Betty the Oval - Donovan D - ex-MINCE

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Re: Betty the Oval - MINCE

Post by MINCE »

Edmond wrote:You can get that cone shaped bump stop for the front suspension from Pro Auto Rubber in Killarney Gardens, they also stock a wide variety of rubber seals for the Beetle
Thanks, will give them a call to see if they are open on saturday

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Bushpig wrote:Mince, your number plate lights with the curve at the top are interesting and I can't find when the difference came in. Are you willing to part with one :?: I can give you a 60's one with light lens that can be used till you get the correct lens. I am also interested in one of you speaker grills. I can get you a second hand suspension rubber also.
I will have the spare speaker grill with me when you come through. I am not worried about electrics just yet. Want to get all chassis components sorted first.
I do have 2 of those plate lights so you can claim one if you like
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Update on this weekends work. Not much was done. Took the track-rod ends off to replace and in the one box, i got two that thread the same direction. So have to changew those. But I at least cleaned the rods and painted one of them (it was rather pitted). Will paint the longer one this weekend. Cleaned the front drums and painted the outside of one. Looking sweet! just got to paint the inside of it and do the same for the other side. Then the rear drums will get the same treatment. Will also do it to all 4 backing plates.

The wheels cylinders for the rear where also the wrong kind, so i am returning them with a backing plate in hand to find the correct ones. That may take time because I am not sure if many of them are around. Also draining the gearbox of the fluids so we can change the seals. At least the track rods and track rod ends will be done and in place along with that damper. (There is a damper bracket and it fits. Goes slightly over the fuel line point so will have to get a bend pipe to prevent friction on that.)

Clement came over to pick up my spare beam. We had a rad chinwag. Cool dude. And he also parted with my later style steering wheel which he was very happy about. So enjoy them Clement!

Was really cool finally hooking up with a forum member (hehehehehehehehe, 'member').

Didnt take pictures as my hands were took crusty and dirty for me to operate my phone. But when the drums are painted and the steering rods are in, will take pictures.
clement
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 60 Vrod, 62 Crew Cab

Post by clement »

Thanks for the beam and steering wheel, 2 less parts to find.

Did you manage to get sorted with the deck lid spring holder? If not, I had a look at mine, it should not be too difficult to make from scratch, possibly with strengtheners to make sure it does not snap again.

Instead of dipping the body why not get it blasted? Have a look at http://www.fineblast.co.za/ . Alternatively there is a tread somewhere on the forum about soda blasting and who does it in Cape Town.
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Glad you are happy dude.
Bushpig said he may have a spare bit of decklid that I can use to fix mine. But if that doesn't come right, I will let you know.

Don't think I am gonna blast the body down, I know it will be benificial, but a lot of work has been done already, but I will decide what to do when i get to the body. Thanks for the tip bro! Would love to see your volksrod when it is ready :)
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

clement wrote:Thanks for the beam and steering wheel, 2 less parts to find.

Did you manage to get sorted with the deck lid spring holder? If not, I had a look at mine, it should not be too difficult to make from scratch, possibly with strengtheners to make sure it does not snap again.

Instead of dipping the body why not get it blasted? Have a look at http://www.fineblast.co.za/ . Alternatively there is a tread somewhere on the forum about soda blasting and who does it in Cape Town.
Blasting is a good idea, BUT, when using Grit, it gets in everywhere and promotes new rust.
Glass blast is better, but also having the grit, in places you may not want.
CO2 blasting, is gentle fully evaporates, and is clean, BUT few guys can do it.

So if you can find a guy to do fine, gentle blasting, Then he must be able to coat that car within an hour, or your steel starts rusting again, which is worse then it was before...

Maybe if your car is not bad, you could treat the rust and coat it, maybe the safest bet.

With my 68 Fastback, I sandblasted the Loose parts, had them de rusted strait after, and E-Coated ( type of bake on primer) before the panels even dried.
The body, I painstakingly wire brushed the rust areas, heat-gun removed the paint, and treated it with rust converter, to kill the rust. then painted it al as normal with 2K paint, as it is water and air proof.
Hope this is helpful.
Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Bushpig
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1956, 1957 and 70's

Post by Bushpig »

Mince, Thanks for the get together, chat and the bits and pieces. I will keep a look out for the bits you also need. It is a great project and I am sure it will turn out great. :hangloose:

Retrovan,
Great advice, I will have to do the same chassis cleaning x 2. Now just to find a guy to do the gentle blasting. What is your recommendation to get all the gunk out of the inside the tunnel. After I get it out I will maybe try rust proofing like they used to spray in doors etc..
Any ideas :idea:

Mince Thanks again. :D
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

No worries dude.
I am still making my 'have to get' list. On my second pen now ;)
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Hey guys. No update from this weekend because no work was done. I have had a nerve pinch in my side for 3 weeks which made the first 2 weekends quite painful to deal with so i took this weekend as an opportunity to have a rest. It didn't work.

Also I am waiting on parts, and all i can do is sand and paint brake drums and backing plates.

Hopefully will have more news this weekend
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

btw, I have decided to not do the 12V conversion.
I think part of the charm of this car is that it was originally 6V and I would like to keep it that way.
YvaneS
Pushrod
What model do you have?: :)

Post by YvaneS »

I think part of the charm of this car is that it was originally 6V and I would like to keep it that way.
:hangloose:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

YvaneS wrote:
I Think that when you restore a car for its charm, and drive it every now and then, the 6V is best to keep..
BUT..
If you want to use the car as a every day runner, the cold start not happening, the bad head lights could lead to running some one over, the bad tail lights lead to some one running into the back of you, someone turning in front of you because they could not see your indicators, not being able to see when it rains, .......
these should be considered..................................... :shock:
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

retrovan wrote:
YvaneS wrote:
I Think that when you restore a car for its charm, and drive it every now and then, the 6V is best to keep..
BUT..
If you want to use the car as a every day runner, the cold start not happening, the bad head lights could lead to running some one over, the bad tail lights lead to some one running into the back of you, someone turning in front of you because they could not see your indicators, not being able to see when it rains, .......
these should be considered..................................... :shock:
I have considered it, also decided that it will not be an everyday runner, would want it to be but I do not think that driving something I see as invaluable to me on the raods everyday with stupid people on the same roads would not be a wise decision.
I have also taken quite an awesome battery charger that my father uses for the beach buggy and the other sedan which can keep charge for whatever voltage you set it to.
Also regulates the charge when the battery is fuilly charged, it stops. For cases where the vehicle sits idle for an age.
The beach buggy has has this connected, hasnt been started in 3 months and it started first time.
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

I have come across a problem.
I have been looking at the original papers of the car. It doesn't not have the chassis number on the forms but it does have an engine number. Problem is, the number of the engine currently with the car is a different number. I don't have the license plates to show it is the same. :shock:
Now,the papers say the car is green, but I do not see any green on the car except on the semaphores.

What must I do?
Bushpig
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1956, 1957 and 70's

Post by Bushpig »

Give the car to me. I have a nice home for her :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They say after the sh.T work is done then comes the paper work... we are in the same boat and will follow your success.
Keep at it. :hangloose: