53%
I don't have an opinion.
13%

Total votes: 30

Barry
Single Port

Re: SC For Sale

Post by Barry »

beetlefanatic wrote:............you will sit with a car that cost way less than anything you can buy today, but yet every year the value will appreciate and before you know you will have a car that is worth R100k -R200k to someone.
And people will still bitch about it being overpriced, but that is their problem. If there is ONE person willing ot pay the price, then that is what it's worth. Period.
Amazing what people can get sand in their vag over........

Barry

Metalshaping courses, full builds, replacement panels.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Garage-Cl ... 2857822743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joose
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '63 Cal-look Ghia

Re: Worth R60k???

Post by joose »

how about this to an answer to this and the N.E.E.D topic:

a car (any car) is worth a different amount to every single person who considers buying it. Some people wouldn't even consider paying R17k for what, in their opinion, is a crappy old beetle with no power, no safety features and 70 year old technology. In many ways, this the the person who defines the "true value" of the car because he is not influenced by normative factors such as passion, enthusiasm, and other emotions. Instead, he is valuing the car based purely on its quantifiable and measurable attributes. Obviously (because we are on a forum for aircooled enthusiasts!), we are biased in our opinion of these cars because we ARE adding value based on the normative factors above. If you wanted to quantify it, you could come up with a simple formula like so : P = V + X where P is the price, V is the positive(free from emotional and other normative factors) value, and X is the value (to the individual) of the normative factors such as passion, etc (i.e that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see the car).

This is why we see such variation in the prices of these cars - the seller is basically applying (or taking advantage of in some cases) different values of X in the equation - he is passionate (or knows other people are passionate) about the car he is selling and is adding a amount of money he deems appropriate to the base value of the car (what its "Actually" worth) to account for that passion and enthusiasm.

anyway, my point is mearly that you want to buy cars from people who have very small values of X and sell them to people who have large values of X, all else constant :lol:

EDIT: I just thought of another important variable - rarity. If a car is rare, obviously it will attract higher value. I will include that with X though because its not a objective measure of a cars' value. Some cars are downright crap in every quantifiable way, but are worth a lot simply because they are rare, therefore, rarity is a normative value as well, its has nothing to do with the actual value of the car itself (would it still be worth the same amount if there were lots of them?)
Barry
Single Port

Post by Barry »

joose wrote:how about this to an answer to this and the N.E.E.D topic:

a car (any car) is worth a different amount to every single person who considers buying it. Some people wouldn't even consider paying R17k for what, in their opinion, is a crappy old beetle with no power, no safety features and 70 year old technology. In many ways, this the the person who defines the "true value" of the car because he is not influenced by normative factors such as passion, enthusiasm, and other emotions. Instead, he is valuing the car based purely on its quantifiable and measurable attributes. Obviously (because we are on a forum for aircooled enthusiasts!), we are biased in our opinion of these cars because we ARE adding value based on the normative factors above. If you wanted to quantify it, you could come up with a simple formula like so : P = V + X where P is the price, V is the positive(free from emotional and other normative factors) value, and X is the value (to the individual) of the normative factors such as passion, etc (i.e that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see the car).

This is why we see such variation in the prices of these cars - the seller is basically applying (or taking advantage of in some cases) different values of X in the equation - he is passionate (or knows other people are passionate) about the car he is selling and is adding a amount of money he deems appropriate to the base value of the car (what its "Actually" worth) to account for that passion and enthusiasm.

anyway, my point is mearly that you want to buy cars from people who have very small values of X and sell them to people who have large values of X, all else constant :lol:

EDIT: I just thought of another important variable - rarity. If a car is rare, obviously it will attract higher value. I will include that with X though because its not a objective measure of a cars' value. Some cars are downright crap in every quantifiable way, but are worth a lot simply because they are rare, therefore, rarity is a normative value as well, its has nothing to do with the actual value of the car itself (would it still be worth the same amount if there were lots of them?)
Way too much intellectualising the issue. ( and I re-quoted the entire post to make all that reading seem even more daunting) Calls on people to actually THINK. And then they may actually be forced to reconsider their position and take on board other points of view.....
I like the name calling and toddler tantrums better :wink:
Barry

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Garage-Cl ... 2857822743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joose
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '63 Cal-look Ghia

Post by joose »

Way too much intellectualising the issue. ( and I re-quoted the entire post to make all that reading seem even more daunting) Calls on people to actually THINK. And then they may actually be forced to reconsider their position and take on board other points of view.....
I like the name calling and toddler tantrums better :wink:

Lol! I figured that using maths was the best way to solve the debate! :lol: Although my model above doesnt really take account of exchange rates and international markets, so I would need to start using functions for that, and that is just too tedious :roll:

suffice to say that exchange rates affect all the values in the equation, making the final price either lower or higher in relative terms *yawn*
Dirk
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Beetle, Fasty

Post by Dirk »

Well done Joose.

