VW Scirocco

Non ACVW models.
Junior
Pushrod
What model do you have?: Had a 75 + 64 beetle

VW Scirocco

Post by Junior »

Hey guys. I need a break from studying for my exams and my parents just bought this new car and its a VW and thought that one or two of you might just be interested in hearing some things about it. Maybe some of you guys have one or have driven one.

Okay my parents are in the crop-science business and cant go driving around a top notch sports car because the farmers start thinking they are making to much money and stop buying chemicals from them. Well actual the depose not the farmers, so they were stuck with two "work vehicles" which are in the businesses name and the business is in my dads name and my mom is the accountant. Their problem was that they did not technically own a private car so my dad put my beetle in his name and what do you know they did a ordit and said that he needs to get a private car just as a warning because they don't believe that he drives a beetle around town for some strange reason. :lol:

So now we all go shopping for a new car we looked at the Audi A1 and the A3 but we did not really like the look of the A3. The A1 if you are sitting in the back seat you head cant even come close to the head rest because it is stuck against the roof :evil: I was shocked that they could make such a stupid design error but it was not going to stop us from buying the car or anything but it did not in any way help us want to buy the car in any way. So we looked around for the rest of the day and eventually went back to the Audi center in PE and me been a huge VW fan had been begging to go look at the VW Scirocco so we walked across the road and look at the car. This was kind of as a joke and my parents said while we where walking there that whey would never be caught driving a VW around town. :lol:

Wow, was I impressed with its standard leather bucket seats just the around look of the car. Any way we were not aloud to test drive it as they did not have any demo models there as they are pretty rare and hard to find in SA. My parents eventual disided to go for the sporty VW instead of the Audi and arrived home with this new car a week ago. They had to choose between the 1.4L and the 2.0L but they knew they were going to go with the tiptronic gear box. So me wanting the bigger 2.0LTSI manged to influenced them enough to get it. Just so you know the specs it has a 2.0L petrol motor which puts out 155KW at 5300RPM and has a 0-100km/h in 6.9 seconds.

After begging and pleading I got to drive the car. I do have my learners so it was not e-legal. The drive was un-explainable I feel as if I'm am addicted to driving that thing. When you see it coming towards you, you know straight away that its a Scirocco and nothing else. VW has manged to build a car that is easy to drive, practical and it has as much classiness as a high class Audi. All this still with its completely different feel. If I were to give you a list of the things I would change about the whole car It would consist of this:
Move the inside door handles forwards and well that is the only thing I could find wrong with the whole car.
If any of you have something to say about it bad or good please tell me, I'm listening with all ears. :D

Cool well Iv got to get back to work. Cheers

This is the same as my parents, with the sun roof coming off the front windscreen

Failing To Plan is Planning To Fail
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Re: VW Scirocco

Post by MINCE »

A good friend of mine is a magazine editor and reviews cars all the time. Each week he has a different car.
He drove this and liked it and said the R version is brilliant. But it is 3-door. For a family of three, it is a silly choice.

To me, I am not a fan of this car. I don't like the looks of it. Some angles it looks great, other angles it looks awkward. The wheel arches are too square for my liking.
I jhave not driven one, so i cannot say how it drives, but with modern cars, they all drive well.

I would still look for something more practical and less shouty as this Scirocco. That is my feeling at least.
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
Golfmad
Valve
What model do you have?: niks

Post by Golfmad »

Awesome looking cars, but I have some difficulty getting in and out since its so damn low and the seats are seriously too big especially the side bolsters :oops:
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

I love the look of this car, it carries alot of the previous models lines into this new version. Seriously sexy!

Ill take one in Black thank you!BUT would go for the TDi purely for the fuel economy and on the long road it will beat the petrol cars from here to JHB....

Good buy IMHO...
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

hehehehehe, I must be the only person that doesn't like it.
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I definitely like the car but think VW made a pretty stupid mistake with the design.
During modelling the car, they forgot about boot hinges. So in final production they had to put this stupid bubbles in the roof for the hinges.
I spotted this in Zurich airport on a demo about 6 months before they started selling the car and each time I look at the rear, I cant help but notice how bad those bumps look.
Otherwise its a stunning car.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Stunning cars, have driven one that had some APR software and it was quick :twisted:

I would obviously change the wheels and slam it down down down.....
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

VW Scirocco

Post by beetlepower »

Hey Mince, who is your friend, I probably know him being in that game myself...
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Steve Smith
69bug
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: Not enough!

Post by 69bug »

Golfmad, you say it low when getting in? Try a Lowlight Ghia...
"TSW" and "Street Rod" should not be used in the same sentence! - Barry
boxerulez
Clutch
What model do you have?: '71 T1 | '75 T2b Ex
Facebook: www.facebook.com/vvzyl

Post by boxerulez »

I don't like it. Sorry. Shoulda held out for the 2012 Beetle
"I'll sleep when I'm dead!"
Golfmad
Valve
What model do you have?: niks

Post by Golfmad »

69bug wrote:Golfmad, you say it low when getting in? Try a Lowlight Ghia...
See, Im a bit of a big bloke :mrgreen: so I basically just cant fit, its too cramped inside, and the roof is so low my head sticks out the window - thats why I drive a high 4x4 and a high bus ! 8) :D