In the Blood

Fables and Facts from ACVW History
AirKool'd
Drip
What model do you have?: Mk4 Golf

In the Blood

Post by AirKool'd »

Volkswagen in the Blood.

I come from a long line of Volkswagen..sorry can't exactly say I was conceived in one - but I am sure you catch my gist.

My grandfather and his wife and 6 children embarked on a massive journey in 1961 travelling with all their posessions including a '59 Kombi from Stuttgart, West Germany to Hobart, Australia. They travelled for months by sea to Perth before driving across the Nullabor (LHD Kombi btw) and then across to Tasmania by ship again!

My father grew up around Volkswagen's. Apart from the '59 Kombi (which is still own by my uncle and is arguably one of the oldest originals "alive" in Australia), the family had a Type2 pick up, and then when my dad got his first wheels he bought a '59 Beetle. He later gave it to his younger sister as her first car and he bought a Type 3 Squareback brand new in 1973 costing him A$4300 (about a years teaching wage) at the time. He still had this when little me came along. He then acquired a Mk1 Volkswagen Golf GLD when my grandparents died. This car I grew up with! And it was this car that gave me an interest in Volkswagen and my German heritage. I learnt to drive in the little GLD and drove it as my first car as did my elder sister before me.

But I wanted to go back to my roots. My cousins was driving a Type 3 Square and I just knew I had to get myself my own aircooled vw. I looked around but gave up due to cost until a few months before I was getting married and we did not have wedding car. I could not resist the idea of using an old Beetle to arrive on the special day. So I went a looking.

________________________________________________________________________________
Watercooled Wheels:
'01 Mk4 Golf Estate
________________________________________________________________________________
Aircooled Wheels:
None! Please Help
AirKool'd
Drip

Re: In the Blood

Post by AirKool'd »

I was keen on the late '50s Beetles such as the one that my father had driven back in the 60s and I found a '58. I really only got a short turn with that car but it holds happy memories - I moved to South Africa and had to let my baby go early this year. Since I came here to SA I could not believe my eyes with Volkswagen everywhere - it is a lonely road in Aus as VW returned to full scale sales in 1995 since disappearing in the early 80s, but the aircooled scene is alive and making a huge comeback.

So for the moment I am driving the family estate (Mk4 Golf). But would love to find some aircooled wheels in the not to distant future. Does this site also cover early porsche? My dream car is a 356!

I have had other cars than Volkswagen (tried Mitsubishi, Subaru, Hyundai and Ford) but to be honest the nothing beats the sound of an aircooled motor *rat-a-tat-rat-a-tat* :D

A brief history or perhaps introduction but the plan is to stay in SA so I think a project vehicle is not to far around the corner. Keep you posted.

Cheers,

Hugh
Watercooled Wheels:
'01 Mk4 Golf Estate
Aircooled Wheels:
None! Please Help
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Welcome Hugh and I know that if it's a project car.....there will be many opportunities for you to get your teeth into!
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

Hugh,very cool story and I hope you enjoy SA.Are you here for work or pleasure?

There are a couple of early Porsches on the site and 1 or 2 356 replicas.
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
AirKool'd
Drip

Post by AirKool'd »

Chris,

I came for pleasure and have decided to stay - so I'll have to work. My wife has South African orgins and I am keen to see more of the African continent and SA is a good base.

Cheers,
Hugh
Watercooled Wheels:
'01 Mk4 Golf Estate
Aircooled Wheels:
None! Please Help
AirKool'd
Drip

Post by AirKool'd »

I forgot to mention

My mother drove a late 60s Beetle until my elder sister was born - she named it after star cricketer of the era, "Dennis Lillee" - because the car was white and fast. My uncle who now owns the '59 Kombi also has a '82 T2.5 (Wedge) Transporter. Another cousin of mine has Mk5 Golf, another a Mk2 Golf, another cousin was driving a Beetle for a number of years.

All I can say is: Keep the Volksies on the Roadies!

Cheers,
H
Watercooled Wheels:
'01 Mk4 Golf Estate
Aircooled Wheels:
None! Please Help