You have now legitimized the use of the term:

"X Factor!" In the price of a car.

And quite possibly resolved the issue permanently!
For future reference, any individual that does not agree with a price will simply have to state:

"I can not account for that X Factor!"

And we will all know the person simply does not suffer the normative influences required to pay that price.

Damn well done!
http://djb.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

`68 Beetle
`66 Fastback
'90 Sunpacer
davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Post by davetapson »

Chris wrote::arrow:
Is an arrow worth R60k !?

WTF??
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Post by davetapson »

And it's BROKEN!!

Where's that poll again? There's just no way....
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

So...in the left corner(the guys with expensive cars)
Fig, Sambaowner, Beetlefanatic, Barry.........did I leave anyone out? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can never have enough Garages :-(
JamesD
Carburettor
What model do you have?: SP 1600

Post by JamesD »

SambaOwner wrote:So...in the left corner(the guys with expensive cars)
Fig, Sambaowner, Beetlefanatic, Barry.........did I leave anyone out? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
From fastest to slowest:

Birkin race car, not much is standard
Lotus Elise 111R, almost everything is standard
'75 SP 1600 with a few mods
B8 A4 Avant tdi, towing made easy
Barry
Single Port

Post by Barry »

JamesD69 wrote:
SambaOwner wrote:So...in the left corner(the guys with expensive cars)
Thanks for showing footage from the opposite camera James :wink:
Barry

bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Took 4pages to finally get the mickey taken out of this thread. excellente record. (waits for pine to post a mikey mouse or mikey blue eyes or mikey rouke picture)
More than meets the eye!
Sambabus
Short Block
What model do you have?: Classic campers

Post by Sambabus »

*Ive just come back from the bar*

Im so f@cken over people bitching and moaning,If you dont like the price,DONT BUY IT!!!!
The old cars we are into are getting more and more valuble,FACE IT!!!

Then put youreself in the sellers shoes,who knows its worth more,.....12 or 14000 pounds?And lower the price to 60 000 SA rands to keep it local and give all the local "enthusiasts" a chance of owning this peice of automotive history.Just to get the third degree from every tom DICK and harry!

Lowlights 58?WHo bought that,its a beaut,and iv tried selling a ball for cash (with no luck unfortunatly) to buy it(hang onto to it LL,Its mine,its just taking some time,SORRY CHUM)...its a SA car going for "SA" money,...but nothing from you lot!

I will not be ripped off if I ever HAD to sell my bus,...I decided when I got my bus that when the time comes I will give it to a young gun (like me) who LOVES the car and what it is as much as I do,because the money Iv spent on it and the amount of money it will be worth is just to much to charge some one.It would be "too much!"

Yes guys,I cant afford the bus,and every one that knows me knows I would LOVE to own that bus,or LL's beetle,but cant,I got over it,quietly!And I suggest everyone that has a problem with it does the same,because we are all over youre shit!
"ALL THAT LIVES IS BORNE TO DIE........NOTHING REALLY MATTERS." Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin.

"Crime is still goverments priority." SA Police spokesperson

RESPECT,EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE LOSING IT!!!
sp1600 uk
Drip
What model do you have?: sp1600

Post by sp1600 uk »

what a surreal post !!
and while i fully understand how you feel about you feel about all your good cars being shipped out for high prices mainly due to exchange rates if the seller is going to export one of your cars regardless ,he might as well fleece the buyer for as much as he can and bring some money in to your economy .
However the issues i have with your exporting policies is my car was brought over with its owner and his belonging when he moved here from natal 20 years ago and has nearly finished being restored back to its original spec however ther are a fer parts i need such as a replacement pair of front reflectors for the front wings ( as they were removed to pass th uk MOT) ,new front lower spoiler (hit a fox ) ,pair of air filters etc . And no one will ship blooy parts to the UK to allow me to finish the car so it has sat in the garage for 2 years waiting for bits or for me to get on a bloody plane and come and collect them !!!!!!!! :bn:
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

well sp, send me a list and i can see what i can source for you. i might as well say this in public as opposed to in a pm, 'the dark room'. what u require does not fall under the ***** catagory, but simply buying.
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin