13%

Total votes: 30

Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Worth R60k???

Post by Chris »

:arrow:
Last edited by Chris on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Re: SC For Sale

Post by Pine »

Chris wrote: R60 0000.
Insane price... :?
dsan
Twin Port
What model do you have?: '59 bug, '76 SC proj

Post by dsan »

Is it?

I find the prices are going up, as is the value of the leftover stuff here. You can say one thing positive about the exporters, it has increased the value of the remaining stock as you just don't see them for sale anymore.
Daniel
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Post by MINCE »

60K for that is MADNESS!!!!

the other day a guy posted a '57 single cab that was in 5 times better condition than this for half the price!
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
dsan
Twin Port

Post by dsan »

If it's original with solid original panels and all the right bits, it's worth more than a restored SC with newer parts.

Granted the other SC was sexy as hell, and was priced way too cheap
Daniel
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Fcuking cheapskates!!!! :evil:

Don't you know what you're looking at??? :roll:

This is an ORIGINAL late 50s single cab. Original paint in that condition is worth SOOOOO much more than that naff two-tone green paintjob on the lowered 57 SC. You guys are like a bunch of chicks; can't see beyond a shiny paintjob.

Four five six guys. A split bus in much rustier condition than the Fleetline I sold dsan is worth R60k in the UK. This SC would sell in a few days for £10k in the UK. When are you people going to get that if you won't pay those prices the fcuking poms will. I'm sick and tired of all the whining about exporters when nobody on these forums is prepared to show up with the ca$h.

And most of you who whine that this is overpriced are driving some modern plastic piece of shit that costs you HOW MUCH every month? Why the fcuk are some people in SA prepared to pay hundreds of thousands for crap like Austin Healeys but this ORIGINAL condition SC is overpriced at R60k?!?! The seller has already dropped his price from R75k to keep it in the country, and you ungrateful skinflints still whinge about it. And I might add that this seller bought his buses from a commercial EXPORTER, which is the only reason they are still here to be offered for sale on these forums.

Much as I would like to, I unfortunately can't buy ALL the good buses that come up for sale. And since none of you cheapass mofos are going to buy it you can all kiss it goodbye until the new pommie owner comes on here to boast about the magazine spread on his "all original South African single cab".

Show up or shut up!!!

:jerkoff: :finger4u:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Excuse me dude. Not all of us drive new plastic cars. Not all of us have disposable income to spend on VW's that are over priced because of foreign markets. In my opinion, any VW over R20K is overpriced because of this. Let the pomms take it, at least they have the resources to make something great from it, instead of keeping it in this sh*thole where people butcher '57 SC's by putting hideous square lights on the back, like this one has.

It is hard for most of us to buy these cars because most of us can't afford to even stay in a flat with a garage, let alone off street parking. Not even enough to get your current shit box fixed (which was paid for in cash with the help of your parents) or serviced.

If I had money, I would have gotten my oval and maybe a few others, but I will still not call this a "bargain" Dropping the price to R60K to "keep it in the country" is bullcrap. It will most definitely go overseas, because no one can afford to by a car like that for R60K. My current car isn't even worth R25K! So take your comments back and rather aim them solely at the ones that do have the money and complain, instead of bringing in those who can do nothing but watch people screw us by charging those ridiculous prices and still say "i dropped the price...".
what-ever!
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

The registration plate says it all, NGG, the sound my teeth are making on my wrists :twisted: Where are all these beauties coming from now!! Everyone want some holiday money or what!.
Lets see, two 50's sc's and three Ovals in the space of a couple of weeks!!!
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

I am telling you now, these cars are easy money. Find a run down ACVW somewhere, no matter what condition, and then sell it at whatever price you want to. Sad sad sad
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Pine wrote:
Chris wrote: R60 0000.
Insane price... :?
That is my personal opinion, and NOTHING anyone says will change that :evil:

This ridiculous artificial inflation of prices for rust buckets place it out of reach of the general SA VW enthusiast who wants a sideline project to restore, and the exporters are simply rubbing our noses in it. Hands up, HOW many many Forum members can buy that s/c for that price - cash??
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

fig wrote:The seller has already dropped his price from R75k to keep it in the country,
OH the PATRIOTISM... it is bringing tears to my eyes
dsan
Twin Port

Post by dsan »

Where is NGG?
Daniel
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

dsan wrote:Where is NGG?
Anywhere in GP :?
Skymac
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: Bay window

Post by Skymac »

I need to add my 2 cents worth, I buy a car when I think it is really nice, I buy it cheap and then build it up to the way I like it. I then know that the car is solid and no body putty covering all the rust and holes. I see my acvw building projects as a hobby, I have a passion for the old ACVW's. I speak for myself here, I am definately not well off, I shop around to buy even the smallest parts. I have to buy parts on a monthly basis, due to funding constraints. There is absolutely no way I (and I assume others) can afford to purchase a vehicle for R60000 cash and then still have money to restore her. I see the ACVW game as a labour of love rather than being a spend thrifty exercise.

Bottom line:
I buy and build up ACVW because I love the cars, not to show others that I have the funds and show off the fact that I can afford R60000 for a bus that still need restoring. People that can affort to buy for that amount will probably have the vehicle restored by a company for them.

If I am not up to your financial standards then FCUK YOU!!
Last edited by Skymac on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageOnce a fanatic, always a fanatic
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

MINCE wrote:Not all of us drive new plastic cars. ...
Reread my post; I didn't say all of us. I don't own a new car and never have, and my youngest cars were built in 1975.
MINCE wrote:So take your comments back and rather aim them solely at the ones that do have the money and complain, instead of bringing in those who can do nothing but watch people screw us by charging those ridiculous prices and still say "i dropped the price...".
what-ever!
My comments stand; you don't need to take anything I say personally. And my comments cover the whingers who CAN afford these prices and even more to those who can't. If you can't afford it, shut up! Your whingeing adds no value. I also can't afford to buy buses at those prices and it burns me just as much that people on the other side of the planet dictate what is market value in SA. But, whether we like it or not, that is the reality. Whingeing about it won't change that. The challenge to all of us is to do whatever it takes to increase our own incomes. You're either up to the challenge or you're just another whiner.

And we all know that there are two markets in SA: cars like the two ovals and the collection sold in CTN recently that are still priced artificially low so poverty stricken locals can afford them; and then those that are being offered at prices that take any potential margin for exporters away. I have observed that cars in both categories sell to locals, and there are also cars in both categories that sit unsold for months (like the 57 SC). I know of at least three split buses that have sold to locals this past year for around R100k.

But my main point is, if you can't afford it, don't show off your poverty by whining about the prices of cars that aren't even priced close to global market rates. If a car is really overpriced it won't sell, and the seller will be left with the choice to reduce the price or keep the car. And that's nobody's business but the seller's.

As I already said: $how up or shut up!
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford