a stock carb just to run it in with, just did'nt expect power to be so weak, no idea what main jet size ( cant read the size), the power jet squirts a healthy jet of fuel down the throat, maybe I must just get the oil and intercoolers fitted and fit the turbo and DLRA CARB abd see what happens then,

OK But you have not the Turbo in the mix

Check the Spray jet that it spray directly down out the bottom of the Carb when you crank it open by hand holding the Carb in your hand and adjust the spray jet according this will cause a big hesitation flat spot
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

That wasnt a thin line sump you had pictured... If I was you I woulldnt use a thin line sump, you want your oil to drain as low as possible. Thin line is only about 40mm deeper.
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

The CR will not cause the issues you are having, infact it's very close to the stock CR anyway. :zhelp:
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Thanks to all the guru's with the advice, Bugger you were right, power nozzle was spraying straight onto the butterfly, corrected that, was running on a 120 main jet, drilled it out to 145, now she's pulling strong without hesitation or misfiring, even slow 3rd and 4th has great accelleration, would hate to think what's going to happen when the turbo is fitted :shock: :wink:

Now I'll run her in for about another 1000km's and then she should be ready for the Turbo and all that goes with it, hopefully by next payday all should be fitted :hangloose: :hangloose:

I'm so happy right now :flash: :drunks: :hangloose: :flash: :drunks: :D

73 Beetle project
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Bratjie wrote: I'm so happy right now :flash: :drunks: :hangloose: :flash: :drunks: :D
Awesome!!!! Enjoy it over the weekend! :flash: :mrgreen: :flash: :flash: :flash:
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Can someone give me some cold hard suggestions please? :D

I'm going to cure the oil drain issue by lifting the turbo higher so I dont want the extra sump right now, I need to fit an external oilcooler and filter, what would be the easiest and cheapest route to do this? IOW two lines from the engine , one running to filter and cooler and the other back to the engine again without extra sumps, pumps, sandwiches, adaptors and other cocamamie add on's. :D

I want to get this thing airborne now :hangloose:

73 Beetle project