Toyota 20v

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
nosedown
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969 Beetle

Toyota 20v

Post by nosedown »

Hi guys and girls.
It has been a while since i posted anything here, good to be back with the aircooled crowd.
Just a thought. i'm looking for an alternative motor conversion for one of my beetles.
I have done the rotary and golf engine swaps and they all have their pro's and con's, however, looking for something different.
The psycology behind going for the 20v is the modern tech the motor offers for a reasonable price as well as with some good tuning, making very good power which would make for an interesting ride.
Any thoughts? has anybody tried this combo yet?
any advise would be appreciated.
thanks..

1969 Beetle 1800 8v Golf with Side Draughts
1993 Uno Turbo.
Dark Cloud
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1973 Beetle 1600cc

Re: Toyota 20v

Post by Dark Cloud »

What are the cons of the golf engine swap? I've had that swap going through my mind ever since i saw a 1800 golf 1 engine for 800
JamesD
Carburettor
What model do you have?: SP 1600

Post by JamesD »

well I have a 2ZZ engined car and looking at buying a black top (20V) powered car on tuesday. they both brilliant motors, rev like anything, easily modified for power, plenty of parts, easy to maintain and get good fuel economy. The only con is that some people complain about the low down power, i dont think its too much of a worry. If you can then go for it. I'll pay close attention, also help if possible if i get the one on tueday. If i do then i will probably even have a dry sump kit on offer that has to come off it for Class B regulations.
From fastest to slowest:

Birkin race car, not much is standard
Lotus Elise 111R, almost everything is standard
'75 SP 1600 with a few mods
B8 A4 Avant tdi, towing made easy
nosedown
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969 Beetle

Post by nosedown »

Thanks, as stated, the thought behind going for a 20v conversion is the cost to power ratio.
Many will argue that a beetle motor can and will produce some serious power figures which i gree with, but at what cost and what sort of life span would a hipo boxer motor have?
As much as i would love to build a strong 1835cc dual carbed T1 motor or even a big bang T4, the reality is the cost element and trying to short change being a beele fanatic, airccoled rules, however, reliability and sense come into play when building these little babies.
it does pose a difficult choice to make.
I have gone the water cooled route and was very happy with the cars and to be very honest, had more fun in driving long distance runs with the watercooled beetle than with the aircooled beetle.
Dunno.
Need to think about it.
again thanks
1969 Beetle 1800 8v Golf with Side Draughts
1993 Uno Turbo.
4agedub
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Bug 1970,1972, 1974

Post by 4agedub »

A couple of years ago we built a 69 bug with toyota 4age 16v engine. It ran really well, cooling was 100%, good power... but I'm not sure if I will go the same route again. My 1914cc t1 would've killed the 4age on a 1/4 mile any day. For lifespan, the 4age would probably last a lot longer than a hipo t1 though...

If I do ever go this kind of route, I would rather go for a ser3 3sgte engine. 2lt turbo engine. :)
engine.jpg
DSC00719_jpg.jpg
DSC00718_jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VW Beetle 1303 - 2165cc Turbo
VW Beetle 1971 2332cc
VW Beetle 1969 - 2666cc Turbo
VW Beetle 1974 - 1600