Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
dubster
Valve
What model do you have?: buggy and '74 beetle

Re: Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Post by dubster »

Bratjie try precision race 011 979 0308 or jerry 082 779 6158 or clinton 072 049 8955

1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

''BLOOD AND TEARS WILL FLOW FOR ACVW'S,FOR LIFE''
dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

Bratjie try precision race 011 979 0308 or jerry 082 779 6158 or clinton 072 049 8955
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

Bratjie
Valve
What model do you have?: 74
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juan.buter
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Thx's for the numbers guy's,

I'm still going with the T3 turbo for experimental purposess though, a smaller turbo may have a crisper and lower boostthreshold but will also create greater backpressure between the turbine and the combustion chamber and also generally produce more intake air heat wich I think tipically defeats the object of getting better volumetric efficiency, the T3 may or may not only start kicking in at around 3500 to 4000 rpm's and it depends largely on what performance and driving style youre after. For me I just need short burst of energy from 2nd gear to 4th but no high speed flat out racing style. She wont be a street racer but will pull away from other normally aspirated engines (ac vw's) like they're looking for a parking spot. Ideally a 50% increase in power output would make an ideal daily driver without having to rev the gut's out of her, especially if daily driving means that she will be operating below boost most of the time anyway. :D

Anyhow, who would like to a shot at wich heads would perform better and for what reasons, single or twinport heads???? :?:
Esté robusto, ser fuerte!!!!

73 Beetle project
74 Beetle 2.1 WBX Turbo'ed & chargecooled
1959 Karmann Ghia Lefty, soon to be turbo'ed and chargecooled
Junior
Pushrod
What model do you have?: Had a 75 + 64 beetle

Post by Junior »

Surely if you want a powerful car but not for racing or going crazy fast why would you bother with a turbo? I would go for more low down torque by increasing piston size and counter weight and balance moving parts. I would also just invest in some decent Webber carbs and look at doing some adjustments to a set of twin port heads. I would go for a set of 94mm-69mm pistons balanced and run a w110 or w100 cam which would be a reliable way to get a rather decent amount of power. Then you wouldn't have to rev the car to pieces.

Just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:
Failing To Plan is Planning To Fail
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Junior wrote:Surely if you want a powerful car but not for racing or going crazy fast why would you bother with a turbo? I would go for more low down torque by increasing piston size and counter weight and balance moving parts. I would also just invest in some decent Webber carbs and look at doing some adjustments to a set of twin port heads. I would go for a set of 94mm-69mm pistons balanced and run a w110 or w100 cam which would be a reliable way to get a rather decent amount of power. Then you wouldn't have to rev the car to pieces.

Just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:
I totally agree with you there Junior, it's just a thing about Turbo's though :o You have a look at the younger laaities faces when they look at your car and you having to answer the questions they ask about power and torque and boost and whatever else - whether it makes sense or not- I just like to hear when they whisper to themselves -check daai Volla met n Turbo- huh :lol:

There's a saying going around " Turbo's make torque - and torque makes fun!!! :hangloose:

It's just a question of personal preferance :D

73 Beetle project
Junior
Pushrod
What model do you have?: Had a 75 + 64 beetle

Post by Junior »

:lol: :lol: I get where you coming from :hangloose: :hangloose:
Failing To Plan is Planning To Fail
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

So the build has started,

Today I received back the turbo, new bushes and veins fitted, looking very smart, cylinder heads are being ported over the weekend and will be assembled with s/steel valves by next week, I have bought a tuck away Turbo zorst system from Flatfour with uprated fuelpump and boost sensitive rising rate fuel regulator to enrich fuel mixture under boost, chromoly pushrods, camfollowers, high rev valve spring will take care of the valve train and double thrust cam bushes will make sure I don't pound the casing. Casing & crank will be ground next week agter wich the complete crank assembly with flywheel & clutch kit with rod's and pistons will go to Allen Y Brink to see if we can zero balance all, dont want any vibrations under boost.She'll be running with a 36 DD Dellorto and Turbo spe'cd as Follows,

T3 GARRET with stage 2 exhaust housing, Super 60 T3 Compressor with an A/R of .48. Boosting @ .5Bar ( 7.251 psi )

I'm gunning for about 160hp from this alone but won't know untill all is done :hangloose:

Hell, can't wait till all of this comes together :P I'm going to need a stronger clutch kit and stronger tranny I'm sure :hangloose:

73 Beetle project
dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

dont think the box will somer just break with 160hp,drove in a beetle the other day with a stock 13bt motor 130kw on the wheels or 170 odd horses and running stock 1300 box,just dont be harsh on the box and i should hold,he ran a 13,7 second quatermile pulling away slowly with wheel hop and granny shifting on odi,you should go chaeck out the bug its there in micheal brink peet jansens opel and isuzu accros from sabat it a red shaved beetle with 17' inch rims very nice and fast....
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

o still wanted to ask what you going to do about putting the power down,gearbox straps squat bar ect.?should call bugger up he supplies those stuff....
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

dubster wrote:o still wanted to ask what you going to do about putting the power down,gearbox straps squat bar ect.?should call bugger up he supplies those stuff....
I will speak to Bugger, for now I have to get the turbo engine assembled and started, budget is moertoe vor now :hangloose:
I have to do the disc brake conversion also so may be next month, just have to get the engine to perform properly.

73 Beetle project
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Std HP 46 (37kw) and you want 160...(120 kw)......... .5bar boost doubles horsepower so how much are you aiming for. balancing a stock crank will work for stock performance but with the kind of levels you are looking for way more needs to be done. but then it might be fun for the first 2 minutes.

I do not dispute the fact that this kind of performance can be had (we even got 200kw out of a basically std type four) but having that and keeping it streetable is two things.
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

IMPI wrote:Std HP 46 (37kw) and you want 160...(120 kw)......... .5bar boost doubles horsepower so how much are you aiming for. balancing a stock crank will work for stock performance but with the kind of levels you are looking for way more needs to be done. but then it might be fun for the first 2 minutes.

I do not dispute the fact that this kind of performance can be had (we even got 200kw out of a basically std type four) but having that and keeping it streetable is two things.
Sorry Imp, my head is so full of numbers and abbreviations that I'm getting Turbo nightmares at night,

I meant to say 120hp instead of 160hp, wich I think is easily achievable? :D

73 Beetle project
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Ho-hum, just waiting on the engineering guy's now, hurry up dammit :twisted: , I wanna start building this engine, just cannot wait anymore,
Who knows blow-off valves well? I want, want, want one that whistles between gearshifts :twisted: :hangloose:

73 Beetle project
dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

the normal ones just make a normal air dumping sound....the ones that "whistles" are call sequential dumpvalves they basicly have these bits at the end that acts like a whistle sorted like the straw you cut and put in your mouth and whistle with...google it youlle see what i mean quite a few vids on youtube....
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

the normal ones just make a normal air dumping sound....the ones that "whistles" are call sequential dumpvalves they basicly have these bits at the end that acts like a whistle sorted like the straw you cut and put in your mouth and whistle with...google it youlle see what i mean quite a few vids on youtube....
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy